Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM
QS23's Avatar
Noob
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 101
W126 300SD Won't Shut Off...

Hey All,

So my dad calls, leaves a message asking if I could bring my tools this Easter weekend.

It seems one of his Benzes (Benzi?) will not shut off by the key. He's got an 81 and an 83 300SD. My guess is since it's nice out, it's the 81, but I left a message for him to call me back with which one of the cars it is.

But anyway, I've got my mity-vac and a set a golf tees and I'm going into this blind. Any suggestions on what to do?

__________________
1983 Benz 240D - 263,060 (Current)
1983 Cadillac DeVille - 130,000 (Scrapped - Stupid HT4100)
1992 Dodge B350 - 150,000 (Sold)
1984 Mazda 626 - 299,997 (Scrapped)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-06-2012, 02:58 PM
otto huber's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda California
Posts: 954
With the engine running take the mityvac and run it to the shut off solenoid at the back of the injection pump. If a few pumps on the mityvac shuts the car off then move on down the line and check for leaks. You can also test the ignition shut off valve(this valve is located on the ignition key tumbler). If that valve isn't holding vacuum then you'll need to replace it.
__________________
'81 300SD
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-06-2012, 03:06 PM
QS23's Avatar
Noob
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto huber View Post
With the engine running take the mityvac and run it to the shut off solenoid at the back of the injection pump. If a few pumps on the mityvac shuts the car off then move on down the line and check for leaks. You can also test the ignition shut off valve(this valve is located on the ignition key tumbler). If that valve isn't holding vacuum then you'll need to replace it.
Is the setup going to be similar to my 240D?
__________________
1983 Benz 240D - 263,060 (Current)
1983 Cadillac DeVille - 130,000 (Scrapped - Stupid HT4100)
1992 Dodge B350 - 150,000 (Sold)
1984 Mazda 626 - 299,997 (Scrapped)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-06-2012, 03:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West of Ft. Worth. TX
Posts: 4,186
Usually the quickest route is to check where the last service (i.e. oil change) was done and look for a disconnected vacuum line.
__________________
Sam

84 300SD 350K+ miles ( Blue Belle )
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-06-2012, 09:05 PM
otto huber's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda California
Posts: 954
Quote:
Originally Posted by QS23 View Post
Is the setup going to be similar to my 240D?
It will be similar in that the shot off solenoid is actuated by the same valve on the ignition tumbler that is used on a 300SD. The big difference is that your 240D's locks are running off of the same vacuum system as the shut down mechanisms, where as the 300SD locks have their own pump in the trunk.
I had a vacuum leak in one of the door locks of my 240D which was giving me a slow shut down time. I put a golf tee in the line going from the engine compartment to the door locks, and the car shut down quickly.
__________________
'81 300SD
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 PM
QS23's Avatar
Noob
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by otto huber View Post
It will be similar in that the shot off solenoid is actuated by the same valve on the ignition tumbler that is used on a 300SD. The big difference is that your 240D's locks are running off of the same vacuum system as the shut down mechanisms, where as the 300SD locks have their own pump in the trunk.
I had a vacuum leak in one of the door locks of my 240D which was giving me a slow shut down time. I put a golf tee in the line going from the engine compartment to the door locks, and the car shut down quickly.
Ok, so what I"m reading is that I don't have to worry about finding out which door isn't working, since they are on a different system.
__________________
1983 Benz 240D - 263,060 (Current)
1983 Cadillac DeVille - 130,000 (Scrapped - Stupid HT4100)
1992 Dodge B350 - 150,000 (Sold)
1984 Mazda 626 - 299,997 (Scrapped)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2012, 09:21 PM
otto huber's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Alameda California
Posts: 954
Yes, that is correct. If both your solenoid and shot off valve check out as okay, then there might be a pod in the climate control system that is failing. You can put the mityvac on the red/green line and see if it's holding vacuum.

__________________
'81 300SD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page