Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodiesel300TD View Post
That dumps oil directly into the air intake, which adds to smoking but not blow by. I've had that problem on my 240D. Put a new diaphragm in the pump and the smoking went away.
Yes, not blowby, but oil consumption.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-26-2011, 12:34 PM
Biodiesel300TD's Avatar
|3iodiesel300T|)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
Yes, not blowby, but oil consumption.
Still a good idea to fix for sure.
__________________
Andrew
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon
'82 300TD ~ Winnie ~ Sold
'77 300D ~ Sold
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-26-2011, 01:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Troy, MI
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by katja View Post
Despite a new oil cap gasket, it still makes that oily mess on the valve cover gasket and oil works its way onto the top of the air cleaner too.
Do you have the plastic cap? I put 2 gaskets in the cap- worked for a while, but did not fix it. Got a new cap (it was plastic) from the dealer- again, short term fix. Finally got a used metal cap on ebay, and it has been absolutely spanking clean since then!
I just checked- there are a couple of metal caps on ebay- $16 and $30 bucks; i got mine for $5
__________________
-------------------------------
1982 300D Turbo 3.0L 275K- sold
1992 300D Turbo 2.5L 300K
1997 Miata 115K
2004 Audi A4 Quattro 120K
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 182
I love this forum. That is great information... I have to run to a meeting presently, but I may have more to add later. I have had suspicions about that vacuum line... and it is relatively new. I am going to take another look at it in the next few days.

Thanks, fellas.
__________________
[SIGPIC]
Tom
SE Connecticut
1975 W115 300D

visit my blog:
http://mercedesdieselrebuildingdiederich.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-26-2011, 04:21 PM
curtludwig's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 263
Oooh...


Here's Tom shutting off his car at ChowdaQ 2009. I didn't bring my camera last year so didn't snap a repeat pic.

That'd be a cheap thing to fix before re-evaluating oil consumption. It'd also be worth running/parking over cardboard to determine if you've got some hard to spot leak thats causing some of the consumption.

If it were me I'd have the head redone. I think you're probably going to want that no matter what. The 115 617 engine is relatively rare since they were only 2 years, I don't know if you can use a later 617 block or not. That would be a relatively easy answer if you could but never the less a known good head would be a nice place to start no matter what.
__________________
Sadly Benz-less
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-26-2011, 04:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 3,768
Back to the ruptured vacuum pump diaphragm, I had that happen on my 240D and it manifested as a big oil leak down the right side of the engine and traced to the air cleaner housing, which was full of oil that the vacuum pump had pumped in. Is it routed differently on a W115?
__________________
Anyone who thinks a 300D is fast drives too slow.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 351,xxx miles
08 Triumph Street Triple 21,xxx miles, lowered 10mm in front, Pirelli Angel GT tires, otherwise stock.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-26-2011, 05:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 182
Nice one, Curt.
This was all part of my brilliantly diabolical plan to capture the ChowdahQ Jalopy Award from the reigning previous winner.... which was.... You guessed it: Curt!



Yes I have a spare shut off valve for the injection pump.... Just haven't gotten around to doing it. For the past.... Er..... 6 or 7 years. . It is on my list for this project though. Unfortunately, that means you may not get any more pics like this one, Curt.
I want to do the leak down test. If need be I will either redo this head, or redo the spare cylinder head I have from my dear departed 1976 rust bucket. RIP.

I just rechecked that vacuum line, in the light of our earlier conversation. It appears clean. The dark area seen in the video may have been caused by the lighting. That line broke about two years ago, and I replaced it. I took several more pics of it....so you can see it is pretty clear... And if I can figure a way to post them from this iPad (not bloody likely, btw) I will. Otherwise I will do it from my computer at work. It is probably worth noting that the old line did show evidence of oil when it broke... So I wouldn't be surprised to find some in the new one.... But it doesn't appear to be there now.
__________________
[SIGPIC]
Tom
SE Connecticut
1975 W115 300D

visit my blog:
http://mercedesdieselrebuildingdiederich.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-26-2011, 05:15 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Back to the ruptured vacuum pump diaphragm, I had that happen on my 240D and it manifested as a big oil leak down the right side of the engine and traced to the air cleaner housing, which was full of oil that the vacuum pump had pumped in. Is it routed differently on a W115?
I do have some oil showing on the intake manifold.... I think it is coming from the breather hose that goes to the valve cover.... Probably blow-by, I'm thinking.

I have the air cleaner housing that resides down low behind the passenger headlight, not up on the manifold. I should inspect that.... Haven't done that in a while.
__________________
[SIGPIC]
Tom
SE Connecticut
1975 W115 300D

visit my blog:
http://mercedesdieselrebuildingdiederich.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-27-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtludwig View Post
Oooh...


Here's Tom shutting off his car at ChowdaQ 2009. I didn't bring my camera last year so didn't snap a repeat pic.

That'd be a cheap thing to fix before re-evaluating oil consumption. It'd also be worth running/parking over cardboard to determine if you've got some hard to spot leak thats causing some of the consumption.

If it were me I'd have the head redone. I think you're probably going to want that no matter what. The 115 617 engine is relatively rare since they were only 2 years, I don't know if you can use a later 617 block or not. That would be a relatively easy answer if you could but never the less a known good head would be a nice place to start no matter what.
Mercedes W115 Manual Shut Down

Curt's pic (above) was just a tease. I KNOW you want more. So, here is the whole technically complex procedure involved in manually shutting down the OM617 Mercedes Diesel engine, complete with voice-over narrration explaining this complicated procedure in great detail.

No Mercedes diesels were injured in the making of this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq03HN6c-tQ

WARNING: I am a quasi-professional (Half-Fast Mechanic). Do NOT try this at home!

__________________
[SIGPIC]
Tom
SE Connecticut
1975 W115 300D

visit my blog:
http://mercedesdieselrebuildingdiederich.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscat1 View Post
I do have some oil showing on the intake manifold.... I think it is coming from the breather hose that goes to the valve cover.... Probably blow-by, I'm thinking.

I have the air cleaner housing that resides down low behind the passenger headlight, not up on the manifold. I should inspect that.... Haven't done that in a while.

Here is a pic of the oil on the intake manifold... it appears to be coming from the breather hose that goes to the valve cover.
Attached Thumbnails
"Thar She Blows!!". W115 blow-by video.-oil-intake-manifold-mercedes.jpg  
__________________
[SIGPIC]
Tom
SE Connecticut
1975 W115 300D

visit my blog:
http://mercedesdieselrebuildingdiederich.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-27-2011, 10:01 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomscat1 View Post
I just rechecked that vacuum line, in the light of our earlier conversation. It appears clean. The dark area seen in the video may have been caused by the lighting. That line broke about two years ago, and I replaced it. I took several more pics of it....so you can see it is pretty clear... And if I can figure a way to post them from this iPad (not bloody likely, btw) I will. Otherwise I will do it from my computer at work. It is probably worth noting that the old line did show evidence of oil when it broke... So I wouldn't be surprised to find some in the new one.... But it doesn't appear to be there now.
Here are the pics of the vacuum line... the line appears a little dark in places, but there is no evidence of oil in the line... just shadows from the lighting, as far as I can tell. There is definitely oil residue around the breather hose, however, where it attaches to the manifold.
Attached Thumbnails
"Thar She Blows!!". W115 blow-by video.-vacuum-line-ii-mercedes.jpg   "Thar She Blows!!". W115 blow-by video.-vacuum-line-i-mercedes.jpg   "Thar She Blows!!". W115 blow-by video.-vacuum-line-mercedes.jpg  
__________________
[SIGPIC]
Tom
SE Connecticut
1975 W115 300D

visit my blog:
http://mercedesdieselrebuildingdiederich.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-27-2011, 11:37 AM
Biodiesel300TD's Avatar
|3iodiesel300T|)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 4,845
For the breather hose from the valve cover to the intake, just put a hose clamp on the intake side, and you'll stop getting oil all over the intake. It will just go into the manifold instead. My 240 was doing this a while back. A hose clamp kept the oil in the engine rather than on the engine.
__________________
Andrew
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon
'82 300TD ~ Winnie ~ Sold
'77 300D ~ Sold
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-27-2011, 01:51 PM
Stretch's Avatar
Gettin' outa chokey
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Between a rock and a hard place (Back in Holland at the moment)
Posts: 13,986
I'm just wondering if you could change the results of an emissions test by letting it all flow out the top of the oil cap!
__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-27-2011, 02:16 PM
Biodiesel300TD's Avatar
|3iodiesel300T|)
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Albany, OR
Posts: 4,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army View Post
I'm just wondering if you could change the results of an emissions test by letting it all flow out the top of the oil cap!
Yes, if you have enough oil blowing through the breather. This is exactly why MB put the oil separator in the air filter housing on the later 123s.
__________________
Andrew
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon
'82 300TD ~ Winnie ~ Sold
'77 300D ~ Sold
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page