Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-30-2009, 07:32 PM
a2t a2t is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 941
saying goodbye to the benz (sadly). Need 3 kid hauler

After roughly 60k miles nearly troublefree (240k-300k) Im going to be needing a larger vehicle as the 87 300D will be too small for a 3rd kid. This car has been great thru thick and thin and I will be really sad to see her go. I wish there was some way to finagle a 3rd car seat in the back but its just too small.

A brief history of time with this thing (for my own sentiments) :

Bought at 239k from second owner with all records and even the original sticker! This car has made me appreciate the engineering that went into the MB's from the 80's. At 250k I put on the Frybrid veg oil kit which has run flawlessly for the last 50k miles and probably has saved me $6k in fuel alone. Ive taken her on long car trips and used it as a daily with just about no problems. Ive used it as a power generator during the Atlanta tornado in March of 08, where it sat idling in the driveway for 12 hrs powering refrigerators and TV's (its got the 120 amp bosch in it), all the while getting pounded by 50 mph winds and hail, and running on wvo. I cant say enough about the design of this car, if I had the chance to build a new car, it would be based on this thing for sure.

So...whats a good SUV recommendation for a family w/3 kids? Been looking at the Exped, Sequoia, Pathfinder from 07 on. Man its going to suck paying for gas again but I guess its enivitable. Still thinking about the SDL but I dont know if even that is big (wide) enough. I will surely look into it!

Also wanted to say what a great forum this is. Ive learned just about everything from fellow members, having never owned a diesel before. You guys are great and Im sure I will be back at some point. I will keep the 300D until early next year but then it will sadly be departing my garage. I doubt anything even newer will be designed as well as this thing is.
__________________
Paul
Benz-less
I need an SDL !
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 PM
oldsinner111's Avatar
love all animals
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: bristol,tn
Posts: 5,655
Good Suv ML320 CDI.You can find them used.
__________________
my lifetime,I'v seen the world go to hell,and america, a facist country.we need a 7 mile wide asteroid hit, to save earth from mankind
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Sev's Avatar
Sev Sev is offline
Infractions: 99/99 (999)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,442
there's always the option of putting the bad apple of the three up for adoption

i'm just sayin...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sunsites, AZ
Posts: 692
Don't realy know your situation . . .but could oldest child sit up front in a car seat? Would Momma fit in back w/two youngest in car seats . . .

On another note look for a Euro "Lang" model "extra row" of seats, but may be hard to hook a carseat too . . .

Maybe a retired limo that was a diesel . . .

Like this in GB http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/-----MERCEDES-220D-LIMOUSINE-DIESEL-1971-W115_W0QQitemZ300351660229QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxq20090928?IMSfp=TL090928159001r5968

Or this http://belfast.gumtree.com/belfast/50/43166950.html
__________________
82 240D Manual 277K and still rolling!
02 Volvo S60 AWD For Sale

Last edited by Shawn T. W.; 09-30-2009 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Add link
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-30-2009, 09:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gardnerville, Nv
Posts: 40
Here's the solution; too bad this isn't available here: 2009 Chrysler 300C estate 3.0 CRD
(yes, a Mercedes diesel!)

__________________
1982 240D auto 152k
1984 380SL 113k
2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
Previous:
1985 300DT
1984 190D 5sp Euro
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-30-2009, 09:08 PM
okyoureabeast's Avatar
Rogue T Tolerant
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North America
Posts: 1,635


Problem solved!
__________________
-Typos courtesy of my mobile phone.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 PM
JimFreeh's Avatar
Benz addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hampton Roads, Virginia
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2t View Post
Im going to be needing a larger vehicle as the 87 300D will be too small for a 3rd kid. I wish there was some way to finagle a 3rd car seat in the back but its just too small.

We had three daughters 2yrs apart each. So, that was four years between the oldest and youngest.

Started with a Taurus wagon, then an 87 300TD (which arrived in 93 concurrently with the youngest), which was replaced by a 95 E320 wagon.

Worked for us....

Jim

And, no, I didn't have a minivan or SUV, just sedans.... W115s, W201, W123s, and W124s then back to W123 for me as a daily driver....
__________________
14 E250 BlueTEC black
94 E320 Cabriolet Emerald green
85 300TD 4 spd manual dark blue
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-30-2009, 09:53 PM
turbobenz's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Cameron Park CA
Posts: 1,863
w126 long wheelbase and have a third shoulder belt installed
__________________
1981 300SD 512k OM603


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-30-2009, 09:59 PM
JimFreeh's Avatar
Benz addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Hampton Roads, Virginia
Posts: 3,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobenz View Post
w126 long wheelbase and have a third shoulder belt installed

Yea, that works too, now that they are pretty much grown....

Don't have to worry about it much anymore, they all want to drive their own cars.....

Jim

If you look at the specs, there is not a significant difference in the width between a W126 and a W124. Didn't realize that until after I bought my 560......

Jim
__________________
14 E250 BlueTEC black
94 E320 Cabriolet Emerald green
85 300TD 4 spd manual dark blue
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-30-2009, 10:21 PM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 15,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2t View Post
After roughly 60k miles nearly troublefree (240k-300k) Im going to be needing a larger vehicle as the 87 300D will be too small for a 3rd kid. This car has been great thru thick and thin and I will be really sad to see her go. I wish there was some way to finagle a 3rd car seat in the back but its just too small.

A brief history of time with this thing (for my own sentiments) :

Bought at 239k from second owner with all records and even the original sticker! This car has made me appreciate the engineering that went into the MB's from the 80's. At 250k I put on the Frybrid veg oil kit which has run flawlessly for the last 50k miles and probably has saved me $6k in fuel alone. Ive taken her on long car trips and used it as a daily with just about no problems. Ive used it as a power generator during the Atlanta tornado in March of 08, where it sat idling in the driveway for 12 hrs powering refrigerators and TV's (its got the 120 amp bosch in it), all the while getting pounded by 50 mph winds and hail, and running on wvo. I cant say enough about the design of this car, if I had the chance to build a new car, it would be based on this thing for sure.

So...whats a good SUV recommendation for a family w/3 kids? Been looking at the Exped, Sequoia, Pathfinder from 07 on. Man its going to suck paying for gas again but I guess its enivitable. Still thinking about the SDL but I dont know if even that is big (wide) enough. I will surely look into it!

Also wanted to say what a great forum this is. Ive learned just about everything from fellow members, having never owned a diesel before. You guys are great and Im sure I will be back at some point. I will keep the 300D until early next year but then it will sadly be departing my garage. I doubt anything even newer will be designed as well as this thing is.
Why an "SUV", why not a fuel efficient MB or VW wagon....diesel or gas....or an R-class.....or an ML Diesel......

A domestic or Japanese SUV? Going from a W124 300D to one of those is an utterly horrifying thought.

I will have no more than 2 children just so they fit in any MB!
__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'15 GLK250 Bluetec 82k - mine - (OC-85,500)
'17 Metris(VITO!) - 12k - wifes (OC-17k)
'01 E320 Wagon - 159k - mine (OC-160,000)
'01 E320 - 176k - dad's (OC-182,500)
'07 E350 Wagon - 131k - dad's (OC-132,500)
'01 SL500 - 51k - dad's (OC-52,000)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 56k - Brothers (OC-64,000)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Unofficial wormcan opener
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashland, MA
Posts: 2,602
You just need to find a nice 300TD.
__________________
1987 300TD 309, xxx 2.8.2014 10,000 mile OCI


Be careful of the toes you step on today, as they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. anonymous

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.” Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-30-2009, 10:52 PM
okyoureabeast's Avatar
Rogue T Tolerant
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: North America
Posts: 1,635
Here's one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mercedes-Benz-300-Series-NO-RESERVE-1985-MERCEDES-300TD-TURBO-DIESEL-WGN-CA-CAR-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem2ea7ffa1f2QQitemZ200387043826QQptZUSQ5f CarsQ5fTrucks

Looks like the car has been ravaged by the california emissions nuts though
__________________
-Typos courtesy of my mobile phone.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-30-2009, 10:56 PM
Unofficial wormcan opener
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ashland, MA
Posts: 2,602
Except for the fact that he has driven a 124. It would be hard to be happy in a 123. At least for me it would.
__________________
1987 300TD 309, xxx 2.8.2014 10,000 mile OCI


Be careful of the toes you step on today, as they may be connected to the ass you have to kiss tomorrow. anonymous

“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter, and those who matter won’t mind.” Dr. Seuss
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 PM
Avarec's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 238
a diesel crd jeep liberty
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-01-2009, 01:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: California
Posts: 58
I own a 1984 300 SD. I have three kids, 8 yr. girl, 6 yr. girl, and 2 yr. boy. I fit all three kids in the back seat. The boy is still in a full car seat and the two girls were in booster seats until they got big enough to not use them. It was tight with the full seat in the middle and the boosters on either side, but they fit. Plus, whatever you get, you gotta stick with the veg oil, its been so good to you. So there is the 300SD or SDl, 1991-1999 Chevy Suburban, an 80's mercedes wagon, or an Excursion with the PSD engine, or if your feeling really frisky you could look for a Sprinter van.

Gilbert
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page