PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Events & Gatherings (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/events-gatherings/)
-   -   2010 Southern California GTG ideas, We need input! (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/events-gatherings/268636-2010-southern-california-gtg-ideas-we-need-input.html)

ROLLGUY 01-03-2010 11:13 PM

2010 Southern California GTG ideas, We need input!
 
My brother (imdji) and I would like to put on another GTG this year. We would like your input. Where would you like to start from? Where would you like to go? What would you like to do once you get there. We may do another Speedway cruise (the last one was a great success), or the Nethercutt Museum tour again. Those of you that missed either one of those, you really missed out. Either way, we will try to advertise several months before the event so folks can plan ahead. We would also like to see some vintage cars join us as well. These events are a lot of fun, and we like to see a variety of cars join us in the fun. Please post your thoughts here, or email Dennis @ igroupinc@yahoo.com

sd300td 01-14-2010 03:52 PM

I think the thing with the vintage cars/owners is that they might be hesitant to do the "drives". Maybe just plan a meet/greet at one destination? I like the drives but also realize that maybe some fintails, pontons, or ??? might be in attendance if there wasn't 4 plus hours of driving. I'd love to see a bunch of the older vintage cars personally.

How about something south of LA but north of SD? Or East of both? Maybe joshua tree, temecula, or cleveland national?

ROLLGUY 01-15-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd300td (Post 2382218)
I think the thing with the vintage cars/owners is that they might be hesitant to do the "drives". Maybe just plan a meet/greet at one destination? I like the drives but also realize that maybe some fintails, pontons, or ??? might be in attendance if there wasn't 4 plus hours of driving. I'd love to see a bunch of the older vintage cars personally.

How about something south of LA but north of SD? Or East of both? Maybe joshua tree, temecula, or cleveland national?

If I remember, there is a large car show in Temecula once a year, and maybe we can participate in that as a group. just need to find out when and who to talk to.

Skid Row Joe 01-15-2010 11:29 AM

There are five recommended core brand elements to keep in focus when planning a MB event of any type:

a. Contemporary
b. Quality
c. Inclusive
d. Expertise
e. Fun

Brainstorm on how to implement any or all of those core elements, and you'll be on the right track to a successful GTG.

ROLLGUY 01-15-2010 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe (Post 2382908)
There are five recommended core brand elements to keep in focus when planning a MB event of any type:

a. Contemporary
b. Quality
c. Inclusive
d. Expertise
e. Fun

Brainstorm on how to implement any or all of those core elements, and you'll be on the right track to a successful GTG.

We have put on several GTGs in the past, and have a pretty good idea about all of those elements (just ask any of the former attendees). We could just say we are going to a certain place at a certain time and date without any input from the forum members, but we just want to get some ideas about where some folks would like to go and what they would like to see at an event like this.

GWNorris3rd 02-05-2010 05:30 AM

How about a trip to the Mercedes Benz Classic Center in Irvine. They are normally closed on Saturdays, but are open by appointment? Then again the Speedway was a great time!

sd300td 02-05-2010 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROLLGUY (Post 2382878)
If I remember, there is a large car show in Temecula once a year, and maybe we can participate in that as a group. just need to find out when and who to talk to.

I did some poking around and the only thing I found was the Temecula "Rod Run", which is strictly a hot rodder thing for pre 1974 and earlier cars. Sounds fun, but not sure that its a good idea for our group.

sd300td 02-05-2010 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWNorris3rd (Post 2399084)
How about a trip to the Mercedes Benz Classic Center in Irvine. They are normally closed on Saturdays, but are open by appointment? Then again the Speedway was a great time!

We did that early last year. They opened the doors for us and let us snoop around. I can't go back there without sufficient funds needed to purchase windlace for four w123 wagon doors though.... :o

GWNorris3rd 02-07-2010 03:55 PM

Another road trip would be a trip on SR 74 from I-5 to Lake Elsinore (there a few wineries there), or the Palms to Pines section east of Hemet to Mountain Center then down the switchbacks to Palm Desert?

ROLLGUY 02-07-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWNorris3rd (Post 2400547)
Another road trip would be a trip on SR 74 from I-5 to Lake Elsinore (there a few wineries there), or the Palms to Pines section east of Hemet to Mountain Center then down the switchbacks to Palm Desert?

I have not done either, but they both sound like they would be best done in Spring.

Michael C 02-09-2010 06:15 PM

San Diego GTG
 
How about Stone Brewery in Escondido for a GTG. I'm sort of in agreement with the comment above about the owners of the older cars (Finnies, 113's) not wanting to do the long drives all over the place. Or maybe get a large detail shop like Lloyd's in Carlsbad to do a seminar. (I don't know, just throwing it out there).

Michael

91 R129
04 W203
70 W113
70 108 Limo
70 108 SEL

GWNorris3rd 02-09-2010 10:44 PM

Meguiar's in Irvine also does detail seminars for car clubs/groups, but Lloyd's in Carsbad would great, too!

Jim B. 02-10-2010 04:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWNorris3rd (Post 2400547)
Another road trip would be a trip on SR 74 from I-5 to Lake Elsinore (there a few wineries there), or the Palms to Pines section east of Hemet to Mountain Center then down the switchbacks to Palm Desert?

That sounds wonderful to me. I am the "long distance" attendee from Grass Valley (up north, towards Reno) and I have always enjoyed meeting you guys and going on the drives that were set up on here.

I would be willing to wait for spring - as ROLLGUY needs time to set them up, and even pre drives the routes !!! so his are the best organised Drives, I have been lucky enough to experience,
and they have given me the most wonderful appreciation of the Southern California area a Nor Cal personsuch as me, could ever hope to get.

The people who attend - are great,
too!!! Many of the attendees I have already met!!!

Toyota Speedway in Irwindale was the last one, and I had a blast!!!

Michael C 02-10-2010 11:37 AM

So. Cal GTG
 
Meguiar's would be good. Maybe meet early on a Saturday morning in N. County SD. Drive up to Cars & Coffee in Irvine, then over to Meguiar's. And for those that don't want to get up early can just meet up at Meguiar's. Maybe lunch in Newport, Irvine, Costa Mesta afterword.

Just throwing it out there.

Any get together would be great. Would love to get some older cars to attend.

vwnate1 02-10-2010 12:33 PM

Gathering Of The Faithful
 
Sounds like fun to me .

I'm in the L.A.Metro area and never seem to hear of anything here , everything is always South of us .

I don't mind driving my oldies that's what they're made for . if you don't like driving your Fintail , you need to sell it .

I drove my 300CD on the last TT Run and I routinely put my 1959 Metropolitan Nash through its paces far & wide .


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website