Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-05-2011, 01:28 AM
psaboic's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SW Washington Coast
Posts: 717
12 V switched power

Can someone tell me a good place to tap into either under the dash or at the fuse box in the engine bay for SWITCHED 12V power? Car is a 1983 300D.

Thanks.

Glenn
__________________
2017 Santa Fe 13K (hers)
2002 VW Jetta TDI 185K (mine)
1998 Volvo S70 T5 Turbo 115K (kids)
1992 Ford F150 4WD 257K (wood getter)
1983 Mercedes 300D 315K (diesel commuter)
1965 Corvair Corsa 98K (fun car)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:45 AM
wilburtual's Avatar
240D + 240D = :)
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Los Angeles,CA
Posts: 192
I usually use a standard wire push on terminal and push it over the metal fin that holds one of the fuses in the fuse box. you will have to widen/open up the terminal a little wider with a flat head screw driver, but it will slide right on and fit snugly. if you are using a smaller gauge wire you will be able to put the fuse box cover back on and have the wire running out from under the cover.
i believe both fuse # 6 and 8 "switched" power. that will only get power when the key is turned. double check the fuse with a voltmeter to see if there is power running form the fuse before turning the key and after.
Attached Thumbnails
12 V switched power-terminal.jpg   12 V switched power-fuse-tap.jpg  
__________________
1981 240D ... 265k
1977 240D ... 265k
1977 240D ... 250k
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:52 AM
winmutt's Avatar
85 300D 4spd+tow+h4
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Atl Gawga
Posts: 9,315
A better question is, to what end? For nominal power consumption (not radio) I just pull off the cig adapter.
__________________
http://superturbodiesel.com/images/sig.04.10.jpg
1987 300D Sturmmachine
1991 300D Nearly Perfect
1994 E320 Cabriolet
1995 E320 Touring
2001 Eurovan FOR SALE
1985 300D car, sold and missed.
OBK #42
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-05-2011, 03:40 AM
Diesel911's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Beach,CA
Posts: 21,958
Look on the Fuse Chart. There is supposed to be an empty spot to hook up other stuff.
__________________
84 300D, 82 Volvo 244Gl Diesel
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-05-2011, 04:52 AM
okyoureabeast's Avatar
Rogue T Tolerant
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,293
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilburtual View Post
I usually use a standard wire push on terminal and push it over the metal fin that holds one of the fuses in the fuse box. you will have to widen/open up the terminal a little wider with a flat head screw driver, but it will slide right on and fit snugly. if you are using a smaller gauge wire you will be able to put the fuse box cover back on and have the wire running out from under the cover.
i believe both fuse # 6 and 8 "switched" power. that will only get power when the key is turned. double check the fuse with a voltmeter to see if there is power running form the fuse before turning the key and after.

Wow! I really like that idea. Very clever and innovative !
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
Going back to the original post: "Can you get the vac to blow instead?" No. Vacuums are low pressure so they by nature "suck" and nature abhors them.
1984 380SL
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Yak Yak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by winmutt View Post
A better question is, to what end? For nominal power consumption (not radio) I just pull off the cig adapter.
A valid question.

There are a few sources inside the cabin. The factory radio wires, for example, in the console. Various screws off the headlight switch if you're looking for something on that side. I've posted the wires for both of those locations recently. <>

If you can find a wiring diagram pins marked "15" a commonly switched.

Consider consumption the fuse size when tapping off a line.

There should be no trouble finding one in the fuse box. Turn the box over and you ought to have the fuse list.

As always with 25 year old electrics - trust but verify with a meter.

Last edited by Yak; 04-05-2011 at 10:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-05-2011, 10:10 PM
funola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 7,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak View Post
A valid question.

There are a few sources inside the cabin. The factory radio wires, for example, in the console. Various screws off the headlight switch if you're looking for something on that side. I've posted the wires for both of those locations recently.

If you can find a wiring diagram pins marked "15" a commonly switched.

Consider consumption the fuse size when tapping off a line.

There should be no trouble finding one in the fuse box. Turn the box over and you ought to have the fuse list.

As always with 25 year old electrics - trust but verify with a meter.
Beware! I think pin 15 off of the headlight switch is not fused!
__________________
85 300D turbo pristine w 157k when purchased 161K now
83 300 D turbo 297K runs great. SOLD!
83 240D 4 spd manual- parted out then junked
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-05-2011, 10:50 PM
Yak Yak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
Beware! I think pin 15 off of the headlight switch is not fused!
I edited the above post.

I don't think the headlight switch is fused at all, it distributes power from the battery to the fuse box, and in a few cases back the to the headlight switch again.

A different option in that corner may be the cruise control amp. It's fused and switched, and commonly out of order anyway. Red/yellow per the FSM to pin 1 on the amp. Colors may vary.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page