Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Barrington, RI
Posts: 5,332
Is my 602 vacuum pump likely of the newer design?

Much to my delight, I just discovered that the vacuum pump on my 92 300D was replaced under warranty in 1996 at 45,000 miles. And it does have the bolts visible on the face plate. I can't see well enough to make out the date stamp.

Does anyone know if a pump that MB replaced under warranty in 1996 is likely of the newer design that averts catastrophic failure? Please say yes.
__________________
06 E320 CDI "Benson", Platinum Blue, 172k mi, DD
91 300D "Otis", Smoke Silver, 126k mi, other DD
98 E300 "Murray", Silver, 124k mi, Stage 2 Rocketchip chip tuned, son's DD

Twelve other MB's owned and sold
2002 Honda Odyssey 234k mi (want to name it "Homer," wife won't let me)
1961 Very Tolerant Wife
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 PM
TheDon's Avatar
Open Discussion Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Windermere,FL
Posts: 13,206
Most likely. Only way to know is to remove it
__________________

|1983 300D| OM617 239k Miles|Red|"Passion"|
|1982 300D Euro|OM617 NA| Thistle Green|"Granny Smith|
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-04-2012, 08:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mebane NC
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
Much to my delight, I just discovered that the vacuum pump on my 92 300D was replaced under warranty in 1996 at 45,000 miles. And it does have the bolts visible on the face plate. I can't see well enough to make out the date stamp.

Does anyone know if a pump that MB replaced under warranty in 1996 is likely of the newer design that averts catastrophic failure? Please say yes.

You're as bad as I am, now you're fussing over stuff that isn't broken yet. that's usually what I do until something really breaks then that keeps me busy for awhile. Hilarious.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Barrington, RI
Posts: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmack1 View Post
You're as bad as I am, now you're fussing over stuff that isn't broken yet. that's usually what I do until something really breaks then that keeps me busy for awhile. Hilarious.
You're exactly right....worry about one thing or another: something that IS broken or something that ISN'T! Thankfully, with my great cars, it's almost always the latter.

But you must fess up: you've contributed to my vacuum pump paranoia!
__________________
06 E320 CDI "Benson", Platinum Blue, 172k mi, DD
91 300D "Otis", Smoke Silver, 126k mi, other DD
98 E300 "Murray", Silver, 124k mi, Stage 2 Rocketchip chip tuned, son's DD

Twelve other MB's owned and sold
2002 Honda Odyssey 234k mi (want to name it "Homer," wife won't let me)
1961 Very Tolerant Wife
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-04-2012, 09:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Mebane NC
Posts: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
You're exactly right....worry about one thing or another: something that IS broken or something that ISN'T! Thankfully, with my great cars, it's almost always the latter.

But you must fess up: you've contributed to my vacuum pump paranoia!
Yeah, just a small push and you are off to the races. I guess if you are going to look into anything on these cars preventatively the vac pump is probably time well spent. It seems to be the one area you can destroy these so called bullet proof motors or at least spend an entire Saturday with a magnet searching in the side panel of the oil pan for 12 little ball bearing friends. Oh dear, now I'm having flashbacks
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Barrington, RI
Posts: 5,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmack1 View Post
Yeah, just a small push and you are off to the races. I guess if you are going to look into anything on these cars preventatively the vac pump is probably time well spent. It seems to be the one area you can destroy these so called bullet proof motors or at least spend an entire Saturday with a magnet searching in the side panel of the oil pan for 12 little ball bearing friends. Oh dear, now I'm having flashbacks
That and the timing chain....but I'm not doing that either.
__________________
06 E320 CDI "Benson", Platinum Blue, 172k mi, DD
91 300D "Otis", Smoke Silver, 126k mi, other DD
98 E300 "Murray", Silver, 124k mi, Stage 2 Rocketchip chip tuned, son's DD

Twelve other MB's owned and sold
2002 Honda Odyssey 234k mi (want to name it "Homer," wife won't let me)
1961 Very Tolerant Wife
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-05-2012, 01:55 AM
compress ignite's Avatar
Drone aspiring to Serfdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 32(degrees) North by 81(degrees) West
Posts: 5,554
ACD-ism over V.P. as an Avocation.

Shertex,

The True "Afflicted" will R+R AND RePlace the Vacuum Pump @ 100K Miles.
(As a Prophylactic Enterprise.)

Your '92's "RePLacement" V.P. has 193 K Miles on it !!!!

The O.E. V.P.'s design and execution is an Invitation to FAILURE!!!

1.'Junk "Cast" Crap metal Housing and Fitments.
2.'Junk Semi-metallic "Ramps" device for powering the V.P.
3.'Even more "Junkiness" in the Sub-Standard Bushing holding the "Timer".
4.'Etc.,Etc.,Etc.

At almost 200K miles on a V.P. You're not Obsessing to think about RePlacement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
'84 300SD sold
124.128
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Barrington, RI
Posts: 5,332
You're right! Now I'm really scared!! I think I'll replace the VP with every oil change....no, wait, that's overkill....with every ATF change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by compress ignite View Post
Shertex,

The True "Afflicted" will R+R AND RePlace the Vacuum Pump @ 100K Miles.
(As a Prophylactic Enterprise.)

Your '92's "RePLacement" V.P. has 193 K Miles on it !!!!

The O.E. V.P.'s design and execution is an Invitation to FAILURE!!!

1.'Junk "Cast" Crap metal Housing and Fitments.
2.'Junk Semi-metallic "Ramps" device for powering the V.P.
3.'Even more "Junkiness" in the Sub-Standard Bushing holding the "Timer".
4.'Etc.,Etc.,Etc.

At almost 200K miles on a V.P. You're not Obsessing to think about RePlacement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
06 E320 CDI "Benson", Platinum Blue, 172k mi, DD
91 300D "Otis", Smoke Silver, 126k mi, other DD
98 E300 "Murray", Silver, 124k mi, Stage 2 Rocketchip chip tuned, son's DD

Twelve other MB's owned and sold
2002 Honda Odyssey 234k mi (want to name it "Homer," wife won't let me)
1961 Very Tolerant Wife
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-11-2012, 02:58 AM
compress ignite's Avatar
Drone aspiring to Serfdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 32(degrees) North by 81(degrees) West
Posts: 5,554
Inspection

AND R+R, IF necessary, is NOT over-reaction.
__________________
'84 300SD sold
124.128
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page