Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2014, 11:33 AM
Stevo's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NW WA
Posts: 6,299
SD charging question

A good friend called with a "85"SD question. The GPs stay on for +- 2.5 minutes after the car starts and the alternator wont keep up with the draw resulting in a dead battery. his wife is running around doing errands in town and the battery will soon be dead with all the stopping and starting. The GPs shouldn't stay on for that long after the car starts, right?? Bad GP relay?

__________________


1985 Euro 240D 5 spd 140K
1979 240D 5 spd, 40K on engine rebuild
1994 Dodge/Cummins, 5 spd, 121K
1964 Allice Chalmers D15 tractor
2014 Kubota L3800 tractor
1964 VW bug

"Lifes too short to drive a boring car"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-19-2014, 11:37 AM
mattwestm's Avatar
1977 300D
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: KCMO
Posts: 73
That definitely sound like a bad relay. Try to find a good used one just in case the problem is elsewhere.

I was having issues with my relay coming on and immediately clicking off. Instead of spending beaucoup $$$$ on the older style relay (which may not have been the problem), I said screw it and installed a Ford solenoid. It works great on my W123. My W126 still has a factory relay.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2014, 11:52 AM
mach4's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Diego County, CA
Posts: 2,736
^^X2
__________________
Current Stable
  • 380SL (diesel)
  • Corvette C5
  • Manx
  • Baja Bug
  • F350 Powerstroke
  • Auburn Boattail Speedster replica
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-19-2014, 12:16 PM
Stevo's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NW WA
Posts: 6,299
Thanks guys. I have a used "85" 300TD (W123) GP relay, probably not usable for a test? It would be nice if we could verify the bad relay before he spends the bucks for a new one.
__________________


1985 Euro 240D 5 spd 140K
1979 240D 5 spd, 40K on engine rebuild
1994 Dodge/Cummins, 5 spd, 121K
1964 Allice Chalmers D15 tractor
2014 Kubota L3800 tractor
1964 VW bug

"Lifes too short to drive a boring car"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-2014, 01:51 PM
resto108's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Wichita
Posts: 385
Unplug the relay. Probably don't need it that bad in NW Washington (if that means the state, not the district).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-19-2014, 01:57 PM
JamesDean's Avatar
Electrical Engineer
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 5,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
Thanks guys. I have a used "85" 300TD (W123) GP relay, probably not usable for a test? It would be nice if we could verify the bad relay before he spends the bucks for a new one.
I would think that it would be compatible. I believe all the 82-85 cars used the same style relay. IIRC 001 545 98 32
__________________
Cruise Control not working? Send me PM or email (jamesdean59@gmail.com). I might be able to help out.
Check here for compatibility, diagnostics, and availability!

(4/11/2020: Hi Everyone! I am still taking orders and replying to emails/PMs/etc, I appreciate your patience in these crazy times. Stay safe and healthy!)


82 300SD 145k
89 420SEL 210k
89 560SEL 118k
90 300SE 262k RIP 5/25/2010
90 560SEL 154k
91 300D 2.5 Turbo. 241k
93 190E 3.0 235k
93 300E 195k
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-19-2014, 02:42 PM
Stevo's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NW WA
Posts: 6,299
Thanks for the replies, It looks the same and when we swapped it in, it seemed to operate correctly, so I told him to order a new one from Peach Parts and gimmy my spare back
__________________


1985 Euro 240D 5 spd 140K
1979 240D 5 spd, 40K on engine rebuild
1994 Dodge/Cummins, 5 spd, 121K
1964 Allice Chalmers D15 tractor
2014 Kubota L3800 tractor
1964 VW bug

"Lifes too short to drive a boring car"
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-19-2014, 02:49 PM
funola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
A good friend called with a "85"SD question. The GPs stay on for +- 2.5 minutes after the car starts and the alternator wont keep up with the draw resulting in a dead battery. his wife is running around doing errands in town and the battery will soon be dead with all the stopping and starting. The GPs shouldn't stay on for that long after the car starts, right?? Bad GP relay?
Something else is not right. 5 glow plugs once it reaches highest temp draws about 40 amps. The 85 SD has at least a 65 amp alternator and should keep up. Maybe it has a weak battery or weak alternator. If the glow plugs do indeed stay on for 2.5 minutes everytime the car is started and it is used for short trips then the battery may get weaker and weaker.

A solution is go manual. I have ones that are plug and play where the glow plugs are never on unless you push the button. Perfect for lot's of shot trips.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-used-parts-sale-wanted/359811-sale-manual-mercedes-glow-plug-controller-w123-300d-240d.html
__________________
85 300D turbo pristine w 157k when purchased 161K now
83 300 D turbo 297K runs great. SOLD!
83 240D 4 spd manual- parted out then junked
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-19-2014, 03:27 PM
Stevo's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: NW WA
Posts: 6,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
Something else is not right. 5 glow plugs once it reaches highest temp draws about 40 amps. The 85 SD has at least a 65 amp alternator and should keep up. Maybe it has a weak battery or weak alternator. If the glow plugs do indeed stay on for 2.5 minutes everytime the car is started and it is used for short trips then the battery may get weaker and weaker.

A solution is go manual. I have ones that are plug and play where the glow plugs are never on unless you push the button. Perfect for lot's of shot trips.

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-used-parts-sale-wanted/359811-sale-manual-mercedes-glow-plug-controller-w123-300d-240d.html
When he installed my relay the GPs didn't stay on after the car started so we'l see what happens when he gets the new one. The alternator is new and the battery should be good, we'll see what happens.

I've had the manual push button, through a starter solenoid, system in my 79 240D for years, I love it, trouble fee, one less thing to go wrong. This SD is pretty nice and he wants to keep it OEM.

__________________


1985 Euro 240D 5 spd 140K
1979 240D 5 spd, 40K on engine rebuild
1994 Dodge/Cummins, 5 spd, 121K
1964 Allice Chalmers D15 tractor
2014 Kubota L3800 tractor
1964 VW bug

"Lifes too short to drive a boring car"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page