Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 PM
'86 300SDL 205K
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 19
Brake Fluid Test Button Caps

1986 300SDL
Had to replace the master cylinder. When going to pressure bleed the system, I am getting air leaks around the 2 black button caps. I can't find them on a parts list anywhere, checked local auto parts stores and Mercedes Complete.
Ideas on where to get these 2 little guys?

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2010, 08:54 PM
'86 300SDL 205K
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 19
Question 2, from reading other posts on these guys...seems to be a common leak problem when pressure bleeding. If manually bled, will this be an issue? Hate to sound dumb, but I have always been under the impression that air leaks in brakes = a bad thing...
Thanks ya'll
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cape Cod Massachusetts
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte View Post
1986 300SDL
Had to replace the master cylinder. When going to pressure bleed the system, I am getting air leaks around the 2 black button caps. I can't find them on a parts list anywhere, checked local auto parts stores and Mercedes Complete.
Ideas on where to get these 2 little guys?
MB dealership item about $6 each!

Black Protective caps:
A001 431 26 87 Girling
A000431 90 87 Teves

http://www.peachparts.com//shopforum/showthread.php?t=265515


Bleeding the brakes using the pedal the brake fluid reservoir is at ambient atmosphere pressure and there will not be any leaking from it.

If this is your first time bleeding MB brakes, most if not all MB reservoirs have a rear chamber that is only filled by overflowing the front chamber. If you're bleeding the rear brakes you will need to make certain the the reservoir is keep full enough to overflow from front to rear to avoid pumping the rear chamber dry and introducing air into the MC and the rear circuit.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 PM
'86 300SDL 205K
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 19
Thanks, Billybob!
I'll my Merc mechanic and see if he has them in the morning, if not I'll call the dealership.
And thanks to this forum, I had seen about the rear cylinder and got that....
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob View Post
MB dealership item about $6 each!

Black Protective caps:
A001 431 26 87 Girling
A000431 90 87 Teves

http://www.peachparts.com//shopforum/showthread.php?t=265515


Bleeding the brakes using the pedal the brake fluid reservoir is at ambient atmosphere pressure and there will not be any leaking from it.

If this is your first time bleeding MB brakes, most if not all MB reservoirs have a rear chamber that is only filled by overflowing the front chamber. If you're bleeding the rear brakes you will need to make certain the the reservoir is keep full enough to overflow from front to rear to avoid pumping the rear chamber dry and introducing air into the MC and the rear circuit.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Jeremy5848's Avatar
Registered Biodiesel User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sonoma Wine Country
Posts: 8,394
Sure wish they were that inexpensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybob View Post
MB dealership item about $6 each!

Black Protective caps:
A001 431 26 87 Girling
A000431 90 87 Teves
Part number 000 431 90 87 was $12.92 list at my dealer, $10.98 after 15% MBCA discount. YMMV.

W124 takes two such caps, W210 takes one. The one on my '96 E300D looked as if it had been chewed by a rodent. Leaked brake fluid all over when I tried to pressure bleed the system.

Jeremy
__________________

"Buster" in the '95

Our all-biodiesel family
1995 E300D (W124) . .239,000 miles My car
1996 E300D (W210) . .313,000 miles Wife's car
Santa Rosa population 170,685 (2012)
Total. . . . . . . . . . . . 722,685
"Oh lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz."
-- Janis Joplin, October 1, 1970
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Toronto
Posts: 394
i'll add that it is very important to get the right ones, ate or girling. there is a nub on the girling ones that if you were install them on an ate reservoir, it will prevent the rear chamber to fill, and make bleeding very frustrating.
__________________
________________

punkinfair
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:40 PM
'86 300SDL 205K
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkinfair View Post
i'll add that it is very important to get the right ones, ate or girling. there is a nub on the girling ones that if you were install them on an ate reservoir, it will prevent the rear chamber to fill, and make bleeding very frustrating.
How to tell the difference? I had the reservior off in my hand and I don't think I saw a name. On the power booster there is a Girling sticker, if that matters...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2010, 09:51 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cape Cod Massachusetts
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy5848 View Post
Part number 000 431 90 87 was $12.92 list at my dealer, $10.98 after 15% MBCA discount. YMMV.

W124 takes two such caps, W210 takes one. The one on my '96 E300D looked as if it had been chewed by a rodent. Leaked brake fluid all over when I tried to pressure bleed the system.

Jeremy
I just assumed that this poster meant he got both for $12 hence the $6 each!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonshearer View Post
Went to the dealer who had two replacement caps; cost about $12.

Hooked up the Motive bleeder and set the pressure at about 10psi.

Worked brilliantly!

I now have strong brakes again.

Thanks everyone!
I'll start popping them off and hoarding them now!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-13-2010, 04:50 AM
compress ignite's Avatar
Drone aspiring to Serfdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 32(degrees) North by 81(degrees) West
Posts: 5,554
Jeremy5848

Our Sponsor's:
Attached Thumbnails
Brake Fluid Test Button Caps-screenhunter_02-jan.-13-03.48.gif  
__________________
'84 300SD sold
124.128
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-13-2010, 10:19 PM
'86 300SDL 205K
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 19
My Mercedes guy had them, $4.50 each. Pressure bled the system tonight, brakes are tighter than since I bought this darling...

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page