Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 02-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: St. Thomas PA
Posts: 957
Before you do anything else, run the engine briefly with all the belts disconnected, then you'll know for sure what the noise is, or isn't.
__________________
'83 300D, 126K miles.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Simpler=Better's Avatar
Ham Shanker
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDean View Post
The question is how will I know if the used turbo is any good and does not have the same problems? Can it be visually inspected without dismantling? I've got a line on a used one.
Look at the compressor wheel, it shouldn't have any nicks or abrasion on it.

The shaft can have a little (as in you can feel it but not see it) play in the "side-to-side" direction. The in-out direction should be tight.

When feeling a turbo, just feel it-don't go gorilla and crank on the blades.
__________________
$60 OM617 Blank Exhaust Flanges
$110 OM606 Blank Exhaust Flanges
No merc at the moment
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-10-2014, 11:20 AM
eatont9999's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpler=Better View Post
Look at the compressor wheel, it shouldn't have any nicks or abrasion on it.

The shaft can have a little (as in you can feel it but not see it) play in the "side-to-side" direction. The in-out direction should be tight.

When feeling a turbo, just feel it-don't go gorilla and crank on the blades.
What he said.
__________________
1991 F250 super-cab 7.3 IDI. (rebuilt by me) Banks Sidewinder turbo, hydroboost brakes, new IP and injectors.
2003 S430 - 107K
1983 300SD - Tanoshii - mostly restored ~400K+.
1983 300SD - Good interior. Engine finally tamed ~250K.
Monark Nozzle Install Video - http://tinyurl.com/ptd2tge
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 213
Another thing to check...

If you haven't already, it would probably be worthwhile to check and make sure the exhaust manifold is properly attached/secured. My motor was making a shrieking sound at around 2K-2.5K RPM and it turned out that the manifold was not secure, with bolts loose and even missing entirely. It is difficult for me to tell while viewing your video, however, if the shriek I experienced is similar to the one you are experiencing.

-Chris
__________________
Christopher
'06 Mercedes E350 station wagon
'85 Mercedes 300D (#2)
'79 Cadillac Sedan deVille

'85 Mercedes 300D (#1) sold back to orig. owner after 5 years on 8-1-06.
'84 Volvo 264GL Diesel, owned 2000-2013
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-10-2014, 07:37 PM
JamesDean's Avatar
Electrical Engineer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 5,019
I took the U pipe off, checked for play and took some pics.

From what I can tell:

-There is barely noticeable in-out play. It might not even be there.
-There is up-down play. I don't know how to quantify.
-There is no left-right play.

I took many photos of the blades. Let me know what you think. It does look like the blade has been impacting the housing:

W126 300SD Green - Turbo - Imgur

I think this might be the best pic of the blades, click to make bigger!
__________________
Cruise Control not working? Send me PM or email (jamesdean59@gmail.com). I might be able to help out.
Check here for compatibility, diagnostics, and availability!

82 300SD 145k
82 300SD 265k
87 420SEL 230k
89 420SEL 210k
89 560SEL 118k
90 300SE 262k RIP 5/25/2010
90 560SEL 154k
91 300D 2.5 Turbo. 241k
93 190E 3.0 235k
93 300E 195k
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-10-2014, 09:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: SoCal
Posts: 657
Did you try to spin the wheel> Did you feel any binding?
__________________
'85 300D Cal 280,000 miles
'07 C230 37,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-10-2014, 09:12 PM
whunter's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 17,354
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDean View Post
I took the U pipe off, checked for play and took some pics.

From what I can tell:

-There is barely noticeable in-out play. It might not even be there.
-There is up-down play. I don't know how to quantify.
-There is no left-right play.

I took many photos of the blades. Let me know what you think. It does look like the blade has been impacting the housing:

W126 300SD Green - Turbo - Imgur

I think this might be the best pic of the blades, click to make bigger!
I hope you realize, if it is eating the housing = metal shavings are entering your engine.

.
__________________
ASE Master Mechanic
asemastermechanic@juno.com

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Prototype Vehicle build.
Prototype Fleet Durability
Prototype vehicle instrumentation.
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1973 300D
1973 309D - stolen
1978 280SE
1980 240D
1983 300D
1984 190D
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-11-2014, 12:43 PM
JamesDean's Avatar
Electrical Engineer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by whunter View Post
I hope you realize, if it is eating the housing = metal shavings are entering your engine.

.
Yes I realize this, where else would they go?

The car has been parked for now. It will not be driven until this matter is resolved.

I will be contacting Pure Turbos to see what their thoughts and cost are on rebuilding this current unit versus rebuilding another used unit.
__________________
Cruise Control not working? Send me PM or email (jamesdean59@gmail.com). I might be able to help out.
Check here for compatibility, diagnostics, and availability!

82 300SD 145k
82 300SD 265k
87 420SEL 230k
89 420SEL 210k
89 560SEL 118k
90 300SE 262k RIP 5/25/2010
90 560SEL 154k
91 300D 2.5 Turbo. 241k
93 190E 3.0 235k
93 300E 195k
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-11-2014, 01:38 PM
whunter's Avatar
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Metro Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 17,354
Umm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDean View Post
Yes I realize this, where else would they go?

The car has been parked for now. It will not be driven until this matter is resolved.

I will be contacting Pure Turbos to see what their thoughts and cost are on rebuilding this current unit versus rebuilding another used unit.
Good.
The question was simply to verify that you know, and for future members.

A couple of my customers actually believed the shavings would fall to the bottom of the housing and stay there.

.
__________________
ASE Master Mechanic
asemastermechanic@juno.com

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Prototype Vehicle build.
Prototype Fleet Durability
Prototype vehicle instrumentation.
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1973 300D
1973 309D - stolen
1978 280SE
1980 240D
1983 300D
1984 190D
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-11-2014, 01:56 PM
JamesDean's Avatar
Electrical Engineer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 5,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by whunter View Post
Good.
The question was simply to verify that you know, and for future members.

A couple of my customers actually believed the shavings would fall to the bottom of the housing and stay there.

.
Ha! Maybe if they were REALLY dense. Lots-o-wind power in there lol
__________________
Cruise Control not working? Send me PM or email (jamesdean59@gmail.com). I might be able to help out.
Check here for compatibility, diagnostics, and availability!

82 300SD 145k
82 300SD 265k
87 420SEL 230k
89 420SEL 210k
89 560SEL 118k
90 300SE 262k RIP 5/25/2010
90 560SEL 154k
91 300D 2.5 Turbo. 241k
93 190E 3.0 235k
93 300E 195k
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page