Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 PM
lutzTD's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lutz, Florida (N of Tampa)
Posts: 2,458
MTUPower pictures

here ya go. 2.47 diff on my 82 coupe
__________________

1982 300CD Turbo (Otis, "ups & downs") parts for sale
2003 TJ with Hemi (to go anywhere, quickly) sold
2001 Excursion Powerstroke (to go dependably)
1970 Mustang 428SCJ (to go fast)
1962 Corvette LS1 (to go in style)
2001 Schwinn Grape Krate 10spd (if all else fails)

Last edited by lutzTD; 11-23-2011 at 09:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,333
This one came out of a what version w126 ? It's got the smaller fins- I'll head to the yards and take a pic of a larger finned diff. I think the first gen w126 500 sel came with either version- but the larger finned version is a 2.27 LSD. I better have ALOT of power gain with the Myna pump to have that low of gearing....
Too bad the russian vin site is down to find out by vin if the diff is a LSD.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-12-2010, 12:42 PM
lutzTD's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lutz, Florida (N of Tampa)
Posts: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUpower View Post
This one came out of a what version w126 ? It's got the smaller fins- I'll head to the yards and take a pic of a larger finned diff. I think the first gen w126 500 sel came with either version- but the larger finned version is a 2.27 LSD. I better have ALOT of power gain with the Myna pump to have that low of gearing....
Too bad the russian vin site is down to find out by vin if the diff is a LSD.

pretty sure mine came off a 500SEL but I dont remember the year. I ended up looking at the mounting rather than the rear cover. You will need the diff style that uses 4 bolts to mount it to the rear subframe. The others are quite different. I cant remember but I think they have one big bolt off to the side. Just remember to flip the rear mount, otherwise you will be scratching your head how to get it all lined up. ALso make sure you get the axle spacers on the donor. Make sure you have them in your hand otherwise youll miss it or it will fall off later. These go with the diff not the axle so the ones on your car most likely will be different
__________________

1982 300CD Turbo (Otis, "ups & downs") parts for sale
2003 TJ with Hemi (to go anywhere, quickly) sold
2001 Excursion Powerstroke (to go dependably)
1970 Mustang 428SCJ (to go fast)
1962 Corvette LS1 (to go in style)
2001 Schwinn Grape Krate 10spd (if all else fails)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-12-2010, 05:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texafornia
Posts: 5,493
And how about the pictures of your car with the ronals?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-13-2010, 04:24 AM
home of 4,5,6,8 cylinders
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver BC
Posts: 504
are 123 & 126 diffs all interchangeable?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-13-2010, 08:48 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD300 View Post
are 123 & 126 diffs all interchangeable?
No- first gen w126 ('81-85) may be swapped under certain conditions. That's the gist of this thread. Lutz has done this and I want to install a LSD in my car, and am trying to make the swap as painless/easy as possible- thus the info thread here.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-13-2010, 12:23 PM
lutzTD's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lutz, Florida (N of Tampa)
Posts: 2,458
I think the best bet would be a SLC if you want the 2.27. I would think they also have LSD diffs too. I dont see them too often but there have been several in the yards lately. I think all those cars were pulled over the last month or so. I havent been to the yard for a while. I am looking for an aluminum subframe for mine before I install new bushings in the back
__________________

1982 300CD Turbo (Otis, "ups & downs") parts for sale
2003 TJ with Hemi (to go anywhere, quickly) sold
2001 Excursion Powerstroke (to go dependably)
1970 Mustang 428SCJ (to go fast)
1962 Corvette LS1 (to go in style)
2001 Schwinn Grape Krate 10spd (if all else fails)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-13-2010, 12:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzTD View Post
I think the best bet would be a SLC if you want the 2.27. I would think they also have LSD diffs too. I dont see them too often but there have been several in the yards lately. I think all those cars were pulled over the last month or so. I havent been to the yard for a while. I am looking for an aluminum subframe for mine before I install new bushings in the back
I'd rather have a bit higher than the 2.27- but want the LSD also- so I think I'm limited. I know there are some 500sel's in the yards here so I'm going to chekc them out and take pics and perhaps pull one. Anyone know how to tell a LSD from a non LSD?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texafornia
Posts: 5,493
Theres supposed to be a tag on them--Lutz--Aluminum subframe??
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-13-2010, 02:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Out in the Boonies of Hot, Dry, Dusty, Windy Nevada
Posts: 9,585
The only aluminium rear suspention I know of, is the SEC. has the alum trailing arms.

think the consenses is they do not fit. they do look masive from seeing them from under the cars in the yards.

not sure if the sub is aluminum

Charlie
__________________
there were three HP ratings on the OM616...

1) Not much power
2) Even less power
3) Not nearly enough power!! 240D w/auto

Anyone that thinks a 240D is slow drives too fast.

80 240D Naturally Exasperated, 4-Spd 388k DD 150mph spedo 3:58 Diff

We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-13-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Cape Cod Massachusetts
Posts: 1,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmalu View Post
The only aluminium rear suspention I know of, is the SEC. has the alum trailing arms.

think the consenses is they do not fit. they do look masive from seeing them from under the cars in the yards.

not sure if the sub is aluminum

Charlie
I'm pretty sure that the aluminum swingarms used on the 126 coupes also incorporate some anti-squat design geometry into that particular suspension.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-13-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texafornia
Posts: 5,493
Sec gen 126 swing arms are supposed to be interchangable with a 123 from what i read in a recent wheel bearing thread.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-13-2010, 06:37 PM
lutzTD's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Lutz, Florida (N of Tampa)
Posts: 2,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by panZZer View Post
Sec gen 126 swing arms are supposed to be interchangable with a 123 from what i read in a recent wheel bearing thread.

thats what I thought too, so far every SEC aluminum one ive seen has a big knuckle behind the rotor so it looks completely different. If theres one out there, Ill find it eventually
__________________

1982 300CD Turbo (Otis, "ups & downs") parts for sale
2003 TJ with Hemi (to go anywhere, quickly) sold
2001 Excursion Powerstroke (to go dependably)
1970 Mustang 428SCJ (to go fast)
1962 Corvette LS1 (to go in style)
2001 Schwinn Grape Krate 10spd (if all else fails)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-13-2010, 06:54 PM
DeliveryValve's Avatar
Chairman of my Benz
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Central California
Posts: 4,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUpower View Post
I'd rather have a bit higher than the 2.27- but want the LSD also- so I think I'm limited. I know there are some 500sel's in the yards here so I'm going to chekc them out and take pics and perhaps pull one. Anyone know how to tell a LSD from a non LSD?

As noted earlier, there is typically a tag to denote a LSD.
It says... "Achtung: Spezial-Ol Sperrdifferential"
Which basically means Attention: Special Oil limited slip differential




If the tag is not there, then the diff cover will need to be opened to look for the clutches.





BTW - If you get desperate in needing a LSD, those pics are from a 2nd Gen 2.47 from a 560SEL that I can let go at a not so cheap price. I am betting that you can transfer the guts into a 1st Gen 2.47 housing to make it work. PM me if interested.



.

.
Attached Thumbnails
MTUPower pictures-2_47lsd_tag.jpg   MTUPower pictures-2_47lsd.jpg  
__________________
1983 123.133 California
- GreaseCar Veg System



Last edited by DeliveryValve; 11-13-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryValve View Post
As noted earlier, there is typically a tag to denote a LSD.
It says... "Achtung: Spezial-Ol Sperrdifferential"
Which basically means Attention: Special Oil limited slip differential

If the tag is not there, then the diff cover will need to be opened to look for the clutches.

BTW - If you get desperate in needing a LSD, those pics are from a 2nd Gen 2.47 from a 560SEL that I can let go at a not so cheap price. I am betting that you can transfer the guts into a 1st Gen 2.47 housing to make it work. PM me if interested.
I hope to find such tags in the yards here shortly- thanks for the info. I see the pic shows the start of much larger fins also- are both pics from a gen II LSD? Thanks for the offer but south florida has some of the best MB yards in the world for parts.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page