Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-29-2019, 12:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gastonia, NC
Posts: 1,348
1996 E300 Transmission Shifting Issues

Iím not finding much thatís specific to the Ď96 E300 722.4 transmission.

Iíve inspected all the vacuum lines. No breaks or leaks...that can be easily detected. The transmission just doesnít want to let go of each gear. When it DOES shift, it is a smooth shift. The problem is that I have to stay into the accelerator and wind it out to get it to shift. Letting off the accelerator does nothing to help it shift. Donít even think about engaging the kick down switch! Youíll be up to 80 mph before it will ever let go and go into 4th hear. Low speed shifts are completely non existent.

Iím very familiar with adjusting the VCV and Bowden cable/pressure control cable on a w124 and a W126, but this w210 has an unfamiliar set up to me. Would appreciate some pointers from those who have experience with the Ď96 E300. Thanks! Kevin

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-29-2019, 08:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gastonia, NC
Posts: 1,348
Control Pressure Cable/Bowden

Is there a way to adjust the cable on the Ď96 w210 E300? Iím missing it if there is.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-29-2019, 10:01 PM
sixto's Avatar
smoke gets in your eyes
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 20,806
It should be the same control pressure cable setup. It routes to the area of the brake master cylinder where it meets a cable from the accelerator pedal.

Have you checked fluid level?

Sixto
98 E320s sedan and wagon
02 C320 wagon
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-29-2019, 11:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gastonia, NC
Posts: 1,348
I thought so too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixto View Post
It should be the same control pressure cable setup. It routes to the area of the brake master cylinder where it meets a cable from the accelerator pedal.

Have you checked fluid level?

Sixto
98 E320s sedan and wagon
02 C320 wagon
The fluid level is correct and the fluid great! Thereís no adjustment ďnutĒ on the cable like youíd find on an OM601/602/603. Information is also very scarce on this particular setup.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-06-2019, 05:53 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gastonia, NC
Posts: 1,348
Iíll Try This Again

Fluid level is correct and fluid is nice and clean. When the transmission shifts it is a nice clean shift. Moderate to heavy acceleration produces fairly decent shift times. Light acceleration causes the transmission to wind out to shift. This is very annoying in traffic and around town. Iíve inspected every vacuum component under the hood for leaks. The control cable with the vacuum actuator holds vacuum. I read that it should. Iím not finding any diagnostic procedures for this particular setup. I can lengthen/shorten the control cable up at the accelerator linkage located near the brake booster. Adjusting the cable does nothing to alter the shift points.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-06-2019, 09:03 PM
spock505's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 1,387
If the modulator is holding vacuum it's adjusted too far, in operation it should bleed away vacuum otherwise the plunger will stay put - posted info on checking recently, (click user name).
__________________
David


1996 Mercedes S124 E300TD - 129k - rolling restoration project -

1998 Mercedes W210 300TD - 118k (assimilated into above vehicle)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-06-2019, 10:54 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gastonia, NC
Posts: 1,348
Pictures

The upper end of the cable at the vacuum control valve. Cable length can be adjusted by loosening the bolt that is circled (pic 1). No change when adjusted. I am very familiar with adjusting the cable for previous years on the 606, 603, 602, and the 601. I also know the procedure for the 617. I'm familiar with adjusting the vacuum control valve on the above mentioned models. I'm familiar with testing and adjusting the modulator on the aforementioned models.

This particular car has the electronically controlled accelerator pedal/cable. It has a vacuum actuator on the control pressure cable at the lower, transmission end. The vacuum is routed through some other electronic controls underneath the antilock brake "brain" that's mounted on the left front fender.

This system is not just a cable to the trans and a vacuum line to the modulator. I've tested the vacuum actuator that is part of the control cable assembly. From what I found in researching, the actuator is supposed to hold vacuum. It does! I'm at a loss as to how to run any diagnostic procedures on this system to eliminate components. If it was just the good old Bowden cable, vacuum control valve, and a modulator then I'd know where to go from here. There's not much info out there for the '96 E300 with the 722.4.

Pic #2 is a googled pic of the control cable/vacuum actuator assembly. The white arrow shows the cable. The yellow arrow shows where the vacuum line connects.
Attached Thumbnails
1996 E300 Transmission Shifting Issues-img_1434.jpg   1996 E300 Transmission Shifting Issues-img_1437.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-06-2019, 11:21 PM
Diseasel300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 5,685
The 722.4 operates the same in the W210 as it does in the W124. The control pressure cable adjusts how late the shifts occur. The tighter it is, the later the shift. The vacuum adjusts how firm the shift is. More vacuum = softer shift for lower speeds and to prevent clunks on downshifts as you slow down.

If the shifts are all at the high RPM, check that the kickdown button isn't stuck. You might also try unplugging the solenoid on the transmission to see if it makes any difference. If the solenoid is stuck open, or if something is shorted keeping it energized, the shifts will all be at very high RPM as if you have it floored.
__________________
'11 Honda Accord EX - "The Daily" 73K
'91 350SD - "Diseasel Jr." 176K
'94 BMW 525i - "The Red Car" 181k
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-06-2019, 11:29 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gastonia, NC
Posts: 1,348
Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diseasel300 View Post
The 722.4 operates the same in the W210 as it does in the W124. The control pressure cable adjusts how late the shifts occur. The tighter it is, the later the shift. The vacuum adjusts how firm the shift is. More vacuum = softer shift for lower speeds and to prevent clunks on downshifts as you slow down.

If the shifts are all at the high RPM, check that the kickdown button isn't stuck. You might also try unplugging the solenoid on the transmission to see if it makes any difference. If the solenoid is stuck open, or if something is shorted keeping it energized, the shifts will all be at very high RPM as if you have it floored.
So explain the vacuum actuator on the cable assembly shown in the picture. There's also an upshift delay "transducer" in the mix with regard to the cable vacuum actuator. I own a '95 E300. Not the same set up. Not at all.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-07-2019, 12:26 AM
Diseasel300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 5,685
Get yourself a service manual for the car in question and find the section for adjusting the transmission and accelerator linkages. The tranny itself is mechanically the same as all 722.3 and 722.4 units before. The control section for the W210 is necessarily different since there is no direct connection to the accelerator pedal.
__________________
'11 Honda Accord EX - "The Daily" 73K
'91 350SD - "Diseasel Jr." 176K
'94 BMW 525i - "The Red Car" 181k
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-07-2019, 12:36 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gastonia, NC
Posts: 1,348
Haha!

So youíre saying theyíre different. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-07-2019, 12:38 AM
Diseasel300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 5,685
No. The transmissions are the same. The input to the transmissions are the same. You just have a different linkage setup up-top. You need to find out if you have a stuck kickdown switch and/or solenoid, or if your control pressure cable is actually doing what its supposed to.
__________________
'11 Honda Accord EX - "The Daily" 73K
'91 350SD - "Diseasel Jr." 176K
'94 BMW 525i - "The Red Car" 181k
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-07-2019, 11:53 AM
spock505's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 1,387
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilslick View Post
The upper end of the cable at the vacuum control valve. Cable length can be adjusted by loosening the bolt that is circled (pic 1). No change when adjusted. I am very familiar with adjusting the cable for previous years on the 606, 603, 602, and the 601. I also know the procedure for the 617. I'm familiar with adjusting the vacuum control valve on the above mentioned models. I'm familiar with testing and adjusting the modulator on the aforementioned models.

This particular car has the electronically controlled accelerator pedal/cable. It has a vacuum actuator on the control pressure cable at the lower, transmission end. The vacuum is routed through some other electronic controls underneath the antilock brake "brain" that's mounted on the left front fender.

This system is not just a cable to the trans and a vacuum line to the modulator. I've tested the vacuum actuator that is part of the control cable assembly. From what I found in researching, the actuator is supposed to hold vacuum. It does! I'm at a loss as to how to run any diagnostic procedures on this system to eliminate components. If it was just the good old Bowden cable, vacuum control valve, and a modulator then I'd know where to go from here. There's not much info out there for the '96 E300 with the 722.4.

Pic #2 is a googled pic of the control cable/vacuum actuator assembly. The white arrow shows the cable. The yellow arrow shows where the vacuum line connects.
This looks like a cross over year when 210's were fitted out with hybrid 124 parts including a 722.4 box - the second photo appears to be a 722.427 which also appeared in UK during W202 crossover, although not 210's to my knowledge.

It depends on how much of the 210 stuff you have, is the IP fully electronic matted to OM606.962?

The 722.4 only has the two forms of input mentioned above, need to figure out where the input is taken for bowden cable substitute.
__________________
David


1996 Mercedes S124 E300TD - 129k - rolling restoration project -

1998 Mercedes W210 300TD - 118k (assimilated into above vehicle)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-07-2019, 10:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gastonia, NC
Posts: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by spock505 View Post
This looks like a cross over year when 210's were fitted out with hybrid 124 parts including a 722.4 box - the second photo appears to be a 722.427 which also appeared in UK during W202 crossover, although not 210's to my knowledge.

It depends on how much of the 210 stuff you have, is the IP fully electronic matted to OM606.962?

The 722.4 only has the two forms of input mentioned above, need to figure out where the input is taken for bowden cable substitute.
The IP is fully electronic. The transmission end of the pressure control cable in my Ď95 looks nothing like the one in the Ď96. I wish I knew what the vacuum actuator integrated into it does. The Ď95 has just a basic PCC in the transmission and can be adjusted with the plastic nut adjuster at upper end. I canít see how the kickdown switch could be stuck. The transmission shifts relatively well with medium to heavy acceleration. It will NOT upshift under light acceleration. Iím searching for a manual, but havenít found one yet.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-08-2019, 01:28 AM
spock505's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Blighty
Posts: 1,387
It could be you have a speed sensor down but because of the hybrid electronics fault codes maybe absent.

The later 210 relies heavily on four speed sensors located on each wheel, rear ones are heat shrink and subject to breaking although you would normally expect to see other fault lights, ABS, ASD ..

TPS would be another point of call, check output measures correct accelerator position.

__________________
David


1996 Mercedes S124 E300TD - 129k - rolling restoration project -

1998 Mercedes W210 300TD - 118k (assimilated into above vehicle)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page