Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 598
is it ok to bump start when replacing vacuum pump

getting ready to remove/rebuild my vacuum pump.

normally I would turn the engine from the crank, but I've installed a radiator skid plate and access is blocked.

so, can I use a remote start switch to turn the engine, with the vacuum pump off.?

I need to do this in order to get the timing device bushing properly oriented to re-install the pump.

I normally use the remote start for valve adjustments, but unsure if its ok to do so with the timing device exposed.

hopefully that makes sense.

thx very much
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-05-2016, 01:20 PM
Stretch's Avatar
...like a shield of steel
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Netherlands
Posts: 14,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabstick420 View Post
getting ready to remove/rebuild my vacuum pump.

normally I would turn the engine from the crank, but I've installed a radiator skid plate and access is blocked.

so, can I use a remote start switch to turn the engine, with the vacuum pump off.?

I need to do this in order to get the timing device bushing properly oriented to re-install the pump.

I normally use the remote start for valve adjustments, but unsure if its ok to do so with the timing device exposed.

hopefully that makes sense.

thx very much
So long as the engine doesn't start this should be fine.

(And if the engine does start you'll only get a load of oil flying out)

Make sure you wire the stop lever to stop.

And to make it easier for the starter I'd remove the glow plugs - I guess you will be there for a while saying "**** missed it again"
__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior



Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 598
haven't tried removing the glow plugs.

I just unplug the GP relay and make sure the engine is cooled down.

is that bad? does leaving the glow plugs strain the starter?

I only do this for valve adjusts. should I be removing the GPs for this procedure?

thx
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-05-2016, 05:28 PM
jay_bob's Avatar
Control Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 3,298
I think Stretch is trying to say that you should remove the glow plugs to relieve the compression in the cylinders. That will make it much easier to rotate the engine around as you will not be fighting compression.
__________________
2014 ML350 Bluetec (wife's DD)
2008 E320 Bluetec (my DD)
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son's college DD)
1998 E300DT (Younger son's college DD)
1987 300TD sold to vstech
----------
gone but living on
1983 240D (body to greazzer, engine to t walgamuth)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-05-2016, 07:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 598
got it.

turned out that I could reach the crank from above when the vacuum was removed.

job done. rebuilt vacuum installed.

thx for the info
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-05-2016, 07:24 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 598
for those interested.

I removed the PS pump and detached upper radiator hose from radiator.

that gave enough space to get in and remove the vacuum pump.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-05-2016, 09:38 PM
Stretch's Avatar
...like a shield of steel
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Somewhere in the Netherlands
Posts: 14,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabstick420 View Post
haven't tried removing the glow plugs.

I just unplug the GP relay and make sure the engine is cooled down.

is that bad? does leaving the glow plugs strain the starter?

I only do this for valve adjusts. should I be removing the GPs for this procedure?

thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_bob View Post
I think Stretch is trying to say that you should remove the glow plugs to relieve the compression in the cylinders. That will make it much easier to rotate the engine around as you will not be fighting compression.
Also in this circumstance it is safer to bump start a mechanically controlled diesel engine with no compression: If there's no compression then the thing won't start by accident (say the stop lever doesn't work) whilst you are leaning over the thing with your fingers close to things that might like to chew them!
__________________
1992 W201 190E 1.8 171,000 km - Daily driver
1981 W123 300D ~ 100,000 miles / 160,000 km - project car stripped to the bone
1965 Land Rover Series 2a Station Wagon CIS recovery therapy!
1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior



Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-05-2016, 09:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: NorCal
Posts: 598
excellent info.

will apply this to future repairs

thx gents
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page