Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-14-2012, 05:51 PM
Dave Donaldson's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 145
HELP SOS GLow plug light comes on when off !!!!

Just happened.. turned the car off, pulled the keys out got out then the buzzer and glow plug light came on , also the battery light too.
cycled the eng on off and it happend one more time .. there was a click sound from under the hood right hand eng. bay,
my fear is that it might catch fire,,, or at least burn out something in the wiring,, has anyone had the same ting happen ?? and if so, how to fix.
I have a spare glow plug relay,,
sry,, I.m upset,, car is 300 SDL 1987
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM
Dave Donaldson's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 145
follow up

ps changed out all glow plugs and relay 4 months ago,,
just tested voltage at battery 12.7,,
is it possible that the key / ignition switch is intermittent, I noted that the instrument cluster lights came on too,, is there a starter relay that can go funky,, ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-14-2012, 06:21 PM
shadetree77's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 430
maybe the electrical part of the ignition switch is messed up. with the key out see if the windshield wiper, horn, or anything else works that usually does not with the key out. if so, i would suspect the back elec. part of the ign. switch
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-14-2012, 06:32 PM
Dave Donaldson's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree77 View Post
maybe the electrical part of the ignition switch is messed up. with the key out see if the windshield wiper, horn, or anything else works that usually does not with the key out. if so, i would suspect the back elec. part of the ign. switch
Ok I will check that,,,My effort to describe the condition, is not very good,, I' m a bit worried . so far it's like I turned the key all the way to the right just short of cranking the eng. over,,, so perhaps you are right,, the first place to look and verify, if it shows as the key position condition,,, should I spray it with wd 40 ? or pull it out if this seems to be the problem.. ty
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-14-2012, 06:37 PM
shadetree77's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 430
it's probably not the tumbler but the actual electrical part behind it. i think the key has to be in pos I in order to remove the back part of the ignition assembly
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 PM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 26,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Donaldson View Post
Ok I will check that,,,My effort to describe the condition, is not very good,, I' m a bit worried . so far it's like I turned the key all the way to the right just short of cranking the eng. over,,, so perhaps you are right,, the first place to look and verify, if it shows as the key position condition,,, should I spray it with wd 40 ? or pull it out if this seems to be the problem.. ty
be sure NOT to spray wd-40 in there! if you look at the pictures for the ignition assembly under the buy parts tab, you will see the larger round black part at the opposite end from the keyhole. that's most likely what's wrong. when you turn to the start position, and let go of the key, does it spring back?
__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Dave Donaldson's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by vstech View Post
be sure NOT to spray wd-40 in there! if you look at the pictures for the ignition assembly under the buy parts tab, you will see the larger round black part at the opposite end from the keyhole. that's most likely what's wrong. when you turn to the start position, and let go of the key, does it spring back?
yes it springs back,,, but slowly,, compared to NA cars,,,,
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-14-2012, 09:23 PM
vstech's Avatar
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mount Holly, NC
Posts: 26,110
I'd say if your key is slow, you have a broken ignition SWITCH, not the tumbler/steering lock assembly...
if the key did not spring back at all, you could have a broken tab in the tumbler/steering lock assembly, but since yours springs back, likely the switch itself is self destructing. click the buy parts tab, or go to a dealer, and get yourself a new one. it's fairly easy to replace...
__________________
John HAUL AWAY, OR CRUSHED CARS!!! HELP ME keep the cars out of the crusher! A/C Thread
"as I ride with my a/c on... I have fond memories of sweaty oily saturdays and spewing R12 into the air. THANKS for all you do!

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-14-2012, 09:40 PM
shadetree77's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 430
and the switches are reasonably priced too if i remember correctly, ~50 bones
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 PM
Dave Donaldson's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetree77 View Post
and the switches are reasonably priced too if i remember correctly, ~50 bones
hope that's the issue,, sounds logical thank you for the advice and direction. After work tomorrow, I'll get pricing a pull the part Cheers,,
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page