Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-05-2010, 04:05 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,262
300 SDL/ R12/ AC with 60F at vent

I have redone the entire AC of the SDL 3 years back (including evaporator!), all parts new basically.
I experienced high vent temperatures lately and thought it must be low charge, bought some R12 and tested, but couldn't find a low charge. So I have no idea what might be wrong. Maybe someone can help:
testing:
aux fan on high, fan inside on high, temp dial on low, recirculation on, at 90-95F ambient i can read low/ high at following rpms
idle: 40/180 or 38/ 180
at 1500rpm: 30/200 or 28/205
vent temperatures: devastating 60 F
I have no clue why there are not 45F at the vent. charge might be slightly low but.....I don't think it makes such a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-05-2010, 06:00 PM
C Sean Watts's Avatar
NOCH EIN PILS!!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NC
Posts: 1,318
Hi Martin,

I'll have a look at my training CD...these numbers are ringing a bell for some reason and I can't recall...PM me in a couple days.
__________________
1987 300D (230,000 mi on a #14 head-watching the temp gauge and keeping the ghost in the machine)
Raleigh NC - Home of deep fried sushi!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-05-2010, 08:32 PM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 26,149
what is the temp of the low pressure line?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
what is the temp of the low pressure line?
I saw condensate on the low pressure line though.
How and where do I best measure the temp of low pressure line? I have no temperature scanner. Martin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: central Texas
Posts: 17,277
It might not make any difference..
but you should have your windows open during these tests...I mean the car windows... and if you have any way to put a squirrel cage fan so it blows into the condensor that can help a lot..
otherwise you have the possibility that the bottleneck in the AC system ( all ac systems ).. air flow across the condensor is combining with whatever other problem you have when driving around... you do not want extra variables thrown in to the diagnosing process if you can avoid them...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-06-2010, 03:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,262
My aux fan was blowing on high during the pressure testing (I jumpered it) ...but for the next test in addition I can spray water on the condenser to make sure there is no problem with the heat exchange at the condenser.
I can open the car window...however I think this doesn't make the cooling work better or do I miss something?
I mean according the pressures this system should work but it doesn't.


Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermang View Post
It might not make any difference..
but you should have your windows open during these tests...I mean the car windows... and if you have any way to put a squirrel cage fan so it blows into the condensor that can help a lot..
otherwise you have the possibility that the bottleneck in the AC system ( all ac systems ).. air flow across the condensor is combining with whatever other problem you have when driving around... you do not want extra variables thrown in to the diagnosing process if you can avoid them...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-06-2010, 03:45 PM
Home appliance genius
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: cleveland
Posts: 1,152
I have a similar problem in my w126 300se, When I recharged, I introduced some air in to the system. (on accident)

Results in high pressures, blah cooling.

Did you look at your sight glass?
__________________
Eugene

10 E63 AMG
93 300te 4matic
07 BMW X3
14 Ford F-150 Fx2
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-06-2010, 04:36 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: central Texas
Posts: 17,277
Flowing water over the condensor could work just fine....depending on accuracy of placement.

The object is not to cool the inside of the car... it is to check the situation inside the AC system.. thus you want all its factors facilitating its functioning at full working load. Not stop or step down half way through the test because the closed up car is cool and comfortable inside..
Anyway, open windows is what the MB AC FSM says to do...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,262
How did you put air into the system. I mean charging 'by hand' with cans might have the problem of getting some air in but does this make the method so bad?
What are the symptoms if there is air in the system? Are there clear indicators other than bad vent temperatures?


Quote:
Originally Posted by lorainfurniture View Post
I have a similar problem in my w126 300se, When I recharged, I introduced some air in to the system. (on accident)

Results in high pressures, blah cooling.

Did you look at your sight glass?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-06-2010, 05:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: central Texas
Posts: 17,277
How long are your lines from your charging valve body ?
Did you purge them before starting the procedure ?


The MB AC FSM warns against using the site glass as a definitive test on most things.. and I think one mentioned which can give false readings it in the event you do not have enough forced air across the condensor...

One of the main problems with air in the system.. is that it is not likely to be really really dry air..
Thus the potential for immediate problems with regards to ice crystals occurs..
This is in addition to the acid forming effect of the mixture of water and the AC refrigerant and oils in the system... which eats at the inside of the metal tubes and flakes can come off and lodge in places like the TXvalve...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-07-2010, 01:31 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Schenectady, new york
Posts: 229
a sticking monovalve will cause warm vent temperatures with a properly operating ac system. ask me how I know


'87 300sdl 286,000
'94 Sl 500 55,000
'89 300te 176,000
__________________
jcciem
'94 SL5000 60,000
'91 350SDL 545,000
'91 350SD 197,000
'00 E55 AMG 77,000
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,262
How can I rule out the monovalve? What are the symptoms if the monovalve ist not working properly? Shouldn't I have the heat on all the time?



Quote:
Originally Posted by jcciem View Post
a sticking monovalve will cause warm vent temperatures with a properly operating ac system. ask me how I know


'87 300sdl 286,000
'94 Sl 500 55,000
'89 300te 176,000
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-07-2010, 10:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,262
Charging hoses at gauge set are very typical and I tried to purge before charging.
The pressure readings are very stable- no fluctuation on pressures. Also I think the pressures are in a decent range.
I think any humidity in the system should be eaten up by the desiccant as long as it is available....as my dryer was new it should have some capacity left.


Quote:
Originally Posted by leathermang View Post
How long are your lines from your charging valve body ?
Did you purge them before starting the procedure ?


The MB AC FSM warns against using the site glass as a definitive test on most things.. and I think one mentioned which can give false readings it in the event you do not have enough forced air across the condensor...

One of the main problems with air in the system.. is that it is not likely to be really really dry air..
Thus the potential for immediate problems with regards to ice crystals occurs..
This is in addition to the acid forming effect of the mixture of water and the AC refrigerant and oils in the system... which eats at the inside of the metal tubes and flakes can come off and lodge in places like the TXvalve...
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Boston
Posts: 1,262
So here is what I found so far:

After some testing I found out that the compressor gets cut off after maybe 5-10 minutes of driving and once cut off it won't come back....unless I restart the engine.
With a clamped heater hose at least temperatures went down to 55F.

Anyone who knows about the possible reasons why the compressor stops working?

The was one comment I wanted to share. Comment was that the pressures I was reporting were too low, at least the 30psi low pressure was commented that this could lead to icing of the evaporator in an R12 system.....If true can this be a reason for the compressor to quite work?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-10-2010, 07:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,263
What year is the car? Does it have a compressor speed sensor?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page