PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Diesel Discussion (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/)
-   -   Kwik Question: Trickle Charger Contact Point? (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/diesel-discussion/372350-kwik-question-trickle-charger-contact-point.html)

Skid Row Joe 10-05-2015 10:24 PM

Kwik Question: Trickle Charger Contact Point?
 
06 E320 CDI

Where do I hook up a trickle charger on this particular MB diesel model?

I'll be storing my CDI for up to 6 - weeks at a time, and I don't want to unhook the batteries every time.

Part B): Is there ONE contact point that will keep BOTH CDI batteries on the one trickle charger?

Thanks for any experience / expertise with this MB diesel model with (2) batteries on-board!:)

Stretch 10-07-2015 04:52 AM

It doesn't look like anyone knows!

I can't help either though there was a thread started by either shertex or Kartek (I think) a few months back about W210 batteries and how a trickle charger can cock up the electronics (possibly a post by whunter) =>

Could I be more vague?

What does the book say?

dieselbenz1 10-07-2015 08:32 AM

Well I know when the ignition key is turned off the BCM isolates both batteries. Since the auxillary battery is used for brakes only I wouldn't really worry about it loosing a charge in 6 weeks.

The SAMs are fussy as my neighbour found out after his son gave a friend a boost and blew one. I understand your concern and I would visit the dealer and ask about using a trickle charger vs a battery tender.

TMAllison 10-07-2015 08:31 PM

Why worry about 90 days? Is there something fouled up that wont turn off?

I start my 300D once a year. I pull the neg cable, reconnect it and it fires right up.

vstech 10-07-2015 09:38 PM

Hmmmmm. I wouldn't be concerned with keeping up the aux battery. Once you have verified the model trickle charger you have will be safe on your vehicle, I'd just keep the main battery peaked.

Skid Row Joe 12-23-2016 07:42 PM

What models are ppl here using as battery tenders?

Also, will the battery tender work by pushing it in the front seating area ashtray / rear seating area, OR the trunk auxiliary DC plug-in??

I priced one out @ the MB dealer and the cost was like $200.00!

jbach36 12-23-2016 08:34 PM

Forget a trickle charger. Get this instead........
 
Look up on YouTube what Kent Bergsma said about battery chargers. He was recommending a Ctek Smart Charger with a reconditioning cycle, that pulsates electricity charges and knocks some of the sulfate off the batteries.

shertex 12-24-2016 09:03 AM

I use a Battery Tender Plus. Haven't had the occasion to use it yet on my CDI, but other CDI owners assure me it will work fine.

On a related topic....hadn't worried before about completely disconnecting power from the car. On the W210 it's simply a matter of resetting steering angle sensor and resynching windows. But there's a lot more going on in a newer car. So Bergsma recommends using an adapter than enables you to keep 12v applied to all the electronics through the OBD port when disconnecting the battery cables. Assuming that such a procedure is perfectly safe, seems like the way to go.

tyl604 12-24-2016 12:26 PM

Through the OBDII port? Supply power?

jay_bob 12-24-2016 12:29 PM

Only enough current to keep the ECU powered up so that it does not lose its adaptations and memory when the battery is disconnected.

tyl604 12-24-2016 11:18 PM

Interesting.

nelbur 12-25-2016 08:44 PM

Trickle charger usually means a small amp, dumb charger, that might kill your battery over time. What you want is a smart battery maintainer that periodically checks your battery for charge, provides a higher charge voltage until it is charged up, and then uses a low float charge of only about 13.4 volts to maintain the full charge. I would hook it to the main battery. Not sure if the brake battery will be maintained or not, but it seems like it should.

tyl604 12-25-2016 09:21 PM

I have an 1981 300SD so I have never heard of a brake battery. What the heck is it for; how does it work with the brakes? Do all cars have them now?

Skid Row Joe 12-25-2016 09:28 PM

Excellent points, nelbur.

The 06 CDI has the SBC (Sensonic Brake Control), necessitating the 2nd auxiliary battery located in the engine compartment under the cabin HVAC, fresh air filter & intake, on the passenger side nearest the firewall.

*Q: Will the CDI's auxiliary DC plug-ins all accept and charge the main battery? There's 4 plug ins; front ashtray (1), rear seating area ashtray (2), trunk cavity (1).

Skid Row Joe 12-25-2016 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyl604 (Post 3668040)
I have an 1981 300SD so I have never heard of a brake battery. What the heck is it for; how does it work with the brakes? Do all cars have them now?

As far as I know, only the SBC (SensonicBrakeControl) (Mercedes patented I think) years of Mercedes. That was short lived in years. The SBC anti-lock brake system uses the aux. battery, and the main battery as a backup. If my observation of mine going bad is accurate.

If you want to see what SBC does, there's at least one YouTube illustrating what it does, and how it is superior to anti-lock brakes. In effect, SBC is individual anti-lock brakes on each wheel.

The SBC battery is the size of and the same as a big motorcycle battery. I bought my replacement at NAPA. A Nippon/Chinese 12Volt - is just fine.

We 05 and 06 - I6 fixated MB E320 diesel buyers, will put up with the $1,500.00 +/- cost of a complete SBC system replacement, to not have to get the later W211, V6 Bluetec configuration.

Skid Row Joe 08-16-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vstech (Post 3526650)
Hmmmmm. I wouldn't be concerned with keeping up the aux battery. Once you have verified the model trickle charger you have will be safe on your vehicle, I'd just keep the main battery peaked.

THX!

Got the $11.99 Battery Tender from Walmart Automotive Center.

Are there contact points under the hood of the 06 E320 CDI, without attaching in the trunk cavity?

jay_bob 08-22-2018 06:04 PM

Not on my 2nd gen 2008 E320 with the OM642. Manual shows going across the battery in the trunk to jump it.

I always thought that the rule was you made the last connection as the - of the dead car to to the chassis and not to the battery. The thought is that is where it will spark and you don’t want to light off any hydrogen that may be coming off the battery.

But the manual shows battery to battery. It does say to make the last connection at the E320’s battery, probably due to the fact that it is a sealed battery with a vent tube, so it does not emit hydrogen into the area around the terminals.

chronometers 09-22-2018 05:22 PM

Do not use a cheap charger on your MB Diesel!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 3836984)
THX!

Got the $11.99 Battery Tender from Walmart Automotive Center.

Are there contact points under the hood of the 06 E320 CDI, without attaching in the trunk cavity?

STOP....do not use a cheap battery charger on these vehicles! After a bunch of research, it seems cheap chargers are just that....cheap! You run the risk of them malfunctioning and frying your battery and/or electronics.

MB approved chargers are made by CTEK which is a Swedish company that manufactures chargers. CTEK makes a lot of different models and you have to make sure and get one rated to handle the large batteries our diesel's have (> 95 Ah).

I found this one to be the correct size and this was the best priced new one I could find after going to a bunch of sites (seller also shipped it quickly):

CTEK charger suitable in size for our MB diesel batteries: MUS 4.3

This charger comes with two connection method's: clamps and eye rings. For the E320 CDI (or any vehicle with difficult to reach battery in trunk), I recommend hooking up the eye rings to the battery post bolts and snaking the wire out to a convenient place in the trunk. You then just connect the charger to the wall, connect the charger to the connection point (after removing the rubber protective cap), and then set the charger to charge.

Warning: do not run the "Reconditioning mode" with the charger connected to a battery and vehicle due to the higher voltage used. The newer diesels have very sensitive electronics and electrical systems! This mode might shorten the life span of electrical system of car.

The CTEK unit I purchased is very well made and thought out. I can see why MB approves of these!

The newer MB's use quite a bit of energy even when not running and this puts a lot of strain on the batteries. If you leave your newer vehicle for any length of time, using one of these occasionally or leave it on while in storage. Makes a lot of sense. You will be rewarded with a car that is always ready to start and you will get longer battery life.

Since I leave my CDI stored in the winter and it is cold here, I think this charger will pay for itself the first year of ownership.


-- Chris

shertex 09-22-2018 06:30 PM

Chris,

Thanks for this post and the research you did. For a number of years I have used a Battery Tender Plus, which has always seemed to work well with various diesels. Any reason to believe this is not a good choice? I do notice that the CTEK has a higher current capacity, which of course would be better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronometers (Post 3844888)
STOP....do not use a cheap battery charger on these vehicles! After a bunch of research, it seems cheap chargers are just that....cheap! You run the risk of them malfunctioning and frying your battery and/or electronics.

MB approved chargers are made by CTEK which is a Swedish company that manufactures chargers. CTEK makes a lot of different models and you have to make sure and get one rated to handle the large batteries our diesel's have (> 95 Ah).

I found this one to be the correct size and this was the best priced new one I could find after going to a bunch of sites (seller also shipped it quickly):

CTEK charger suitable in size for our MB diesel batteries: MUS 4.3

This charger comes with two connection method's: clamps and eye rings. For the E320 CDI (or any vehicle with difficult to reach battery in trunk), I recommend hooking up the eye rings to the battery post bolts and snaking the wire out to a convenient place in the trunk. You then just connect the charger to the wall, connect the charger to the connection point (after removing the rubber protective cap, and then set the charger to charge.

Warning: do not run the Reconditioning mode with the charger connected to a battery and vehicle due to the higher voltage used. The newer diesels have very sensitive electronics and electrical systems! This mode might shorten the life span of electrical system of car.

The CTEK unit I purchased is very well made and thought out. I can see why MB approves of these!

The newer MB's use quite a bit of energy even when not running and this puts a lot of strain on the batteries. If you leave your newer vehicle for any length of time, using one of these occasionally or leave it on while in storage. Makes a lot of sense. You will be rewarded with a car that is always ready to start and you will get longer battery life.

Since I leave my CDI stored in the winter and it is cold here, I think this charger will pay for itself the first year of ownership.


-- Chris


chronometers 09-22-2018 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shertex (Post 3844901)
Chris,

Thanks for this post and the research you did. For a number of years I have used a Battery Tender Plus, which has always seemed to work well with various diesels. Any reason to believe this is not a good choice? I do notice that the CTEK has a higher current capacity, which of course would be better.

Not sure of Battery Tender Plus but the CTEK would be a good unit if you do not already have a charger. My E320 CDI's battery died last winter while in storage. Check the specs. of the battery tender to make sure it will charge a battery the size of the battery in the diesels you are using. The E320 CDI from 2005-6 use a 95Ah AGM battery.

shertex 09-24-2018 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chronometers (Post 3844925)
Not sure of Battery Tender Plus but the CTEK would be a good unit if you do not already have a charger. My E320 CDI's battery died last winter while in storage. Check the specs. of the battery tender to make sure it will charge a battery the size of the battery in the diesels you are using. The E320 CDI from 2005-6 use a 95Ah AGM battery.

It says it works with all AGM batteries. But as it's 1.25A, it may just take longer.

gsxr 09-24-2018 10:11 AM

Chris is correct, a cheap charger (particularly a no-name / offbrand) is always risky. CTEK makes good chargers. I have a CTEK MUS 4.3 and it works nicely (link).

I also have several Pulse Tech Xtreme Chargers which are chargers / maintainers / desfulators, similar to most of the higher-end CTEK. One thing I like about the Xtreme Charge is that it will desulfate (pulse) during the charge cycle, where the CTEK will not begine to desulfate / pulse until several days after full charge is reached.

https://www.amazon.com/Pulsetech-Xtreme-Auto-Charger-Black/dp/B00BPF0Y64

YMMV, etc...

:stuart:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website