Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums
 
  Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    


Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-04-2013, 07:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 20
Also, I'd like to ask my previous questions again because this is one of my biggest concerns:

Quote:
3) My wiring harness is sort of falling apart, but I don't have the extra $700 to spend on a new one. Mainly, the black plastic glow plug connectors are broken off - does anyone know where to buy those?
The part should only cost $1.00/piece but the dealer doesn't seem to be selling them...

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-07-2013, 02:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 20
So I have a couple more questions:

1) When looking down into the cylinder head with a flashlight through the air intake holes, it is filled with black grease. It's like a thick layer of black grease all-inside the engine. Is there a way to get rid of it without taking the engine engine apart? What chemicals do you guys use? Please advise because I feel like all the carbon build up along with other junk is not a very good thing for my engine.

2) I would like to replace all the fuel lines that I have under the hood + possibly more. Which fuel lines should I get when shopping for new ones? Does it have to be clear mercedes specific ones or something else (less expensive) would work as well? Can anymore maybe point me to a specific link where I can order a kit of lines online?

Thanks much guys! Can't wait to get my puppy back on the road! Those darn glow plugs... I really hope that I don't kill my cylinder head while trying to extract them out.

P.S: No one has ever answered my question in regards to my previous post - where can I find new glow plug connectors? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: TX
Posts: 2,114
read the part no. off the glow plug round connector and send an email or PM to roy (whunter).

for the black grease, its blowby mixed with soot from the EGR, to clean the intake ports - you would need to rotate the engine so the valves close and then use a rag dipped in biodiesel to mop that out, its still a dicey game but can be achieved.

I personally didnt do much aggressive cleanup in fear of dislodging some hard stuff.
__________________
1995 E300D - The original humming machine
2000 E320 - The evolution
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalakian View Post
So I have a couple more questions:

1) When looking down into the cylinder head with a flashlight through the air intake holes, it is filled with black grease. It's like a thick layer of black grease all-inside the engine. Is there a way to get rid of it without taking the engine engine apart? What chemicals do you guys use? Please advise because I feel like all the carbon build up along with other junk is not a very good thing for my engine.

2) I would like to replace all the fuel lines that I have under the hood + possibly more. Which fuel lines should I get when shopping for new ones? Does it have to be clear mercedes specific ones or something else (less expensive) would work as well? Can anymore maybe point me to a specific link where I can order a kit of lines online?

Thanks much guys! Can't wait to get my puppy back on the road! Those darn glow plugs... I really hope that I don't kill my cylinder head while trying to extract them out.

P.S: No one has ever answered my question in regards to my previous post - where can I find new glow plug connectors? Thanks!
May be some decent ones at an auto salvage yard. If it occurs you cannot locate new. Also if there is a way to identify the replacement wiring harness this may be available there as well.

So many failed and where replaced there is a good chance. The black stuff in the injector holes is probably engine oil that has leaked past the valve pan gasket at some time. Clean it up and see if it continues as that gasket may have been replaced already. Fuel is not black but engine oil certainly is.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-08-2013, 02:02 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 20
Emailed Roy, I hope that he can find it. Off I go to cleaning the intake manifold and blocking the EGR valve.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-08-2013, 04:07 PM
whunter's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 16,962
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalakian View Post
Hi everyone! I'm brand new to this forum and would like to share my story/ask a few questions if I may.

Recently I've purchased a 1995 Mercedes-Benz E300D with 207,XXX miles on it. Got it for $3,500 and so far I'm in love. However, the car does have some mechanical and cosmetic issues. I've made a "To Do List", though it's not 100% complete:

1) Change oil + filter (7 quarts of Mobile 1 Diesel Truck Full Synthetic 5W-40)
2) Adjust Parking Break
3) Replace Rear Differential Fluid
[s]4) Replace Tires[/s]
[s]5) Dry Interior[/s]
6) Shampoo Interior + Detail + Polish/Wax
7) Replace Glow Plugs
8) Replace o-ring seals for fuel lines
9) Clean/Replace Fuel Injectors
10) Fix Interior Lights
11) Remove/fix the under pan
12) Secure the exhaust
13) Clean out the Sunroof drains + lube tracks
14) Fix all 4 door panels (rattling noise)
15) Fix driver's window (doesn't roll up or down)

These are the tasks that I've come up with so far, but I know that there are plenty more where these came from.

My #1 concern are numbers 7, 8, 9, 11 + 12.
The under pan's tab is broken off so it starts making crazy loud noises if I drive faster than 70 mph.
My exhaust rattles like crazy every time I start the car + whenever I move from a stop light.

I'd like to know if anyone has any other suggestions as far as improving things goes? Obviously, the majority of my problems is just a matter of poking around with a wrench, but I'm trying to find a place that sells #8 for less. The dealer wants almost $100 for a set of seals. I found a kit online for about $35 but don't know if it's any good.

Other than that, what do you guys think over all? Was it a decent price for this car? I will upload pictures later!

I will be keeping this thread alive as I fix things on the car and may do a couple DIY's for everyone with pictures.

Thanks!
Item #8.
1995 E300 D Plastic injection pump lines, OM606.910


.
__________________
ASE Master Mechanic
asemastermechanic@juno.com

Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH), Dynamometer, R&D, Heat exchanger durability development/test, HV-A/C Climate Control Prototype Development, Prototype Vehicle Development, Technical Quality Auditor, Automotive Technical Writer, Prototype Build, Prototype Durability, Prototype vehicle instrumentation.

1973 300D
1973 309D
1978 280SE
1980 240D
1983 300D
1984 190D
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-08-2013, 06:51 PM
whunter's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 16,962
Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulfiqar View Post
read the part no. off the glow plug round connector and send an email or PM to roy (whunter).

for the black grease, its blowby mixed with soot from the EGR, to clean the intake ports - you would need to rotate the engine so the valves close and then use a rag dipped in biodiesel to mop that out, its still a dicey game but can be achieved.

I personally didnt do much aggressive cleanup in fear of dislodging some hard stuff.
The wire harness hard shells where available at one time, but where discontinued as a separate item years ago.
This is why they show as invalid in EPC.

Sorry, but I don't have any good used wire harness or hard shells.
Cable harness, pre-glow system
MB# 1244404032

For members wondering what kind of issues he may be facing due to this bad harness.
95 E300D Wiring Harness - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Here is the part number list for the breather parts that commonly fail on the 1995 E300 D.
1995 E300 Diesel Crankcase Breather Pipe kit


.
__________________
ASE Master Mechanic
asemastermechanic@juno.com

Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH), Dynamometer, R&D, Heat exchanger durability development/test, HV-A/C Climate Control Prototype Development, Prototype Vehicle Development, Technical Quality Auditor, Automotive Technical Writer, Prototype Build, Prototype Durability, Prototype vehicle instrumentation.

1973 300D
1973 309D
1978 280SE
1980 240D
1983 300D
1984 190D
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 20
So while trying to tap the broken glow plugs out, the tap ended up braking inside. Next move? Taking the head off. Does anyone have any good tips or maybe a pictorial DIY? I couldn't find one on here...

Much appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 PM
whunter's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 16,962
FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalakian View Post
So while trying to tap the broken glow plugs out, the tap ended up braking inside. Next move? Taking the head off. Does anyone have any good tips or maybe a pictorial DIY? I couldn't find one on here...

Much appreciated! Thanks!
Check your G-mail.

.
__________________
ASE Master Mechanic
asemastermechanic@juno.com

Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH), Dynamometer, R&D, Heat exchanger durability development/test, HV-A/C Climate Control Prototype Development, Prototype Vehicle Development, Technical Quality Auditor, Automotive Technical Writer, Prototype Build, Prototype Durability, Prototype vehicle instrumentation.

1973 300D
1973 309D
1978 280SE
1980 240D
1983 300D
1984 190D
Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page