Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-05-2010, 09:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 177
Rebuilt SLS Pump -- Still not pumping

My 1982 300TD had a saggy rear since I bought it. Reading this post led me to believe it's a fault pump. Before I spent ~$1000 on a new pump I thought I'd go about trying to fix my existing pump.

I used the SLS rebuild kit from the place in AZ and replaced all the gaskets I could find. One medium, thick gasket remained (any ideas where that's supposed to go?)

While the pump was off I drained the reservoir tank and refilled it with ISO 46 hydraulic fluid.

I reattached the pump and started the car. The rear didn't raise and I opened the reservoir and didn't see any fluid pumping.

Any ideas? I have a new SLS filter that I was going to put on once I verified the pump was pumping. Maybe it's clogged? I'll replace it in the morning and report back.
__________________
1982 300TD

Everything I know about cars I learned from PeachParts.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,353
I'd crack the high pressure hose banjo fitting and see if anything squirts out.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-05-2010, 10:38 PM
layback40's Avatar
Not Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria Australia - down under!!
Posts: 4,023
On a side note first, are you sure you have the correct fluid? The wrong fluid will destroy your accumulators. Hydraulic oil is no good. The proper stuff is expensive but only it works. If you have the wrong fluid, you will need to completely empty the system, flush it out a couple of times & then refill with the correct fluid.

There is a DYI about sls, I see you have looked at Andrews thread.
If you disconnect B1 you should have fluid flow with the motor running.
If not, you need to investigate why. Probably an air lock or blockage in the oil supply
Could you turn the pump by hand before you put it back on? A seized pump will damage the drive to it.
These pumps seldom give trouble. If you have assembled it just the same as you disassembled it, all will be good.

To raise the back a little, when the system is working, you can make an adjustment to the threaded rod that controls the sls valve from the anti roll bar.
My guess is that your height problem is probably failed accumulators, was the car very bouncy in the back?
The sls valve down the back would be my next suggestion, Andrew (the author of that thread) can supply you with a kit of O rings & instructions, dont bother trying to save a few pennies by buying individual O rings, his kit works & his experience & instructions are more valuable than the O rings.
If it does turn out that you have a failed pump, I would try & get one from a junk yard.
__________________
Grumpy Old Diesel Owners Club group

I no longer question authority, I annoy authority. More effect, less effort....

1967 230-6 auto parts car. rust bucket.
1980 300D now parts car 800k miles
1984 300D 500k miles
1987 250td 160k miles English import
2001 jeep turbo diesel 130k miles
1998 jeep tdi ~ followed me home. Needs a turbo.
1968 Ford F750 truck. 6-354 diesel conversion.
Other toys ~J.D.,Cat & GM ~ mainly earth moving
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-06-2010, 01:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
On a side note first, are you sure you have the correct fluid? The wrong fluid will destroy your accumulators. Hydraulic oil is no good. The proper stuff is expensive but only it works. If you have the wrong fluid, you will need to completely empty the system, flush it out a couple of times & then refill with the correct fluid.
That's what I'm trying to do. Other threads have said that ISO 46 tractor hydraulic fluid is acceptable for testing. Once I've verified everything is working I'll be switching over to FEBI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
There is a DYI about sls, I see you have looked at Andrews thread.
If you disconnect B1 you should have fluid flow with the motor running.
If not, you need to investigate why. Probably an air lock or blockage in the oil supply .
The pump is self bleeding, is it not? I think I read another thread where it took awhile for the air to bleed out on it's own. Maybe I need to wait awhile before worrying.


Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
Could you turn the pump by hand before you put it back on? A seized pump will damage the drive to it.
These pumps seldom give trouble. If you have assembled it just the same as you disassembled it, all will be good.
Yep. Made a pumping sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by layback40 View Post
To raise the back a little, when the system is working, you can make an adjustment to the threaded rod that controls the sls valve from the anti roll bar.
My guess is that your height problem is probably failed accumulators, was the car very bouncy in the back?
The sls valve down the back would be my next suggestion, Andrew (the author of that thread) can supply you with a kit of O rings & instructions, dont bother trying to save a few pennies by buying individual O rings, his kit works & his experience & instructions are more valuable than the O rings.
If it does turn out that you have a failed pump, I would try & get one from a junk yard.
Already have a repair kit in my toolbox. I'll rebuild the valve once I know the pump is working.

Thanks!
__________________
1982 300TD

Everything I know about cars I learned from PeachParts.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-06-2010, 10:20 AM
Biodiesel300TD's Avatar
|3iodiesel300T|)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 4,845
It may take a while of running to get all the air out of the system. Lots of nooks and crannies for air to get stuck. You might have to drive it some to get all the air out. I know the valve is self bleeding because of the pump, but I'm not sure if the pump is self bleeding or not. In this case you may have to open the bleeder on the SLS valve with the car running to bleed the system.

The pump is always pumping fluid through the system, the valve is what controls the height. So you should always have fluid returning to the reservoir, that is, if the rear is not changing height at the moment. Check to see if you have fluid flowing into the reservoir, the return line is in the cap.

There is still the possibility that something's up your valve or the linkage. The valve is what really tells the rear what to do. If it's not functioning properly then the rear isn't going to do what it's supposed to.
__________________
Andrew
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon
'82 300TD ~ Winnie ~ Sold
'77 300D ~ Sold
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodiesel300TD View Post
Check to see if you have fluid flowing into the reservoir, the return line is in the cap..
No motion in the reservoir. Hopefully it will bleed itself out.

I'll check the banjo nut and report back.
__________________
1982 300TD

Everything I know about cars I learned from PeachParts.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-06-2010, 10:53 PM
locry's Avatar
I love this place!!! :)
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Philippines, ...recently submerged, AGAIN
Posts: 1,011
there's air in the pump vanes... oil needs to get in there first for circulation to take place.
__________________

85 190E 2.3(SOLD)
86 230E (-->300D)
87 300D (-->300TD)
68 250S w/ a 615 and manual tranny (RIP)
87 300TD (SOLD)
95 S280 "The KRAKEN" (Turbo 2.9 602 transplant)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-07-2010, 11:57 AM
OldPokey's Avatar
0-60 in 10 minutes flat
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Middletown MD
Posts: 527
The Febi stuff is ISO-46 with die. The MSDS for both fluids is identical. In this case you're OK. On the other hand, there are a multitude of hydraulic fluids out there, some of which are glycol based (as in brake fluid). These are NOT compatible and will destroy your system ($$$$).

For all the hype surrounding it, the SLS system is incredibly simple. It's far, far easier to deal with than your average tractor hydraulic system - even the one on my 1950's Ford NAA. All you have here is a reservoir, a pump, a valve, two actuators and two accumulators which are nothing more than the "gas" part of a gas pressurized shock absorber. If you google "mercedes self leveling suspension" you'll find tons of info there.

The problem you're having with your pump is that you need to prime it. Try raising reservoir above the pump and let gravity do the work. You'll want to flush the system, so you'll want to let whatever comes out of the return line go into a separate container for recycling. Run at least half a gallon through there - as someone works the valve from underneath (the car should be up on ramps or on a proper rack for that!).

When you're done you can put the Febi stuff in there if it makes you feel better - but you'll need several liters in order to flush out the ISO-46 or the color will be wrong.
__________________
1984 300TD

Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-11-2010, 04:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPokey View Post
The problem you're having with your pump is that you need to prime it. Try raising reservoir above the pump and let gravity do the work.
Thanks, now the pump is pumping and I see fluid coming through the filter in the reservoir. The back isn't raising yet so I'm off the check the valve.
__________________
1982 300TD

Everything I know about cars I learned from PeachParts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page