PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Diesel Discussion (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/)
-   -   Best MPG Mercedes? (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/311713-best-mpg-mercedes.html)

ashedd 01-22-2012 06:55 PM

Best MPG Mercedes?
 
I start a new job tomorrow.. I will be driving 50 miles round trip about 60/40 highway/city. In a year we may move even farther away from work. So I'm thinking of what kind of commuter car I would want.

I once had an '85 vw golf diesel... LOVED that little bug smasher. My concerns about it were it's size(I'm 6'7"), it looked like a clown car with me driving it.. AND it seemed very unsafe in any kinda crash:eek:. I did get 45 mpg no matter how I drove it, and with really worn out piston rings... it put out a fine mist of oil on the highway :rolleyes3. I would see people using their wipers behind me lol. Teach them to tailgate a 55hp car!!

You can notice from my signature that I have two MB's right now. My TE is a great, clean, perfect car.. but SUCKS gas! I get 22 mpg MAX on the highway, and about 17-18 in the city. I drive like an old lady most the time. The 300D is a work in progress, but my recent city DD test's indicate it's getting 24+ mpg. I would like to fill it up and drive it on the highway and see what it gets... but it's not at the stage where I would feel comfortable doing that. The longest oneway trip I have made is 50 miles.

If I put the ALDA back on, and maybe look at some other stuff(like what?) then it can perhaps do better in the mpg department. It's VERY peppy the way it is now and really likescruising at 75+ on the highway. It's got a pretty low rear diff in it now but I still get 2500 rpm at 65-70.

So the questions are:

1. Find a 300D 2.5 turbo? I think one can eek out 40mpg if driven properly.

2. Find a 190D turbo? 40-45mpg?

3. 190D N/A... 40 mpg?

4. Continue working on my 300D and try to see what I can get the mpg's up to?

5. Say eff it and find another VW?

I'm willing to let my 300D go for the right circumstance(ie: I would trade it for a 300d 2.5). I'm kinda sick of messing with it, it's been 4 years now.

The other factor is my cheapness... I would pay something like 2500-3000 for a decent high mpg commuter, but I prefer 2000 or less ;)

whatcha think?

MBeige 01-22-2012 07:04 PM

190D 2.5 (turbo) or 2.2 5-speed

Lightweight, good gearing, no automatic transmission slippage of torque, good aerodynamics

sixto 01-22-2012 07:38 PM

Have you put your 6'7" self in a W201? I'm surprised how snug a W202 is and you tower over me.

Have you looked into a 96-97 Passat TDI?

Sixto
87 300D

thatguy 01-22-2012 07:38 PM

A 2.2 5spd 190d is going to be a tough act to beat, a buddy of mine had a VERY nice one a while back and was able to flirt with 50mpg (his claims) on the highway in the summer with no A/C. They are cool little cars, very nimble and "sufficiently" powerful with the 2.2 and 5spd trans, although the auto 2.2's are slugs.

Skippy 01-22-2012 07:43 PM

I voted 190D turbo before I read the OP. A 124 diesel with a 5-speed should get you into the mid 30's mpg highway with everything working right and normal driving style. Manual 190D's (turbo or not) can get a bit more, but not enough to make me change cars if I already have something I'm happy with. Come spring you might want to consider using a motorcycle on nice days. My old 250 got 55 mpg and I rode it like I stole it.

ashedd 01-22-2012 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixto (Post 2869386)
Have you put your 6'7" self in a W201? I'm surprised how snug a W202 is and you tower over me.

Have you looked into a 96-97 Passat TDI?

Sixto
87 300D

I had a '85 190d parts car that I drove here from VA. It was ok... I wouldn't want to drive it long distances regularly or anything.

Passat TDI sounds expensive. And I always thought the TDI's had some sort of reliability issues... but I'm starting to realize that's not the case. maybe the auto transmissions are the issue.

ashedd 01-22-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippy (Post 2869389)
Come spring you might want to consider using a motorcycle on nice days. My old 250 got 55 mpg and I rode it like I stole it.

I'm terrified of other drivers killing me. Especially with the texting and stuff. I know a guy who lost a leg in a parking lot in 15 mph crash with some women.

If this was Europe I would get a big scooter, they are everywhere there and other drivers watch out for them.

Clemson88 01-22-2012 08:04 PM

6'-7"? Dood, you were wearing that Golf not driving it.
 
nm

martureo 01-22-2012 08:29 PM

50 miles round trip? I wouldn't be that worried about fuel economy. I've done 100+ miles round trip commute before in my 84 300D. Right now I'm doing 28 mile round trip commute with a 165 mile round trip every week home. (I work away from home during the week and return home on the weekends).

I think it'll be more down to the way you drive whatever car you end up commuting with. I get 28mpg when I try, my wife has gotten 29.5 per tank when she drives it.

ashedd 01-22-2012 08:47 PM

I'll be driving the TE till I figure something out...

I may use a full tank a week :eek: @ $55 to fill as of today.. with my Kroger fuel discount. Wish I could force it to drink E85

dauber 01-22-2012 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixto (Post 2869386)
Have you looked into a 96-97 Passat TDI?

+1

I sold my 96 Passat TDI last year for $2500 (sold it to a friend, could have got more) and it was mechanically solid with 230k. No leaks and always posted 42mpg+ driving 80 with the air on. When my wife drove it it would post 46-48mpg. I did not have room for her anymore as was given a company car and no long pay for fuel. All Passat TDI's 96-97 are manuals so no worries on the tranny. Of all the cars I have owned I miss that one the most, very reliable and great on fuel. And as a bonus for your size the seat goes waaay back, I could not even touch the peddles on the two furthest settings and I am 6'2.

ashedd 01-22-2012 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dauber (Post 2869435)
+1

I sold my 96 Passat TDI last year for $2500 (sold it to a friend, could have got more) and it was mechanically solid with 230k. No leaks and always posted 42mpg+ driving 80 with the air on. When my wife drove it it would post 46-48mpg. I did not have room for her anymore as was given a company car and no long pay for fuel. All Passat TDI's 96-97 are manuals so no worries on the tranny. Of all the cars I have owned I miss that one the most, very reliable and great on fuel. And as a bonus for your size the seat goes waaay back, I could not even touch the peddles on the two furthest settings and I am 6'2.

So should I be worried about higher mileage? Seems like I heard/read that the VW diesels need rings/rebuilt around 300K.

lifeisabeach 01-22-2012 09:39 PM

I'm 6'-2", 230lbs and I can just barely get comfy in my 190D turbo. I've had newer gas 190's before and it seems the power seats wouldn't let me get enough room for any kind of comfort.

Off topic but I drove an old '71 Datsun 240Z through my senior year of high school and college and I've never had that level of room/comfort in any other car.

vstech 01-22-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeisabeach (Post 2869470)
I'm 6'-2", 230lbs and I can just barely get comfy in my 190D turbo. I've had newer gas 190's before and it seems the power seats wouldn't let me get enough room for any kind of comfort.

Off topic but I drove an old '71 Datsun 240Z through my senior year of high school and college and I've never had that level of room/comfort in any other car.

+2!!! I SOOOO miss driving my 76 280, it's in my shop, I may get it back on the road someday...
My 72 Celica was nice too...
My 85 Jetta gets around 50MPG, but it's GUTLESS!!! and I'd LOVE to see it with 55HP... it came with 37 according to the manual... but that little 1.6IDI non turbo SIPS the fuel... I'm putting her back into service since fuel has topped 4.00/gallon around here.

sixto 01-22-2012 09:52 PM

datsun 240z with mercedes om606 turbodiesel , holset hx40super , mb 722.3 automatic.... - YouTube

Sixto
87 300D


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website