Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Mercedes-Benz Performance Paddock

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-02-2007, 02:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25
1993 E550 Rare??????????????

I purchased this car 2 months ago and I don't know muck about the history of E550. I know it very fast and a local shop owner told me the car was built by Porsche. I can't find any information about this model.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-02-2007, 02:56 PM
BioPOWER's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 527
A '93 would be a 500E, became the E500 for '94 and '95.
The M119 DOHC V8 was built by Mercedes, but the car was assembled by Porsche. Main way to pick out a 500E versus another W124 chassis are the 500's larger fender flares.
A few months ago "The Star" (magazine of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America) ran a feature article on a 500E/E500 (can't remeber which), it was quite good in describing what went into these cars.
__________________
99 E300 TD -- sold
01 540i 6 spd
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioPOWER View Post
A '93 would be a 500E, became the E500 for '94 and '95.
The M119 DOHC V8 was built by Mercedes, but the car was assembled by Porsche. Main way to pick out a 500E versus another W124 chassis are the 500's larger fender flares.
A few months ago "The Star" (magazine of the Mercedes-Benz Club of America) ran a feature article on a 500E/E500 (can't remeber which), it was quite good in describing what went into these cars.
The car has a E550 badge on it. You are correct about the fenders being flared. Do you know how many of these cars were made? The dealer said the car was called the Hammer in its day! It is a four door but will only seat 4 people.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-02-2007, 03:33 PM
POS's Avatar
POS POS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,506
Do a Google search on 1993 500e - there's lots and lots of literature out there. I have no idea why you have a 550 badge - MB never made a 550 anything.

Why did you buy it if you didn't know what it was? Just curious.
__________________
- Brian


1989 500SEL Euro
1966 250SE Cabriolet
1958 BMW Isetta 600
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-02-2007, 03:45 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25
I bought it because I liked it and nothing is wrong with the car it only has
80,000 miles on it. A lot people tell MB never made a E550 but I have one. I have a half dozen people wanting the car but it is just a fun car to drive and I don't want to part with it. I thought their might be someone on this site that could give me more information on it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Athens, Georgia
Posts: 149
Congratz on having a great and rare car!
But its still not an E550. People install badges that don't belong on their car....happens all the time. Kinda like how some people put S600 and v12 badges on their S320 to make it seem like they have more than they really do.

Your car most likely isn't a Hammer either. The Hammer is a different car with a different motor. I'm not too knowledgeable on the hammer though, but I'm sure someone else can chime in on this.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urquattro View Post
Congratz on having a great and rare car!
But its still not an E550. People install badges that don't belong on their car....happens all the time. Kinda like how some people put S600 and v12 badges on their S320 to make it seem like they have more than they really do.

Your car most likely isn't a Hammer either. The Hammer is a different car with a different motor. I'm not too knowledgeable on the hammer though, but I'm sure someone else can chime in on this.
You are correct about people changing the badges, but you can't change whats under the hood. It has a 5.5 liter engine in. I only heard the term "Hammer" used by a MB dealer who has been in business for 30 years.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-02-2007, 05:38 PM
t walgamuth's Avatar
dieselarchitect
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette Indiana
Posts: 34,597
do a search for hammer here.

there is a fellow in england with one iirc. he bought it with some kindof head problem and took his time but has it all fixed up now.

iirc it is an early version of the hammer and may be in fact a 5.5 liter motor too.

tom w
__________________
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25
I think the confusion here is on my part it is 550E not E550. Sorry.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Carson357's Avatar
www.stonebrew.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 1,116
no confusion, it as stated above is a mis badged E500 or 500E, the actual 550 model wasn't released until this decade, send me the vin number, i will send you a document showing it is a 500E or E500
__________________
1967 250 S
1967 280SE
1968 250S
1971 280 SE
1973 220
1974 280 S
1975 450 SEL
1976 220 D
1979 300SD
1983 300 SD
1985 230 TE euro
1986 280SL
1986 500 SEL euro
1986 190E 2.3
1990 300 SE
2003 C230 K
2004 C230 K
1987 560SEL
1987 300SDL now in canada
2005 C230
1998 C43 AMG Sold to DON
1993 190E 2.6
300TD Former daily driver Totaled
current:
R320 CDI
Ram 2500 Cummins
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-02-2007, 06:13 PM
BioPOWER's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Princeton, NJ
Posts: 527
The only "550s" I know of are MB's brand new V8-engined E, S, CL, CLS, CLK, and SL models with an all-new 5.5 liter DOHC engine. The 5.0 liter M119 that was in the W124 500E/E500 was also DOHC, but the engines are completely different.

Can you post a picture of the badge? If the "550E" badge is correct, it will be underlined, as all badges with the numbers before the letter were. If there is no underline, it is incorrect. When the letter comes BEFORE the numbers, there is no underline.

How did you find out that the motor is 5.5 liters instead of 5.0?
__________________
99 E300 TD -- sold
01 540i 6 spd
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-02-2007, 06:23 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25
MB dealers shop told me it was 5.5 or 5.6 liter engine and he said only a few of them made to US so I believe that it is a true Hammer. I did run across this:
Mercedes also included a sport version of the W124, the 500E, created in close cooperation with Porsche. Each 500E was hand-built by Porsche, being transported back and forth between the Mercedes plant and Porsche's Rossle-Bau plant in Zuffenhausen during assembly---taking a full 18 days to complete each model. Between 1991 and 1995, Mercedes/Porsche built a total of 10479 500Es. Of these, 1505 of the "super" sports sedans were imported into the USA between 1992-1994, or roughly 500 cars per year of importation. Called the 500E through model year 1993, in 1994 it was face-lifted along with the rest of the range and renamed the E500.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Carson357's Avatar
www.stonebrew.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego, California
Posts: 1,116
you asked and we are telling you your answer, it is not likely a hammer or an
E550. take it for what it is worth. probably just your average E500 or 500E, nothing wrong with that. still an excellent and somewhat rare car.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith1 View Post
MB dealers shop told me it was 5.5 or 5.6 liter engine and he said only a few of them made to US so I believe that it is a true Hammer. I did run across this:
Mercedes also included a sport version of the W124, the 500E, created in close cooperation with Porsche. Each 500E was hand-built by Porsche, being transported back and forth between the Mercedes plant and Porsche's Rossle-Bau plant in Zuffenhausen during assembly---taking a full 18 days to complete each model. Between 1991 and 1995, Mercedes/Porsche built a total of 10479 500Es. Of these, 1505 of the "super" sports sedans were imported into the USA between 1992-1994, or roughly 500 cars per year of importation. Called the 500E through model year 1993, in 1994 it was face-lifted along with the rest of the range and renamed the E500.
__________________
1967 250 S
1967 280SE
1968 250S
1971 280 SE
1973 220
1974 280 S
1975 450 SEL
1976 220 D
1979 300SD
1983 300 SD
1985 230 TE euro
1986 280SL
1986 500 SEL euro
1986 190E 2.3
1990 300 SE
2003 C230 K
2004 C230 K
1987 560SEL
1987 300SDL now in canada
2005 C230
1998 C43 AMG Sold to DON
1993 190E 2.6
300TD Former daily driver Totaled
current:
R320 CDI
Ram 2500 Cummins
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 25
Thank You.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: West Coast
Posts: 228
If it were a legitimate AMG Hammer, it could have a 5.6L m117 V8, but I guarantee the badging is custom...even if it does have a 5.whatever under the hood. Nobody ever made a 550e and the E550 (as was mentioned previously) is limited to the most recent production year of the w211 E-class. Still, congrats on the purchase....it being a 550 is a moot point because the w124 500E/E500 is still an incredible car (and quite fast, even by today's standards). Have fun with it!
__________________
1999 C43 AMG ~~~ 744 on black, mostly stock
1991 190e 2.6 ~~~ m117 5.6 project car
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page