Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-06-2013, 12:55 PM
scottmcphee's Avatar
1987 w124 300D
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 1,539
328d or the e250?

Oh, God. Now I have to choose. I was just going to get the e250 but friend points out the new BMW. This is tough.

__________________
Cheers!
Scott McPhee

1987 300D
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-06-2013, 01:03 PM
jake12tech's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,771
The BMW just doesn't ride like the E250 in my opinion. Been in the BMW 328D. It doesn't compare.
__________________
1999 E300 220k
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 3,790
I'd be more likely to go with the 320i. It's six grand cheaper than the 328d and almost 19 cheaper than the E250. It also comes with a manual transmission, while the other two don't. Fuel economy isn't as good, but six thousand dollars buys a lot of gas. It's also a hundred and some pounds lighter than the 328 and nearly a thousand pounds lighter than the E250.
__________________
Whoever said there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes never had a cheap Jaguar.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 367,xxx miles
08 Triumph Street Triple 30,xxx miles, lowered 10mm in front, Pirelli Angel GT tires, EBC HH brake pads, otherwise stock.
88 Jaguar XJS V12 93,xxx miles. I should be in the garage now.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-06-2013, 06:56 PM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 15,347
A thousand pounds lighter, exactly. I'd rather have the E250. BMW = BuyMajorWarranty
__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'15 GLK250 Bluetec 92k - mine - (OC-97,400)
'17 Metris(VITO!) - 18k - wifes (OC-25k)
'01 E320 Wagon - 161k - mine (OC-165,000)
'07 E350 Wagon - 136k - dad's (OC-139,500)
'01 SL500 - 58k - dad's (OC-59,000)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 83k - Brothers (OC-88,000)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-06-2013, 07:15 PM
POS's Avatar
POS POS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,506
Bmw is soon to be, or maybe already is, selling the 3-series diesel wagon. I hated the bmw dealer for services, but I'd think it'd be a more reliable car than the MB.
__________________
- Brian


1989 500SEL Euro
1966 250SE Cabriolet
1958 BMW Isetta 600
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The slums of Beverly Hills
Posts: 7,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I'd be more likely to go with the 320i. It's six grand cheaper than the 328d and almost 19 cheaper than the E250. It also comes with a manual transmission, while the other two don't. Fuel economy isn't as good, but six thousand dollars buys a lot of gas. It's also a hundred and some pounds lighter than the 328 and nearly a thousand pounds lighter than the E250.
+1

320i is a bargain compared to the other two and its also pretty damn efficient. The 328d is just a rebadged European marked 320d. In Europe they sell a 325d with 50 more HP than the 320d/328d. No manual transmission, no deal.
__________________
November 3rd flush the turd.
January 20 lock him up.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Plano, TX
Posts: 2,535
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
+1

320i is a bargain compared to the other two and its also pretty damn efficient. The 328d is just a rebadged European marked 320d. In Europe they sell a 325d with 50 more HP than the 320d/328d. No manual transmission, no deal.
+2. Look at the price differential between gasoline and diesel in the U.S. Here on the north side of DFW regular unleaded can be had for $2.89 while the best diesel price available is $3.59. At that differential, gasoline is less expensive on an energy equivalent basis (i.e. BTU/dollar). Of course, the BMW likely doesn't run on regular...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-07-2013, 06:47 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 3,790
According to the BMW website, they recommend premium.
__________________
Whoever said there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes never had a cheap Jaguar.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 367,xxx miles
08 Triumph Street Triple 30,xxx miles, lowered 10mm in front, Pirelli Angel GT tires, EBC HH brake pads, otherwise stock.
88 Jaguar XJS V12 93,xxx miles. I should be in the garage now.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-07-2013, 07:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The slums of Beverly Hills
Posts: 7,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
According to the BMW website, they recommend premium.
Even with premium gasoline, the difference in cost per mile between the 320i and 328d is negligible. Certainly it doesn't justify the huge cost of the diesel engine. I wish MB had the balls to sell a 4cyl gasoline engined E class in the US so we could have a fair comparison. Unfortunately the cost of emissions control has priced diesel engines in the US into a tiny nitch market. Hybrid systems keep getting cheaper while diesels keep getting more expensive.
__________________
November 3rd flush the turd.
January 20 lock him up.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 PM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 15,347
They don't need to sell the 4cyl gas (which would likely be the same engine as the CLA presently has) in the E class because the 4cyl diesel is already the lowest price E you can buy.
__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'15 GLK250 Bluetec 92k - mine - (OC-97,400)
'17 Metris(VITO!) - 18k - wifes (OC-25k)
'01 E320 Wagon - 161k - mine (OC-165,000)
'07 E350 Wagon - 136k - dad's (OC-139,500)
'01 SL500 - 58k - dad's (OC-59,000)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 83k - Brothers (OC-88,000)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-08-2013, 02:47 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles area
Posts: 607
Hmmmm, with a 3-series running up to an E-class (really the 5-series would be the competitor) why not really throw a wrench in your works here with a Passat TDi, big sedan (5 and E sized) available with a 6-speed manual, and really does get 45+ MPG.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-08-2013, 07:28 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: The slums of Beverly Hills
Posts: 7,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by pawoSD View Post
They don't need to sell the 4cyl gas (which would likely be the same engine as the CLA presently has) in the E class because the 4cyl diesel is already the lowest price E you can buy.
E200 (184hp) and E250 (211hp) gasoline engines are the cheapest E class models currently manufactured. This is the engine also found in the C class, not the CLA. The CLA has a different engine mounted sideways. Unfortunately MB lacks the testicular fortitude to bring that version of the E class to the USA.
__________________
November 3rd flush the turd.
January 20 lock him up.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-08-2013, 07:38 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 3,790
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4diesel View Post
Hmmmm, with a 3-series running up to an E-class (really the 5-series would be the competitor) why not really throw a wrench in your works here with a Passat TDi, big sedan (5 and E sized) available with a 6-speed manual, and really does get 45+ MPG.
C-Class is more along the size and price lines of the 3-series, but all the U.S. market C-Class cars are gasser automatics. Only major problems with the Passat are wrong wheel drive and some questions about reliability.
__________________
Whoever said there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes never had a cheap Jaguar.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 367,xxx miles
08 Triumph Street Triple 30,xxx miles, lowered 10mm in front, Pirelli Angel GT tires, EBC HH brake pads, otherwise stock.
88 Jaguar XJS V12 93,xxx miles. I should be in the garage now.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-08-2013, 12:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 37
+2 for the Passat. I looked at MB and BMW diesel options, and ended up buying a Jetta, because a Passat diesel just wasn't available in my area at the time I was ready to trade. I would of had to travel or have the dealer bring one in. They offered me an amazing deal on my trade if I took the Jetta because it was already on the lot and it was a year end close out.
I have been happy with it so, far. Almost 10k for miles covered, it is getting 42mpg everyday and have had 0 problems thus far.
I like the MB's and we have 2 older ones, but we just couldn't justify almost double the sticker price, of the nicely equipped Jetta. Sorry.
Maybe those with thicker pocketbooks can justify it.
My sister is looking at a Passat this weekend, although she isn't interested in the diesel option. Nice comfortable car.
If I had to do it al over again, I'm not sure I would buy the diesel at all. There are too many gas engines that do mid 30's for MPG and as someone previously said, with gas at $2.85 and diesel at $3.59 in my area, the gas car getting mid 30's MPG is actually probably cheaper to drive, plus more than likely cheaper to purchase.
I have been a diesel guy for over 20 years, but not sure they can really be justified anymore with higher fuel prices and all the emissions equipment the G has mandated. It really pains me to say that.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-08-2013, 01:48 PM
pawoSD's Avatar
Dieselsüchtiger
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 15,347
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrobb View Post
+2 for the Passat. I looked at MB and BMW diesel options, and ended up buying a Jetta, because a Passat diesel just wasn't available in my area at the time I was ready to trade. I would of had to travel or have the dealer bring one in. They offered me an amazing deal on my trade if I took the Jetta because it was already on the lot and it was a year end close out.
I have been happy with it so, far. Almost 10k for miles covered, it is getting 42mpg everyday and have had 0 problems thus far.
I like the MB's and we have 2 older ones, but we just couldn't justify almost double the sticker price, of the nicely equipped Jetta. Sorry.
Maybe those with thicker pocketbooks can justify it.
My sister is looking at a Passat this weekend, although she isn't interested in the diesel option. Nice comfortable car.
If I had to do it al over again, I'm not sure I would buy the diesel at all. There are too many gas engines that do mid 30's for MPG and as someone previously said, with gas at $2.85 and diesel at $3.59 in my area, the gas car getting mid 30's MPG is actually probably cheaper to drive, plus more than likely cheaper to purchase.
I have been a diesel guy for over 20 years, but not sure they can really be justified anymore with higher fuel prices and all the emissions equipment the G has mandated. It really pains me to say that.
The gas engine Jettas do not offer the same driving experience as the diesel. I've driven both and the diesel is way more fun. Also the gas ones rarely meet sticker rated levels of fuel economy while the diesel usually exceeds it. On that note, the Jetta wagon TDI we have is fun, but not enough to justify its cost, I also don't want to own it without warranty. Next year I might look to trade it for a W210 wagon or W211 wagon. ML Cdi will also be considered.

__________________
-diesel is not just a fuel, its a way of life-
'15 GLK250 Bluetec 92k - mine - (OC-97,400)
'17 Metris(VITO!) - 18k - wifes (OC-25k)
'01 E320 Wagon - 161k - mine (OC-165,000)
'07 E350 Wagon - 136k - dad's (OC-139,500)
'01 SL500 - 58k - dad's (OC-59,000)
'16 E400 4matic Sedan - 83k - Brothers (OC-88,000)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page