Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2018, 05:39 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 7,332
SBC brake bleeding

I have the code to replace my hydro brake accumulator in my 2005 e320cdi. I bought the part from our forum owners site; my indie says that after replacement the bleeding is very difficult and perhaps may be a dealer only option. Advice? How to do this?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2018, 11:07 AM
ROLLGUY's Avatar
ROLLGUY
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTUpower View Post
I have the code to replace my hydro brake accumulator in my 2005 e320cdi. I bought the part from our forum owners site; my indie says that after replacement the bleeding is very difficult and perhaps may be a dealer only option. Advice? How to do this?
I have viewed a couple youtube videos about this because I need to do it as well next week (replacing SBC module). I believe this job can be done without Xentry, but am still researching. All of the videos show being hooked to a computer. If you find out before me, please advise!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2018, 11:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Barrington, RI
Posts: 5,444
I know that my indie is able to do this....did indicate that it's challenging, though.
__________________
06 E320 CDI "Benson", Platinum Blue, 174k mi
06 E320 CDI "Rutherford", Black, 144k mi
91 300D "Otis", Smoke Silver, 128k mi
98 E300 "Murray", Silver, 128k mi, Stage 2 Rocketchip chip tuned, under son's care

Twelve other MB's owned and sold
2002 Honda Odyssey 241k mi (want to name it "Homer," wife won't let me)
1961 Very Tolerant Wife
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2018, 11:32 AM
ROLLGUY's Avatar
ROLLGUY
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by shertex View Post
I know that my indie is able to do this....did indicate that it's challenging, though.
I would like to do it myself, so I don't have to have the car towed to the shop AND pay for the bleeding. My neighborhood shop is able to do the job, but they are as expensive as the dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2018, 12:26 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oberlin, OH
Posts: 509
If you have had work done at a dealership in recent past (2 years I believe), they will cover tow to the dealership. You can call MB roadside assistance and see if you qualify.

The brake bleed is about $150 at most dealerships and sometimes there are service coupons available. I have my SBC brake bleeds done at dealership because of the added complexity and I then qualify for roadside assistance and tows if I am on the road.

I do not think the cost is that bad either.....I had my last one done for about $110 with tax after using a spend $200 and get $100 off coupon.

The service manager let me make up the difference to get to $200 by adding parts to the bill....I bought a bunch of MB anti-freeze which I need to change this year and it was free.

I look at brake fluid for SBC equipped cars as something that is good for a dealership to do...you kill tow birds (SBC and qualify toward roadside assistance and towing). I think if an MB dealer does the flushes every two years, you may have more leverage for help if the SBC pump fails too.
__________________
-- Chris

'95 E300, 216k miles, Silver Surfer
'05 E320 CDI, 138k miles
'07 S550 4matic, 69k miles

Gone but not forgotten:

'76 300D, 350k miles?, SOLD in 1995
'75 240D, 300k miles, SOLD in 1991
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2018, 12:42 PM
jay_bob's Avatar
Control Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 3,302
MB cancelled the free roadside assist if you get serviced policy a couple years ago.

Now only applies if you buy new or CPO from dealer for as long as you own it.
__________________
2014 ML350 Bluetec (wife's DD)
2008 E320 Bluetec (my DD)
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son's college DD)
1998 E300DT (Younger son's college DD)
1987 300TD sold to vstech
----------
gone but living on
1983 240D (body to greazzer, engine to t walgamuth)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2018, 05:14 PM
ROLLGUY's Avatar
ROLLGUY
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by chronometers View Post
If you have had work done at a dealership in recent past (2 years I believe), they will cover tow to the dealership. You can call MB roadside assistance and see if you qualify.

The brake bleed is about $150 at most dealerships and sometimes there are service coupons available. I have my SBC brake bleeds done at dealership because of the added complexity and I then qualify for roadside assistance and tows if I am on the road.

I do not think the cost is that bad either.....I had my last one done for about $110 with tax after using a spend $200 and get $100 off coupon.

The service manager let me make up the difference to get to $200 by adding parts to the bill....I bought a bunch of MB anti-freeze which I need to change this year and it was free.

I look at brake fluid for SBC equipped cars as something that is good for a dealership to do...you kill tow birds (SBC and qualify toward roadside assistance and towing). I think if an MB dealer does the flushes every two years, you may have more leverage for help if the SBC pump fails too.


I have only owned this car for less than a year, and have never darkened the door of a Mercedes-Benz Service Center. The closest dealer to me is 40+ miles. I could call and see what the price is, and if they will tow it as part of the deal....Rich.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-26-2018, 12:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Rogersville, Missouri
Posts: 164
Link to the current roadside assistance rules
Mercedes-Benz Roadside Assistance - Eligibility and Coverage
__________________
Paulwho
1987 190E-16v,
1988 260E Gone after 19 years of service,
2006 C280 4MATIC Gone to another
2006 OM647 Dodge (Mercedes) Sprinter
Time to find another car
29 years Mercede-Benz Technician, Retired Master Technician/Master Wrench
Master Guild Technician once/ SLR Technician Nine cars serviced
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-30-2018, 10:48 PM
jay_bob's Avatar
Control Freak
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 3,302
Wow that is even more restrictive now.
Only until your warranty runs out unless you are grandfathered from pre 2011.

I remember back in the day when it was any MB with no restrictions.
__________________
2014 ML350 Bluetec (wife's DD)
2008 E320 Bluetec (my DD)
2008 ML320 CDI (Older son's college DD)
1998 E300DT (Younger son's college DD)
1987 300TD sold to vstech
----------
gone but living on
1983 240D (body to greazzer, engine to t walgamuth)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-31-2018, 06:53 PM
bsmuwk's Avatar
124.051
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: IL / WI
Posts: 932
you need a pressure bleeder and a high end scanner (SO Verus, Autel, or MB DAS) to activate the sbc bleed cycle. from there, whatever scanner you're using will have you follow a bleed procedure. this is not difficult by any means, but you need the equipment. fluid shoots out of the bleeders, so whatever you're using to catch the fluid should be very well attached!

i usually charge $130 for the service.
__________________
-Allen
Lakemoor, IL
Artisan Motorenbau
Chicagoland Mercedes Enthusiast Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mbclubchicago/
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-31-2018, 11:20 PM
ROLLGUY's Avatar
ROLLGUY
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 6,098
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmuwk View Post
you need a pressure bleeder and a high end scanner (SO Verus, Autel, or MB DAS) to activate the sbc bleed cycle. from there, whatever scanner you're using will have you follow a bleed procedure. this is not difficult by any means, but you need the equipment. fluid shoots out of the bleeders, so whatever you're using to catch the fluid should be very well attached!

i usually charge $130 for the service.
I figured I would need at least a pressure bleeder, that is no problem. The high end scanner is a problem for me. I am sure my local Euro guy can do it, but a towing is involved and he is not cheap. I wanted to avoid that if at all possible.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-01-2018, 11:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLGUY View Post
I figured I would need at least a pressure bleeder, that is no problem. The high end scanner is a problem for me. I am sure my local Euro guy can do it, but a towing is involved and he is not cheap. I wanted to avoid that if at all possible.
You could try the procedure in Mercedes doc AR42.10-P-0009T. It is called Bleed Brake System Without Star Diagnosis. I have a Xentry clone so I have never tried this.

Mercedes Benz Workshop Manuals > E 320 4MATIC Sedan (211.082) V6-3.2L (112.954) (2004) > Brakes and Traction Control > Brake Bleeding > System Information > Service and Repair > AR42.10-P-0009T Bleed Brake System Without Star Diagnosis

When I replaced my SBC reservoir last weekend, the bleed procedure was a little different and I was also able to do other things like check for air in the brake system when I was done.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page