Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 12-31-2010, 10:14 AM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 26,173
it is VERY tight in there, but it can be done. mine is off on my sedan, and on on the wagon. Big difference. and the wagon has 1/2 the miles.
__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-31-2010, 11:01 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Alabama, USA
Posts: 72
Again, thanks for the information.
It first appeared to me that the linkage was "pinned" to the ALDA, but now a closer look at the diagram and with your help, I see that it is just a plunger.
I find it is always better to ask someone that has prior knowledge, than just forging ahead into unknown territory. My car is, in my opinion, dangereously slow from a dead stop pulling out into traffic. It is fine once it reaches 2600 rpm, good torque from there to about 3900 rpm. I have around 10.5 psi of boost once underway. I will be trying this modification to see if it pumps up the off idle torque.
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 12-31-2010, 12:58 PM
babymog's Avatar
Loose Cannon - No Balls
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northeast Indiana
Posts: 10,767
I personally like an adjusted ALDA, provided it is otherwise working, even if adjusted agressively. That gives you the aneroid effect; leaning the mixture to match barometric pressure, so that it doesn't smoke at higher altitudes (smoke is money, plus higher EGTs, plus more soot into the oil and ring lands). On a car with a functioning trap-cat (most '87s) it also robs power as it will (by design) build up in and restrict the trap-cat until it causes enough restriction-heat to burn off.
__________________

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Doktor Bert's Avatar
Das Sturm Uberdoktor
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Palm Springs, CA.
Posts: 2,667
I run the ALDA all the way out CCW on my 617.950 and get very good performance; about 11-12 seconds 0-60 and still knocking off 28mpg on the freeway.

Adding shims will allow more adjustment. We added 2 shims on Dad's 617.952 and it made a big difference in acceleration...
__________________
Did you just pass my 740 at 200 kmh in a 300SD?????

1978 300SD 'Phil' - 1,315,853 Miles And Counting - 1, 317,885 as of 12/27/2012 - 1,333,000 as of 05/10/2013, 1,337,850 as of July 15, 2013, 1,339,000 as of August 13, 2013



100,000 miles since June 2005 Overhaul - Sold January 25th, 2014 After 1,344,246 Miles & 20 Years of Ownership
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 12-31-2010, 01:42 PM
Doktor Bert's Avatar
Das Sturm Uberdoktor
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Palm Springs, CA.
Posts: 2,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymog View Post
I personally like an adjusted ALDA, provided it is otherwise working, even if adjusted agressively. That gives you the aneroid effect; leaning the mixture to match barometric pressure, so that it doesn't smoke at higher altitudes (smoke is money, plus higher EGTs, plus more soot into the oil and ring lands). On a car with a functioning trap-cat (most '87s) it also robs power as it will (by design) build up in and restrict the trap-cat until it causes enough restriction-heat to burn off.
I agree 100%.

Additionally, after using gapless rings in a 617, I will never build an engine without them again.
__________________
Did you just pass my 740 at 200 kmh in a 300SD?????

1978 300SD 'Phil' - 1,315,853 Miles And Counting - 1, 317,885 as of 12/27/2012 - 1,333,000 as of 05/10/2013, 1,337,850 as of July 15, 2013, 1,339,000 as of August 13, 2013



100,000 miles since June 2005 Overhaul - Sold January 25th, 2014 After 1,344,246 Miles & 20 Years of Ownership
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 12-31-2010, 05:22 PM
scottmcphee's Avatar
1987 w124 300D
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 1,533
On a 603, you have to remove the ALDA to adjust it because of lack of room. So strictly speaking it's not an either/or question for this engine it's a BOTH if you plan to keep it. But once the ALDA is off, you'll have achieved the ultimate adjustment and there is questionable value of putting it back on. That would only serve to double your work for no gain.

On my car (no ALDA) it's very hard to make black smoke, and when it happens it is only very brief. I'm happy knowing that I'm making power instead of smoke, and I trust my right foot for making power when I need it.
__________________
Cheers!
Scott McPhee

1987 300D
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 12-31-2010, 06:16 PM
buffa98's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Amish Country, PA
Posts: 296
http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/69422-om603-alda-removal-instructions.html#post431887

This should explain the alda shimming.
__________________
86 300SDL. 250,xxx on #14 Head. One eye always on temp gauge.. Cruising towards 300K
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-31-2010, 06:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Alabama, USA
Posts: 72
ALDA & Turbocharger question

Well, I started working on the car. I had to remove the intake manifold anyway and this will now be an easier task to deal with the ALDA. But when I looked down the turbo crossover tube, as I had feared, there was engine oil, also the intake and crossover were thick with about 1/8 inch of black gunk. So I now know where some of my oil comsumption has been going. I guess the turbo will be coming off for a compressor seal.

---Does anyone know of a good source for turbo rebuild kits for the AiResearch Turbos on the 87 300D Turbo? My manual says it is either a TB03 or a T03.---

It has been putting out 10.5 psi max since I purchased it about 5 months back, 198K miles. I did notice that the wastegate linkage is frozen. I don't yet know if it is frozen closed or slightly cracked open, but I suspect it is closed. The car comes on strong around 2700 rpm. Below that it is very weak. It makes about 4 psi at 70 mph and cruising. ---Do these numbers sound normal for these cars?---

Thanks,
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-31-2010, 06:58 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Alabama, USA
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffa98 View Post
That is very informative, just what I needed. Thank you!

Thanks to everyone for their input. This forum is way more informative than the Factory Manual.

Thanks!
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-31-2010, 09:54 PM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 26,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo300Mercede View Post
Well, I started working on the car. I had to remove the intake manifold anyway and this will now be an easier task to deal with the ALDA. But when I looked down the turbo crossover tube, as I had feared, there was engine oil, also the intake and crossover were thick with about 1/8 inch of black gunk. So I now know where some of my oil comsumption has been going. I guess the turbo will be coming off for a compressor seal.

---Does anyone know of a good source for turbo rebuild kits for the AiResearch Turbos on the 87 300D Turbo? My manual says it is either a TB03 or a T03.---

It has been putting out 10.5 psi max since I purchased it about 5 months back, 198K miles. I did notice that the wastegate linkage is frozen. I don't yet know if it is frozen closed or slightly cracked open, but I suspect it is closed. The car comes on strong around 2700 rpm. Below that it is very weak. It makes about 4 psi at 70 mph and cruising. ---Do these numbers sound normal for these cars?---

Thanks,
Jeff
plug off your EGR... it's loading the oil vapor that is in the intake because of the crankcase vent with soot, the soot is forming a nasty sludge on the intake tubing. stop up the EGR, clean the tubes, and the soot will never return...
__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-01-2011, 01:57 AM
babymog's Avatar
Loose Cannon - No Balls
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Northeast Indiana
Posts: 10,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcphee View Post
On a 603, you have to remove the ALDA to adjust it because of lack of room. So strictly speaking it's not an either/or question for this engine it's a BOTH if you plan to keep it. But once the ALDA is off, you'll have achieved the ultimate adjustment and there is questionable value of putting it back on. That would only serve to double your work for no gain.

On my car (no ALDA) it's very hard to make black smoke, and when it happens it is only very brief. I'm happy knowing that I'm making power instead of smoke, and I trust my right foot for making power when I need it.
I have adjusted all of my aldas, never had to remove one nor the manifolds etc. (All 602/6003s).
__________________

Gone to the dark side

- Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Alabama, USA
Posts: 72
Well the turbo is well worn to the tune of $475 in parts. The shaft needs turning .010 under, the centerhousing needs honing .010 oversized and the aluminum center bearing support is toast. Suprisingly, the compressor wheel, housing and turbine wheel and housing are ok.

---Does anyone know of a good source for turbo parts, centersections, or the entire turbo for the TB0359 Turbo on these cars?---

Somewhere I had seen a post for a company that offered the cartridge for less than $300, but I did not know I needed one at that time....


Thanks,
Jeff
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-04-2011, 09:19 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 474
A good used turbo shouldn't cost more than $100 and they're not rare.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page