Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Diesel Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 05-08-2004, 03:06 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reno/Sparks, NV
Posts: 3,063
This guy is famous on Ebay for selling rare cars. Last year he had an 83 240D with only 24K miles in showroom condition that I almost bought. It sold for $15K. I think this one will sell for a similar price but I highly doubt anyone's going to "buy it now" for $22K. If it wasn't for the brand new house that I just bought, I'd be seriously interested in this car.

Langpfeife, where are all the low-mileage "grandma" cars that you're talking about? I've been watching the market for the last two years and have seen none within 100 miles of me and very few nationwide.
__________________
2004 VW Jetta TDI (manual)

Past MB's: '96 E300D, '83 240D, '82 300D, '87 300D, '87 420SEL
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-08-2004, 03:18 PM
wolf_walker's Avatar
Zen And The Art Of Diesel
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,046
Yeah, you guys that just can't believe these prices have to understand that cars and owners like this are not in the league of *most* of the people that follow these forums, were mostly DIY'er of one sort of another that like these cars more than a little because there well made and long lived, and cheap for a reasonable example to drive pretty regular Someone who pays $12K for a showroom 240D or $20 for a truly pristine SD is not going to wrench on it in there back yard and drive it around all the time. It's a whole nother world guys, don't knock it just because it offends your frugal sensabilities. You can't restore one to originaly condition for that kinda money. And it's only original once.



And as far as the fellow who'd rather have the newer whatever it was, your completly missing the point, go play in the general tech section or somewhere that caters more to newer models. There is no comparison what so ever.
__________________
One more Radar Lover gone...
1982 VW Caddy diesel 402K 1.9L AAZ
1994 E320 175K
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 66
Well lots of these cars were produced, they aren't rare yet, so IMO 15-22k is too much. On occasion, I
do come across nice, original examples, under 80k miles for far less than 10k (usually from about 5-7.5k).
Also, just becasue a car has only 50k miles doesn't automatically make it better than one with 150k.

However, I do agree in part with what wolf_walker said, from the perspective of a collector, or someone
who wants to preserve a nice example, the logic is understandable.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 62
Hey this guy really thinks he's going to get over 20000 for this car i cant believe it. I called him to see if i could see the car and he said If im not willing to put up the 20 + he doesnt want me to waste his time. I was like well if nobody meets your reserve would you be willing to sell lower and hes like it will sell at 20 + i cant believe this.
__________________
1982 300D Turbo (Mom's)
1993 BMW 525I (Dad's)
2001 Vw Golf (Brothers)
2002 Nissan Ser SpecV (Im the Black sheep lol)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-08-2004, 05:05 PM
mb123mercedes
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
It does look nice.

But I do see some red flags.

For one it is a Colorado car in New Jersey
(still has the CO plates on it).

The front passenger jacking hole seems to
have been touched up.

Also the alda has been messed with,the plastic
cap is missing.
Kinda strange for a low mileage car.
My 84 wagon has 265k on the odo but still
has the plastic cap on the alda.

And yes it was build in 83,maybe as model
year 84.
Happens all the time these days.


Louis.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-08-2004, 05:10 PM
lietuviai's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SW WA
Posts: 5,741
Quote:
Originally posted by Jugo Driver#1
Hey this guy really thinks he's going to get over 20000 for this car i cant believe it. I called him to see if i could see the car and he said If im not willing to put up the 20 + he doesnt want me to waste his time. I was like well if nobody meets your reserve would you be willing to sell lower and hes like it will sell at 20 + i cant believe this.
Sounds like this guy is looking for an idiot to pay his price. What an attitude! I hope he gets a bogus buyer.
__________________
DJ


84 300D Turbodiesel 190K with 4 speed manual sold in 03/2012
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 05-08-2004, 05:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Kansas City, MO, USA
Posts: 1,213
Quote:


And as far as the fellow who'd rather have the newer whatever it was, your completly missing the point, go play in the general tech section or somewhere that caters more to newer models. There is no comparison what so ever.
You're wrong there. As much as I recognize the fact that the car is in excellent shape and is a collector's item, I don't believe it has achieved the status to command such a premium price yet. If one searches hard enough, I bet they can still find some of those cars with relatively low mileage. Hey, I just bought a 1984 300SD with 145,xxx miles and it was in mint condition. Even the seats were in excellent shape. Hey, I don't miss the point. I paid $55,000 for very old, rare Jag two years ago. It was in prestine condition and was rarely used. But I sold it recently to get my money back for my business.

I was just saying that instead of spending that kind of money on that car which isn't old enough to be considered a top value collectors' item, I'd rather buy a newer, E-Class diesel. At least I can pick up chicks with the E-Class and not with that old school benz. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 05-08-2004, 07:34 PM
wolf_walker's Avatar
Zen And The Art Of Diesel
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally posted by braverichard
You're wrong there. As much as I recognize the fact that the car is in excellent shape and is a collector's item, I don't believe it has achieved the status to command such a premium price yet. If one searches hard enough, I bet they can still find some of those cars with relatively low mileage. Hey, I just bought a 1984 300SD with 145,xxx miles and it was in mint condition. Even the seats were in excellent shape. Hey, I don't miss the point. I paid $55,000 for very old, rare Jag two years ago. It was in prestine condition and was rarely used. But I sold it recently to get my money back for my business.

I was just saying that instead of spending that kind of money on that car which isn't old enough to be considered a top value collectors' item, I'd rather buy a newer, E-Class diesel. At least I can pick up chicks with the E-Class and not with that old school benz. LOL
To each there own, and I don't begrudge anyone finding cheap low mile cars as I said before, especialy if there going to care for them and appreciate them. It's just the bottemfeeder type that buys a $2K SD or whatever and drives it into the damn ground. This very common occurence with ALL European imports IS going to make there value go way up eventualy as there will be relativly few nice one's left. Wait and see.

And there is absolutly nothing to make me want a new anything, E class, whatever, there the oposite of everything I like about an old 126 or 123. For that kind of money in a new car there are better things to be had. Better being a relative term. They are pretty and technicaly interisting, but I have as much interist in owneing and maintaining and swallowing the depreciation as I do in haveing a hole drilled in my skull.

And I managed to pick up chicks in my VW diesel pickups, and I'm as picky over women as I am over vehicles...
An "interisting" old car is a good litmus test for women. If they don't like my VW's, I don't have any use for them. And I can afford to be picky in this case.
__________________
One more Radar Lover gone...
1982 VW Caddy diesel 402K 1.9L AAZ
1994 E320 175K
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 05-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,306
wolf_walker whats wrong with the new ones? I don't know much about the W123 but the W126's are no bargin. They all have stupid little problems, W126, W140, W220. I like them all and hope to move on up threw them as I can afford too. I will always have a W126 but just because the W220's are different doesn't mean there cheaper. I just spent a day with an S430 and it is a worthy successor to my car, fast, looks awsome, expensive. It doesn't leak oil yet, but like any proper MB I'm sure it will soon.

The W140 S600 is nicer than my W126, I can see how they improved the ergonomics and the interior.
__________________
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
2007 Tiara 3200

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 05-08-2004, 11:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reno/Sparks, NV
Posts: 3,063
I don't think there's always a clear distinction between those who buy the cheapest cars they can find and wrench on them every day in their backyards and those who buy expensive, low-mile garage queens and rarely touch them. I'm one of those in between those two groups. I'm sort of a collector and I'm always keeping an eye out for well-maintained, pristine old diesels, but I also like to work on them to make sure they're in top shape mechanically too and not just cosmetically. Like I said I almost bought that $15K 83 240D last year, but one of the things that turned me off was a picture of the engine with a pitch-black brake fluid. What's the point of spending so much on a car that only looks good but has had crappy maintenance?
__________________
2004 VW Jetta TDI (manual)

Past MB's: '96 E300D, '83 240D, '82 300D, '87 300D, '87 420SEL
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 05-09-2004, 04:16 AM
wolf_walker's Avatar
Zen And The Art Of Diesel
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally posted by DieselAddict
I don't think there's always a clear distinction between those who buy the cheapest cars they can find and wrench on them every day in their backyards and those who buy expensive, low-mile garage queens and rarely touch them. I'm one of those in between those two groups. I'm sort of a collector and I'm always keeping an eye out for well-maintained, pristine old diesels, but I also like to work on them to make sure they're in top shape mechanically too and not just cosmetically. Like I said I almost bought that $15K 83 240D last year, but one of the things that turned me off was a picture of the engine with a pitch-black brake fluid. What's the point of spending so much on a car that only looks good but has had crappy maintenance?
There are always exceptions and grey areas. Today for instance, I saw in Greenville N.C. no less than 5 w123's two being wagons, an an older SL. The SL was spotless, the 123's were not ragged, but were obviously drivers. And the fact that they passed me without a second look speaks enough for there owners in my book.

And it's easier by way, way far, for me anyway, to fix mechanicals than cosmetics. Turning a car with a quarter million miles of dinged up, faded, bad trim, bad rubber body into a show winner WILL cost as much as a new OM617. I'd rather have a beautiful car and fix the mechanicals, I'm not a body man at all, but I can spin a wrench just dandy, profesionaly or personaly.
__________________
One more Radar Lover gone...
1982 VW Caddy diesel 402K 1.9L AAZ
1994 E320 175K
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-09-2004, 04:23 AM
wolf_walker's Avatar
Zen And The Art Of Diesel
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally posted by Hatterasguy
wolf_walker whats wrong with the new ones? I don't know much about the W123 but the W126's are no bargin. They all have stupid little problems, W126, W140, W220. I like them all and hope to move on up threw them as I can afford too. I will always have a W126 but just because the W220's are different doesn't mean there cheaper. I just spent a day with an S430 and it is a worthy successor to my car, fast, looks awsome, expensive. It doesn't leak oil yet, but like any proper MB I'm sure it will soon.

The W140 S600 is nicer than my W126, I can see how they improved the ergonomics and the interior.
It's personal preference mostly. You'll notice I never said they were crap outright, just not worth anything *to me*.
The increasing complexity, disposable nature, troublesome arangement, synthetic materials, and a number of other things put me out of the auto repair business about six years ago now.
I don't want to work on them or drive them. As a general rule, the more you complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain. And I have a hard time believeing any newer model will last like an old 123 or 126 will. Only time will tell, but can you see someone two decades from now trying to work on a new CDI? You'll have a car that has depreciated as much or more than the 126 but is next to imposible to work on for a DIY'er and likely has much higher parts cost. If your reasonably wealthy and don't want to have to lift the hood, have at it I guess. But there are other things I'd rather spend my money on.

Again, note I never said they were bad per say, just nothing I'm interisted in. You could buy a new vette for the same money and have better performance, excellent egronomics, and arguably a longer lived vehicle, with 20+mpg, and probibly a lot less depreciation. Totaly different vehicles, I know, but still...
__________________
One more Radar Lover gone...
1982 VW Caddy diesel 402K 1.9L AAZ
1994 E320 175K
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-09-2004, 05:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: United States
Posts: 66
BUT the car in question is 20 years old...the paint will not be "concours", the door panels will
be sagging, the carpet/dash/gauges/vinyl will be faded a bit or otherwise show some amount
of wear...

The ONLY thing this car has going for it is it's low mileage, but considering that 20 years
is 20 years, it's going to need the same amount of attention that a well cared for 150ker
would require, in order to bring it up to "show" quality.

Here's my thought:

Say you find a clean 123, in let's say Arizona or Vegas...and not somewhere coastal like NJ.

It has 80k miles, been well serviced/garaged, and it's white, original paint is in great condition.
(Being that white paint is probably going to stand up to 20 years better than anything metallic,
this is a plus for the sake of "originality".)

The asking price is a little high for a 123, say $6800, and even though the NADA says $4200 and
Kelly says about $2800, you talk the seller down to a slightly less outrageous $6200 and go for it,
being somewhat of a vintage diesel fanatic, and also recognizing the "true worth" of these vehicles no
matter what crappy 'ol Kelly says.

The car is reeeeally nice, but like any older car, it's getting a bit tired around the edges. You decide
you want it "perfect", or as close as humanly possible.

You replace the wood, dash, carpetting and front seat covers, overhaul anything worn in the
steering/suspension, along with any other "little" things the car may need.

Let's say this costs about $7500.

You've now spent less than 15k, and have a NICER car, both cosmetically and mechanically, than
what home-slice on ebay wants for 20k. For 20k to be an option, it would have to have more like
10k miles, in addition to being flawless otherwise. By this I mean the factory wax coating still all over
the engine bay, and not a gallon of Armor-All.

See what I mean yet??

Just for reference, 1984 300D:

NADA says between $3750 and $7100

Kelly says about $3000
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-09-2004, 05:42 AM
wolf_walker's Avatar
Zen And The Art Of Diesel
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oklahoma City
Posts: 2,046
Quote:
Originally posted by langpfeife
BUT the car in question is 20 years old...the paint will not be "concours", the door panels will
be sagging, the carpet/dash/gauges/vinyl will be faded a bit or otherwise show some amount
of wear...

The ONLY thing this car has going for it is it's low mileage, but considering that 20 years
is 20 years, it's going to need the same amount of attention that a well cared for 150ker
would require, in order to bring it up to "show" quality.

Mine has 256K on it and the palimino leather is not faded, nor is the carpet, the other common flaws in the interior are from a lack of upkeep, not age. It's amazing what not being out in the sun can do for an interior. I'm assuming these low mile high $$ cars are in better shape and don't have these common problems. Ditto the exterior. If mine can look as good as it does with over a quarter million miles and two decades of seldom being washed and the interior being only vacuumed out a few times a year if it was lucky, a low mile car really should not suffer much of these problems. Otherwise you don't know it's a low mile car or not. You can look at the steering wheel and brake pedal wear, but mine don't really look that bad either. I've seen tons of 90's model cars with a heck of a lot more interior and exterior wear.

In principle I agree though. I'm just working under the assumption that these low mile cars don't suffer from the same things every other older Mercedes does. I just can't tell from most of the photos, and I've never seen one in person.
The sun seems to hurt more than time does in these cars apearance wise. Even certain colors wear better.
__________________
One more Radar Lover gone...
1982 VW Caddy diesel 402K 1.9L AAZ
1994 E320 175K
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-09-2004, 07:08 PM
lietuviai's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SW WA
Posts: 5,741
I looked at some of the interior shots and I noticed that the seats have the same perforations that my MB-Tex interior does. In the listing the seller states leather. I didn't think that leather seats have the same perforations.
__________________
DJ


84 300D Turbodiesel 190K with 4 speed manual sold in 03/2012
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page