Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-22-2013, 11:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 1,720
Postal Service Theft

Rollguy only takes cash, and just as I suspected, they stole it (got the letter back today). Whole months pay to some low life! Not Rollguy's fault, just wanted to put a warning out there for other folks not to send cash via Postal Service. I trusted others, but as usual, got bitten.

So, would Fedex be better?

Sometimes I wish I wasn't mentally disabled...

__________________
Current fleet:

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-22-2013, 11:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,740
Bummer, usually the post office is the safest way to send cash....I've sent thousands of dollars through in gold...and jewelry...

You can always add insurance onto the letter, the people at the post office would always got shocked when I said insure this vanilla envelope for 3500$

Don't worry, your not the only mentally ill person here
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 AM
JB3 JB3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 7,026
Personal check or paypal.

Took me forever to go to paypal, but it sure is convenient. However, he won't take a personal check? Seems unusual, the standard method is let it clear into your account before shipping goods, pretty low risk. No one steals filled out checks, or if he absolutely refuses to take a check, go get a money order from a bank or post office
__________________
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:14 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 1,720
Thank you all for the replies! Considering how it has gone in the past, I had given up. Maybe I will get pictures/question(s) together and make a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljjay View Post
Bummer, usually the post office is the safest way to send cash....I've sent thousands of dollars through in gold...and jewelry...

You can always add insurance onto the letter, the people at the post office would always got shocked when I said insure this vanilla envelope for 3500$

Don't worry, your not the only mentally ill person here
Well, glad to know I was apparently the only one to be taken advantage off... Maybe I need to be more positive and say at least it wasn't more!

Really?! I wonder why that wasn't suggested? Maybe I need to talk to them, as know packages are automatically insured for up to $100. Been meaning to go to the district post office, as not getting my mail, but getting my neighbor's mail. Spoke to the mail man and he said he be more careful...

Well, I have three diagnoses, can you beat that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
Personal check or paypal.

Took me forever to go to paypal, but it sure is convenient. However, he won't take a personal check? Seems unusual, the standard method is let it clear into your account before shipping goods, pretty low risk. No one steals filled out checks, or if he absolutely refuses to take a check, go get a money order from a bank or post office
Rollguy said Federal Notes or gold, that is it. I had a mobile mechanic who was like that because the government pulled all his money from his bank account for some reason. Rollguy seems nice, but was a challange to work with, but have to accept I can be difficult too. Almost thinking since the A/C has fixed itself, just wait until I have other things done and get the commercial kit. Costs more, but I don't have to risk cash again?
__________________
Current fleet:

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Diesel911's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Beach,CA
Posts: 35,982
I thought it was illegal to send Cash in the Mail???
__________________
84 300D, 82 Volvo 244Gl Diesel
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriel View Post
Well, I have three diagnoses, can you beat that?
Well yes, remember that saying, There is always someone out there worse then you?

Well here he is
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 AM
JB3 JB3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: RI
Posts: 7,026
He seriously won't take a postal money order or bank money order? The exact purpose of those is to provide something that is basically cash, but won't be stolen in the mail and has a recipients name written on it. Id be hard pressed to find a reason why something like that I unacceptable as payment, but to each his own I guess.

If you send cash again, throw in in a small box with some random worthless and light part. Tape the money to the inside of the box wrapped in a heavily inked newsprint. Hide it in other words.
Or send someone local to rollguy a personal check or money order and have them pay him in person instead.
__________________
This post brought to you by Carl's Jr.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljjay View Post
Well yes, remember that saying, There is always someone out there worse then you?

Well here he is
Well, good point! I will reciprocate with Root Beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
He seriously won't take a postal money order or bank money order? The exact purpose of those is to provide something that is basically cash, but won't be stolen in the mail and has a recipients name written on it. Id be hard pressed to find a reason why something like that I unacceptable as payment, but to each his own I guess.

If you send cash again, throw in in a small box with some random worthless and light part. Tape the money to the inside of the box wrapped in a heavily inked newsprint. Hide it in other words.
Or send someone local to rollguy a personal check or money order and have them pay him in person instead.
That is correct! Made me VERY uncomfortable, but really wanted the A/C to work (service dog's health was going down hill) and trusted RollGuy. For all I know, he might work something out with me. I still would trust him, but maybe on lesser matters.

Originally I was going to send my hose, so there was going to be a package. However, he mentioned in another thread he could send just the hose fitting and save postage. I wanted to be nice, so said just send fitting and will have it fitted. Once again, doing something nice and get hurt. I try to be positive and remember it isn't about me.
__________________
Current fleet:

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:33 AM
BenzDieselTuner's Avatar
Großmeister, OBK #7
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southwestern Germany / Southwest Florida
Posts: 301
who is this Rollguy everyone is going on about, and am i missing something, or are we seriously discussing who is and isnt "crazy", because I am probably the worst of anyone out there.....

seriously.....i have a few disabilities, that are overcompensated for, by my talents.....quite unique am i.....
__________________
-Justin

I believe in extreme automotive perfection whenever possible.......there is no such thing as "It doesn't matter" !!!

1985 300 CDT - 287k miles

1980 240 D - 340k miles

With extras !!

http://facebook.com/BenzDieselTuner

http://facebook.com/SWFLAlternativeFuelsClub

http://facebook.com/SWFLBenzClub

http://SWFLBenzClub.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:36 AM
Mölyapina's Avatar
User title not in use
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Chelmsford, Massachusetts
Posts: 4,373
ROLLGUY is a member on here who sells R134z conversion kits for our old Mercedes. He is the dude with a million-and-a-half cars in his signature that all run on Bio.
__________________
"Senior Luna, your sense of humor is still loco... but we love it, anyway." -rickymay ____ "Your sense of humor is still loco... " -MBeige ____ "Señor Luna, your sense of humor is quite järjetön" -Delibes

1982 300SD -- 211k, Texas car, tranny issues ____ 1979 240D 4-speed 234k -- turbo and tuned IP, third world taxi hot rod

2 Samuel 12:13: "David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die."
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:40 AM
BenzDieselTuner's Avatar
Großmeister, OBK #7
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Southwestern Germany / Southwest Florida
Posts: 301
i see......cash only huh ? i'm suspicious already, and i still dont even know what exactly it is that he is trying to sell me.....


i guess i am the opposite extreme, Mr Paranoia himself.....
__________________
-Justin

I believe in extreme automotive perfection whenever possible.......there is no such thing as "It doesn't matter" !!!

1985 300 CDT - 287k miles

1980 240 D - 340k miles

With extras !!

http://facebook.com/BenzDieselTuner

http://facebook.com/SWFLAlternativeFuelsClub

http://facebook.com/SWFLBenzClub

http://SWFLBenzClub.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzDieselTuner View Post
who is this Rollguy everyone is going on about, and am i missing something, or are we seriously discussing who is and isnt "crazy", because I am probably the worst of anyone out there.....

seriously.....i have a few disabilities, that are overcompensated for, by my talents.....quite unique am i.....
Rollguy is someone who took the initiative and made a kit so as a modern R134a Sanden compressor can be fitted to the W123 chassis. If you do a search, you will be amazed. He extended the $400 offer despite me not being the most proactive due to University. I feel bad loosing the $400 also because he most likely needs it and was expecting it.

Nope, I just mentioned because of my Autism I miss the obvious a lot of times. I was just diagnosed a few years ago, so just realized how many social rules there are! I keep wanting just to say to society shove it and either deal with my uniqueness or leave me alone. Alas though, not the best approach. Especially since I too have a lot to offer, especially in my field. I actually had a gal almost out of the blue say that my designs were different in that they weren't just following the rules, marching along. Even went to say I was going to go far. Think she was getting at the fact I have been told me and my designs are very intellectual. Maybe that is part of the reason folks can't reply to my threads/posts?
__________________
Current fleet:

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:45 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 314
It is not illegal to send cash via US Mail, but it is (obviously) risky business. You can insure any package, but you have to be able to prove loss. This works for packages of merchandise that arrive damaged. It doesn't work for letters that never arrive.

The safe way to mail cash is via registered mail. Declare the contents to be cash, and insure for the proper value. USPS will insure for up to $25K. Request a return receipt, and you will have proof that the money arrived. This is the only sure way to do this, and it adds significant cost to the transaction.
__________________
'79 240D
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Mesa, Arizona
Posts: 1,720
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Coast View Post
It is not illegal to send cash via US Mail, but it is (obviously) risky business. You can insure any package, but you have to be able to prove loss. This works for packages of merchandise that arrive damaged. It doesn't work for letters that never arrive.

The safe way to mail cash is via registered mail. Declare the contents to be cash, and insure for the proper value. USPS will insure for up to $25K. Request a return receipt, and you will have proof that the money arrived. This is the only sure way to do this, and it adds significant cost to the transaction.
Wow! Thank you for this detailed reply! Very useful for anything, as apparently the insurance that I have gotten is useless, as no proof of arrival.
__________________
Current fleet:

1985 Mercedes-Benz 280TE - Waiting for heart surgery.

1985 Mercedes-Benz 300TDT - Rear ended 23 September 2016 and now looking for a new home.

1979 Mercedes-Benz 300TD - Parted out.

1964 Volkswgen Beetle - Vater's since September 1968 and undergoing a restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Sunroof Squareback with F.I. - in need of full restoration.

1971 Volkswagen Squareback automatic with F.I. - Vacationing with her caretaker until he is in better health.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriel View Post
Well, good point! I will reciprocate with Root Beer.
Yes let's say root beer, knowing my luck, there would be a undercover officer on here...and technical it would violate my probation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenzDieselTuner View Post
who is this Rollguy everyone is going on about, and am i missing something, or are we seriously discussing who is and isnt "crazy", because I am probably the worst of anyone out there.....

seriously.....i have a few disabilities, that are overcompensated for, by my talents.....quite unique am i.....
Well I like discussing who isn't and is crazy, makes me feel better that I am not the only psycho....lurking on the forum I disagree, I am pretty hated....

__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page