Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 10-19-2009, 03:04 PM
toomany MBZ's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: central Va
Posts: 7,820
This is from the January 1993 "Technical Data Passenger Cars".
Attached Thumbnails
Need a link to the procedure, plz...-cooling-capacity.jpg  
__________________
83 SD

84 CD
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-19-2009, 03:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
You would be quibbling about the difference between quarts and liters.............and an error of 5%...........unless you want to quibble about that as well.
That is factually and mathematically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post

Your stated capacity for the 617.951 is factually incorrect.
I never made any statement whatsoever regarding the 617.951 engine.

The information which I provided is applicable to the subject vehicle (presumably a '85 300D with a 617.952 engine) and is accurate per the 617.95 FSM for the W123 chassis.

It is worth noting that coolant capacity is a function of chassis and engine combination and cannot be defined on the basis of the engine model only.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-19-2009, 03:18 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
That is factually and mathematically incorrect.
That is a factually incorrect statement on both points.


Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
I never made any statement whatsoever regarding the 617.951 engine.
You made a statement regarding the 617.952 engine, and, the data which I possess shows the two engines to have identical capacities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post

The information which I provided is applicable to the subject vehicle (presumably a '85 300D with a 617.952 engine) and is accurate per the 617.95 FSM for the W123 chassis.

It is worth noting that coolant capacity is a function of chassis and engine combination and cannot be defined on the basis of the engine model only.
It is worth noting that my data doesn't agree with whatever you've managed to unearth.




Last edited by Brian Carlton; 10-19-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-19-2009, 03:41 PM
MattBelliveau's Avatar
Gotta another one...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,685
Who's gonna have the last word? I hope the OP got what he needed from this thread...
__________________
1989 300E 144K
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Freehold, NJ
Posts: 142
Guys, enough already. Some of us depend on these posts for some quality advice. Don't need the squabbling. There are now 2 seaparte documents posted earlier which show the proper amount for the stated engine. Let's move on.
Now, you guys glossed right over my post. So I'll ask again and hopefully get some helpful advice Does any have a detailed procedure to perform the complete flush on the 606 engine? A 99 E330 TD? A pictorial of the engine would help, as I don't even know where the block drain plug is. Last time I did it, I only flushed the radiator, which I know is an incomplete job.
__________________
Mike Mass
Freehold, NJ

1999 E300 TD 178,000 miles
2007 E320 Bluetec - Sold

1998 E300 TD - R.I.P.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemass1221 View Post

Now, you guys glossed right over my post.
Absolutely not. Your attempt to hijack the thread was duly noted!!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-19-2009, 04:33 PM
MattBelliveau's Avatar
Gotta another one...
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 1,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemass1221 View Post
Last time I did it, I only flushed the radiator, which I know is an incomplete job.
Egads! You only flushed the radiator! My god, how do you sleep at night, sir!
__________________
1989 300E 144K
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-19-2009, 04:50 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post

It is worth noting that my data doesn't agree with whatever you've managed to unearth.


I believe that was noted previously, but I am happy to note it again.

Having personally drained over three gallons of coolant from a 617.952 equipped W123, I am going to go out on limb and suggest that your data is flawed. But finding conflicting data in an official MB publication is not exactly unheard of. As previously indicated, my data was from the MB 617.95 FSM, as specified for the W123 chassis. The Owner's Manual for my '82 300D also indicates a coolant capacity of 12.5 liters.

The Owner's Manual also contains a table listing the volume of antifreeze required to attain specific protection levels.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
I believe that was noted previously, but I am happy to note it again.

Having personally drained over three gallons of coolant from a 617.952 equipped W123, I am going to go out on limb and suggest that your data is flawed. But finding conflicting data in an official MB publication is not exactly unheard of. As previously indicated, my data was from the MB 617.95 FSM, as specified for the W123 chassis. The Owner's Manual for my '82 300D also indicates a coolant capacity of 12.5 liters.

The Owner's Manual also contains a table listing the volume of antifreeze required to attain specific protection levels.
The data I posted is from "Service Manual, Engine 617.95 Turbo Diesel" and my results in draining and refilling the system correlate very closely to slightly under 12 quarts............matching the 11 liter statement in the manual.

If you're able to get over 13 quarts into a 617.95...........you deserve an achievement award for such a feat.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-19-2009, 04:59 PM
Craig
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
FWIW, my copy of the service manual (20-010) says 11L (including heater), but my '83 owners manual says 12.5L.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
The data I posted is from "Service Manual, Engine 617.95 Turbo Diesel" and my results in draining and refilling the system correlate very closely to slightly under 12 quarts............matching the 11 liter statement in the manual.
It looks like we "unearthed" the exact same publication!!! Take a look at page 00-020/3.

Of course, that same page claims that the water pump is "maintenance free." If that's the case, why does the manual provide maintenance procedures for the water pump?

Last edited by tangofox007; 10-19-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-19-2009, 05:35 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangofox007 View Post
It looks like we "unearthed" the exact same publication!!! Take a look at page 00-020/3.
You're correct. The same manual lists 12.5 liters in that section.

So..........I have no idea which is correct............although getting 13 quarts into the system is not going to be easy. This could also be the result of residual coolant that won't drain even with the block drain removed.

When I recently did the W-126, I blew out the lines into the heater core to ensure that this did not compromise the new coolant. I was unable to get 12 quarts into it............even though I carefully filled the head.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page