PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Diesel Discussion (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/)
-   -   Battery size 49N for a 300D? (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/270396-battery-size-49n-300d.html)

JWJ 01-28-2010 09:23 AM

Battery size 49N for a 300D?
 
Walmart has size 49N for $75 + tax.

Will a 49N fit in my 300D?

The Walmart auto rep was unsure of the correct dimensions.

POS 01-28-2010 09:28 AM

The 49 series battery is a suitable replacement for the 93 series (what your car should have). The Wal-Mart batteries are the cheap line of Interstate batteries, and although the Interstate batteries are the best of the best, the Walmart version is about as good as an Autozone version (not very). Then again, $75 is a good price and when/if the battery fails in the next two years, Walmart will gladly sell you another one (pro-rated).

tangofox007 01-28-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JWJ (Post 2392744)

Will a 49N fit in my 300D?

It will fit, but it's 5/16" taller than a Group 93, so installation is slightly more difficult.


Quote:

Originally Posted by POS (Post 2392745)
The Wal-Mart batteries are the cheap line of Interstate batteries...

What leads you to that conclusion? My information suggests that Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls; same for Autozone, Advance, Pep Boys.

Quote:

Originally Posted by POS (Post 2392745)
...and when/if the battery fails in the next two years, Walmart will gladly sell you another one (pro-rated).

Walmart offers free replacement for either two or three years (depending on the battery model) then prorated replacement for 6-7 years.

John Schroader 01-28-2010 11:09 AM

Just a couple of weeks ago I had a WalMart battery installed in my car. Have always had good luck with their batteries and love the warranty and abundance of WalMarts. Usually I buy the battery and install it myself. Since the weather was dreadful and installation is free, I decided to have them put it in. I mean, how can you mess this job up? While waiting I happened to glance through the window to the shop and saw the installer pounding the terminal on with a large hammer. He was really pounding too. I'm hanging onto my warranty papers.

POS 01-28-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangofox007 (Post 2392792)
What leads you to that conclusion? My informatiomn suggests that Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls; same for Autozone, Advance, Pep Boys.

Because I'm an Interstate dealer and I know where they get their batteries (at least down here in Texas); Interstate won't allow me to warranty a Wal-Mart Interstate batt bc they're a lesser quality. From the mouth of Interstate themselves.

Quote:

Walmart offers free replacement for either two or three years (depending on the battery model) then prorated replacement for 6-7 years.
Yeah, I know.

Brian Carlton 01-28-2010 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by POS (Post 2393209)
Because I'm an Interstate dealer and I know where they get their batteries (at least down here in Texas); Interstate won't allow me to warranty a Wal-Mart Interstate batt bc they're a lesser quality. From the mouth of Interstate themselves.



The real question is who makes "Interstate" batteries? It's a good marketing ploy..........the battery is no better than any other battery with a similar warranty.

I'd suggest that the Duralast with an 84 month warranty will go the same distance as an Interstate.

layback40 01-28-2010 10:09 PM

Wow!! 7 year warranty on a battery!! You guys are lucky.
Down here we are lucky to get 2 years. If you dont abuse them they last 3 or 4 years.
We have some indi's selling battery's made in Fiji, they are like Indian injector nozzles. The battery case size for a MB makes them more expensive here, they are a European spec, The cheaper alternates are N70 and 86 case sizes, they dont fit well though.
As a simple rule, I have heard, the heavier the battery, the more lead in it, so the longer it lasts (assuming the build quality is there).

oldiesel 01-28-2010 10:12 PM

I recently had a Walmart deep cycle battery 13 months old, warranty was 1yr free and then 2 yrs prorated so 1month into the prorated it cost me half the price of a new battery!
The battery i got says"distributed by Johnson controls" it does NOT say made by.I have a Walmart battery in a 49cc motor scooter that says distributed by Johnson controls made in Taiwan. They tried to not honor the warranty on the deep cycle saying it just needed a charge,after some discussion they relented and gave it to me and stated that there is now no warranty on the one they gave me.That makes me wonder where those are being made.
I am afraid the days of getting a good quality battery at Walmart are gone,i used to really like the yellow ones they sold that said MADE by Johnson controls, had very good luck with those in a few cars.

tangofox007 01-28-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by layback40 (Post 2393268)
Wow!! 7 year warranty on a battery!! You guys are lucky.

The long warranty is a marketing ploy; it is not a reasonable predictor of longevity. The manufacturers want the battery to fail near the end of the warranty period. That way, the customer choses to purchase another battery of the same brand rather than "waste" the value of the remaining warranty credit. Walmart used to issue a cash refund in the case of a battery warranty claim; now they only issue a credit towards a new battery purchase.

Brian Carlton 01-28-2010 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangofox007 (Post 2393317)
The long warranty is a marketing ploy; it is not a reasonable predictor of longevity.

The battery in the SD, an Autozone Duralast, with an 84 month warranty was installed in February 2003.

It has no problems starting the SD at temperatures that are close to 0°F.

You can draw your own conclusions about longevity.

tangofox007 01-29-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Carlton (Post 2393320)

You can draw your own conclusions about longevity.

Here is a quote from an Interstate Battery newsletter. It make it very clear that the warranty length is about perception, not reality.

"Ten years ago, Interstate Batteries was the first in the professional-installers battery market to offer an 18-month free-replacement warranty. The time has come once again for Interstate to beat our competition. Improving the warranty is sure to give you a competitive edge and to help you sell more batteries. And longer warranties give consumers a perception of longer battery life and quality.
Longer life/warranty is the most persuasive aspect in selling an automotive battery, far more persuasive than price. In a survey conducted by Spectrum Research, 800 battery purchasers were asked, “Why did you select the battery you bought?” The vast majority named “Warranty / Life Expectancy” as the primary factor."

Brian Carlton 01-29-2010 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangofox007 (Post 2393338)
Here is a quote from an Interstate Battery newsletter. It make it very clear that the warranty length is about perception, not reality.

"Ten years ago, Interstate Batteries was the first in the professional-installers battery market to offer an 18-month free-replacement warranty. The time has come once again for Interstate to beat our competition. Improving the warranty is sure to give you a competitive edge and to help you sell more batteries. And longer warranties give consumers a perception of longer battery life and quality.
Longer life/warranty is the most persuasive aspect in selling an automotive battery, far more persuasive than price. In a survey conducted by Spectrum Research, 800 battery purchasers were asked, “Why did you select the battery you bought?” The vast majority named “Warranty / Life Expectancy” as the primary factor."

The statement is with regard to perception.

The reality is unknown, however, you might conclude that a manufacturer certainly won't offer a battery with an 84 month warranty if more than 25% of them will come back in 60 months or less. It's a money losing proposition.

Anecdotal evidence suggests that "most" batteries will make it to the end of the warranty period if the vehicle is properly maintained. Naturally, if the battery is routinely discharged due to excessive cranking time, all bets are off.

Furthermore, one event of leaving the lights on overnight will permanently affect the longevity of the battery. I've foreshortened the life of a battery in the van by doing that exact scenario. Driving in daylight, in rain, with the lights on..........it's easy to do when parking it.

So, the actual durability of a battery is highly variable, but I've never returned a Duralast under the warranty yet.

tangofox007 01-29-2010 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Carlton (Post 2393348)

Anecdotal evidence suggests that "most" batteries will make it to the end of the warranty period if the vehicle is properly maintained.

I don't think so. A major study by Douglas Battery Co. found that the average battery life expectancy was 43 months. Little has changed in lead-acid battery technology to support longer warranty periods. Longer warranty periods have been driven by the marketing department, not the engineering department.

Of course, the nice thing about "anecdotal" evidence is that you can disregard any anecdotes that don't support your thesis. I suspect that you won't find any reliable data that shows that the majority of batteries outlive their warranty period.

Here is the Die Hard view of life expectancy:
http://www.sears.com/ue/home/map_cold.jpg
The average for the southern half of the country is around 3 years.

Brian Carlton 01-29-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tangofox007 (Post 2393356)
I don't think so. A major study by Douglas Battery Co. found that the average battery life expectancy was 43 months. Little has changed in lead-acid battery technology to support longer warranty periods. Longer warranty periods have been driven by the marketing department, not the engineering department.

Maybe so, but a lifetime of experience with at least 15 batteries suggests otherwise.

TnBob 01-29-2010 01:17 AM

Buying Interstate batteries from an Interstate disty is a good way to go.
Mine locally provides excellent service and a zero BS warranty policy.

IMHO, much, much better than buying from a firm that sources bout 90% of the items they sell from the Chinese.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website