Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes ShopForum > Technical Information and Support > Diesel Discussion > Diesel Performance Tuning

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 01-05-2006, 05:03 PM
Hit Man X's Avatar
I LOVE BRUNETTES
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FUNKYTOWN
Posts: 8,908
Thumbs up

Looks like it is coming along quite well. I started measuring IC's a few days ago actually. I'm thinking about sticking it between the fan clutch and the radiator. There is nearly 3" of room behind the one on the SD and less on the SDL, but you can have a tall and wide core by doing it in that manner. It's my plan as of now.

For my life I can't recall what your car is doing 0-60mph now.

Also, have you considered making that socket? I'd pay for one...
__________________
I'm not a doctor, but I'll have a look.

'85 300SD
'87 300SDL
'89 300E
'90 300SEL
'91 560SEL

Eight others from IH, BMW, GM, Ford, and Volvo.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-05-2006, 09:26 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Looks like it is coming along quite well. I started measuring IC's a few days ago actually. I'm thinking about sticking it between the fan clutch and the radiator. There is nearly 3" of room behind the one on the SD and less on the SDL, but you can have a tall and wide core by doing it in that manner. It's my plan as of now.

For my life I can't recall what your car is doing 0-60mph now.

Also, have you considered making that socket? I'd pay for one...
Cut down a big old spark plug socket..thats what I did. Perfect size.
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-05-2006, 09:33 PM
Hit Man X's Avatar
I LOVE BRUNETTES
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FUNKYTOWN
Posts: 8,908
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheaddoctor
Cut down a big old spark plug socket..thats what I did. Perfect size.


Make me one. I pay $
__________________
I'm not a doctor, but I'll have a look.

'85 300SD
'87 300SDL
'89 300E
'90 300SEL
'91 560SEL

Eight others from IH, BMW, GM, Ford, and Volvo.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-05-2006, 09:37 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Make me one. I pay $
let me root around in my toolbox and I will do that.......I have a Spare IP on my workbench I can use to make sure its a perfect fit.....
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Hit Man X's Avatar
I LOVE BRUNETTES
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FUNKYTOWN
Posts: 8,908
Thumbs up

Sweet, continue this via PM.
__________________
I'm not a doctor, but I'll have a look.

'85 300SD
'87 300SDL
'89 300E
'90 300SEL
'91 560SEL

Eight others from IH, BMW, GM, Ford, and Volvo.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 18
Intercooler project

Brandon
Very interesting stuff... I'll be watching for the continuing saga.
One small point of interest, in your IP turn-up section, you refer to and show removing the vacuun shut down "pod" from the rear of the pump. Actually this is the idle speed controller. If you leave it disconnected, the engine will idle a little slower till it warms up and while the AC is pumping. Other than that it seems to serve no other purpose. The "brain box" that controled mine failed some years ago and I have never missed it. Plus it allowed me to strip off a whole bunch of other stuff that went with it. Discarding the Mass Airflow Sensor in the air cleaner housing especially made my car run better than it ever had.
John
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Brandon314159
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie43
Brandon
Very interesting stuff... I'll be watching for the continuing saga.
One small point of interest, in your IP turn-up section, you refer to and show removing the vacuun shut down "pod" from the rear of the pump. Actually this is the idle speed controller. If you leave it disconnected, the engine will idle a little slower till it warms up and while the AC is pumping. Other than that it seems to serve no other purpose. The "brain box" that controled mine failed some years ago and I have never missed it. Plus it allowed me to strip off a whole bunch of other stuff that went with it. Discarding the Mass Airflow Sensor in the air cleaner housing especially made my car run better than it ever had.
John
Sorry bud, you most likely have a different engine and a totally different injection pump.

That shutoff pod IS a shutoff pod...many here will verify that for you if you don't believe me. You are thinking of the Idle Speed Stabilizer on your, most likely, 300SDL or so?

Also you will notice my car does not have a mass airflow sensor, or any black box assocaited with the injection pump. Remember this is a 300SD...5 cylinder 617 turbo.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-06-2006, 10:15 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 18
Brandon,
Just trying to be helpful and compliment you on your research. Yes I have the same engine and pump '87 190DT. And yes you are mistaken about the function of what you call the rear pod. It fine tunes the idle under certain conditions but is not the shutdown.
John
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-06-2006, 10:26 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: West of Ft. Worth. TX
Posts: 3,934
Maybe this will verify what Brandon is talking about http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com/mercedesshop/sophio/quote.jsp?clientid=catalog.mercedesshop&cookieid=1OS1BWYAC1PC0M9LS3&baseurl=http://catalog.peachparts.com/&partner=mercedesshop&year=1984&product=D2020-11537&application=000004565
__________________
Sam

84 300SD 350K+ miles ( Blue Belle )
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-06-2006, 10:48 AM
H2O2's Avatar
Empty Vessel
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ladeluftkühlerstadt
Posts: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie43
Brandon,
Just trying to be helpful and compliment you on your research. Yes I have the same engine and pump '87 190DT. And yes you are mistaken about the function of what you call the rear pod. It fine tunes the idle under certain conditions but is not the shutdown.
John
Brandon is modifying an MW-type pump, found on OM61X engines here in North America, your pump is an M-type pump, which is found on OM60X. His rear pod is the fuel shutoff, and yours should either be an electric solenoid or vacuum pod, which stabilizes the idle.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-06-2006, 01:18 PM
Brandon314159
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie43
Brandon,
Just trying to be helpful and compliment you on your research. Yes I have the same engine and pump '87 190DT. And yes you are mistaken about the function of what you call the rear pod. It fine tunes the idle under certain conditions but is not the shutdown.
John
A 87 190D does not have the same pump as a 81 300SD...

Its a vac. powered shutdown solenoid...

And I appreciate your compliments...was just trying to let you know that my injection pump is significantly different. Hopefully the other posts here (look at the parts link) will show They are different.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-06-2006, 01:45 PM
87tdwagen's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sunny Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 421
Nice work brandon

I like the set-up that you have and curious as to your EGT drop. After adding my IC which is roughly the same size as yours to the 603, I have seen a steady 250 degree drop in EGT's throughout the range.

Even on maxing out the ALDA, there has been no EGT increase. Now it's time to go internal to the IP for full load, so that's where I'll be watching for temp creep.

Best of luck and keep us posted!
__________________
Stable Mates:
1994 E320 Cabriolet 80K mi (TBD)
1987 300TD 285K mi Intercooler (Hans)
1985 Jag XJS 119k mi 5-speed 178 mph (Evil Kitty)
1975 Corvette 4-speed 59k mi (Hot Lips)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Brandon314159
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87tdwagen
I like the set-up that you have and curious as to your EGT drop. After adding my IC which is roughly the same size as yours to the 603, I have seen a steady 250 degree drop in EGT's throughout the range.
Is your intercooler an air/air or is is air/water?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Hit Man X's Avatar
I LOVE BRUNETTES
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: FUNKYTOWN
Posts: 8,908
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87tdwagen
I like the set-up that you have and curious as to your EGT drop. After adding my IC which is roughly the same size as yours to the 603, I have seen a steady 250 degree drop in EGT's throughout the range.

Even on maxing out the ALDA, there has been no EGT increase. Now it's time to go internal to the IP for full load, so that's where I'll be watching for temp creep.

Best of luck and keep us posted!


If you find some info on cranking the 603s pump, I'm all ears also.
__________________
I'm not a doctor, but I'll have a look.

'85 300SD
'87 300SDL
'89 300E
'90 300SEL
'91 560SEL

Eight others from IH, BMW, GM, Ford, and Volvo.

Liberty will not descend to a people; a people must raise themselves to liberty.
[/IMG]
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-06-2006, 03:14 PM
87tdwagen's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sunny Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 421
my IC is an air to air IC same as gsxr's IC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon314159
Is your intercooler an air/air or is is air/water?

Thanks!
I use an air to air IC from a Saab just like gsxr's

Bill
__________________
Stable Mates:
1994 E320 Cabriolet 80K mi (TBD)
1987 300TD 285K mi Intercooler (Hans)
1985 Jag XJS 119k mi 5-speed 178 mph (Evil Kitty)
1975 Corvette 4-speed 59k mi (Hot Lips)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2011 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page