PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Diesel Discussion (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/)
-   -   300sdl no power untill 2500 rpm rich exaust (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/268497-300sdl-no-power-untill-2500-rpm-rich-exaust.html)

farmer32 01-01-2010 10:13 AM

300sdl no power untill 2500 rpm rich exaust
 
I am a new owner of a 1987 300sdl and it starts great idels a little rough however the problem is no power untill 2500 rpm or untill you get up to 20-30 miles per hour. It smokes dark rich smelling not oil. no real oil consumtion. anyboby have an idea for me to start? Iam new to the deisel (plenty of gas powered experience) HELP?

3diesel 01-01-2010 11:23 AM

starting
 
3 areas to check first....glow plugs, injection pump, injectors.....get a leakdown test...and a compression test...these models tent to have bad head gasgets.....but otherwise a great engine...replace the head gasket and should be great

harrywat 01-01-2010 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by farmer32 (Post 2372349)
I am a new owner of a 1987 300sdl and it starts great idels a little rough however the problem is no power untill 2500 rpm or untill you get up to 20-30 miles per hour. It smokes dark rich smelling not oil. no real oil consumtion. anyboby have an idea for me to start? Iam new to the deisel (plenty of gas powered experience) HELP?

I may have some of this backwards but it appears you may need more air. On a dust free road, remove the air filter and see if things change.

Make sure the tube in the photo is clear, as well the hole going into the intake manifold. I have a white test lead clamp attached to the tube.

Are you up to date on your fuel filter status?

Harry

NJ300sdl 01-01-2010 11:52 AM

Had the same problem. Injection pump was bad. Thought it was the delivery valves, replacement did not help. Check the basics, including timing of cam and pump.

farmer32 01-01-2010 11:53 AM

next
 
It apprears to have new glow plugs as I found the old ones in the floor board, the IP looks clean as if some one has rebuilt it or at least had it off and cleaned it up because it lookes verry clean and you can see where the head has been off because everything below the head is grease covered and the head is not. any other ideas, before I can get this checked out? Thanks

oldsinner111 01-01-2010 11:59 AM

could be water in fuel.I run Iso Heet for diesels.2 bottles if bad,or once a month.

farmer32 01-01-2010 12:36 PM

Ialready had made sure no water in fuel, any other ideas? thanks

Codifex Maximus 01-01-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harrywat (Post 2372391)
I may have some of this backwards but it appears you may need more air. On a dust free road, remove the air filter and see if things change.

I agree. Sounds like it's starved for air. How's the turbo working?

seanarcher 01-01-2010 02:21 PM

pull the manifold exhaust off after the turbo.if it seems to run much better look at this link.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/225223-oxycat-2.html?highlight=603+trap

Brandon_SLC 01-01-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanarcher (Post 2372479)
pull the manifold exhaust off after the turbo.if it seems to run much better look at this link.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/225223-oxycat-2.html?highlight=603+trap

Most enlightening! The pics of the inside of the cat are amazing. I'm a amazed the car would move at all.

Hit Man X 01-02-2010 03:52 AM

Been telling 603 guys for years to gut the cat under the car. :rolleyes:

layback40 01-02-2010 05:32 AM

could it be the turbo waste gate valve is jammed open?
Or the turbo bearings are tight and not spooling up properly (not so likely).

seanarcher 01-02-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hit Man X (Post 2372846)
Been telling 603 guys for years to gut the cat under the car. :rolleyes:

It is not a catalytic converter is it?
It is called a trap oxidizer i believe,or is it a particulate filter?

Either way it needs to go.Going to do this mod soon.
Did these vehicles come with that on the car before or after the dealer took off the trap in the engine bay?

muleears 01-02-2010 11:03 AM

You might try tweaking the ALDA (do a search, you'll have days of reading). It made a big difference on my 124 (603). Not sure if yours has one or not but the banjo bolt at the back of the intake can get clogged with soot and not send the proper boost signal. These are just a couple quick, cheap things to look at.

Hit Man X 01-02-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanarcher (Post 2372873)
It is not a catalytic converter is it?
It is called a trap oxidizer i believe,or is it a particulate filter?

Either way it needs to go.Going to do this mod soon.
Did these vehicles come with that on the car before or after the dealer took off the trap in the engine bay?



Well its technical name is a Diesel Oxidation Catalyst I believe... sort of like a soot trap type of deal.

Trap Ox was mounted under the hood. Then when that proved to be a very poor idea, the trap ox was deleted and the DOC was installed below the car. There are still 603s out there with the Trap Ox, but this is not too common.

Supposedly this was only on '86 CA cars and all '87 cars. I do not know about the '90+ cars, never looked close when I had seen one in person.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website