PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum

PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/)
-   Mercedes-Benz Performance Paddock (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-benz-performance-paddock/)
-   -   E500 W124 performance mods (http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/mercedes-benz-performance-paddock/239201-e500-w124-performance-mods.html)

germancarfan1 12-01-2008 07:52 PM

E500 W124 performance mods
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hey all...first post here-spend time on the ferrari, porsche, and E9 BMW forums, but this is my first Mercedes purchase..a 1994 E500 for obvious reasons...have read every thread on performance options and would just like a recap from the experienced folks here..I believe I want to do the following based on previous threads:

Bergwerks first gear module
Time Valve Y pipe
1992 LH module
Eisemann or Remus muffler

couple questions...Time Valve doesn't seem to have a specific listing for the E500--just call them to order?

Is Bergwerks the best option regarding first gear start?

Exhaust has been hashed over before, but what is the "nuts" for a performance system...My Ferrari had several options--Ansa on the 330 and Lorini on the BBi--what does Mercedes have? any out of the box systems? The Porsche Twin has Fabspeed ordered off the net...don't see too many options for the E500 1994...

Not interested in internal engine mods till she blows, so just advice on everything short of that. appreciate everyones time..She'll be here in 4 days and want to get a head start on upgrading..

oh yes...chips available?? looking to do a total package--exhaust, chip, induction, 1st gear start..thanks to all in advance! newby Frank

300EVIL 12-01-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germancarfan1 (Post 2036202)
Hey all...first post here-spend time on the ferrari, porsche, and E9 BMW forums, but this is my first Mercedes purchase..a 1994 E500 for obvious reasons...have read every thread on performance options and would just like a recap from the experienced folks here..I believe I want to do the following based on previous threads:

Bergwerks first gear module
Time Valve Y pipe
1992 LH module
Eisemann or Remus muffler

couple questions...Time Valve doesn't seem to have a specific listing for the E500--just call them to order?

Is Bergwerks the best option regarding first gear start?

Exhaust has been hashed over before, but what is the "nuts" for a performance system...My Ferrari had several options--Ansa on the 330 and Lorini on the BBi--what does Mercedes have? any out of the box systems? The Porsche Twin has Fabspeed ordered off the net...don't see too many options for the E500 1994...

Not interested in internal engine mods till she blows, so just advice on everything short of that. appreciate everyones time..She'll be here in 4 days and want to get a head start on upgrading..

oh yes...chips available?? looking to do a total package--exhaust, chip, induction, 1st gear start..thanks to all in advance! newby Frank

Hey Frank!
Welcome to MercedesShop!

Looks like a good list to me. :D Don't forget the ASR defeat. I built my own unit. Their is a good thread on the subject in this forum. Just search "DIY ASR Defeat".

I'm pretty sure Bergwerks went out of business but their are DIY FGS controllers you can build if your good at soldering and programming PIC controllers. I know their is also a guy that sells a PC programmable FGS controllers for around $200. I'll see if I can find a link.

Good Luck!
Adam

germancarfan1 12-01-2008 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300EVIL (Post 2036237)
Hey Frank!
Welcome to MercedesShop!

Looks like a good list to me. :D Don't forget the ASR defeat. I built my own unit. Their is a good thread on the subject in this forum. Just search "DIY ASR Defeat".

I'm pretty sure Bergwerks went out of business but their are DIY FGS controllers you can build if your good at soldering and programming PIC controllers. I know their is also a guy that sells a PC programmable FGS controllers for around $200. I'll see if I can find a link.

Good Luck!
Adam

thanks Adam! saw the ASR defeat thread..that is a must as what 47 year old doesn't like to roast Pirellis on a daily basis? you would think a major reputable manufacturer would produce every needed product to get the most out of the "velvet hammer"...appreciate the info...can't wait to get her here! hopefully by Sat. or Sun.

jhodg5ck 12-01-2008 09:56 PM

Bergwerks first gear module
As mentioned by 300Evil, these are NLA, but the FGS module is for sale on ebay from time to time.. I'm pretty sure I have one sitting around in the shop somewhere.

Time Valve Y pipe
TV IMHO, Lacks in fit/finish which leads me to question functionality.

1992 LH module
These do help to the tune of a few HP @ WOT.

Eisemann or Remus muffler
Both are Overpriced IMHO. Any system you'll be putting together will be custom..I'd start by separating the system @ the down pipes, adding two high flow cats and depending oh just how Aggressive you want the note, run it w/ or w/o a resonator. I run magnaflow bits..they are stainless and use the Exact same technology that Remus and Eisemann use, ie straight through perforated pipe w/ fiberglass packing. Again, not rocket science so there is no good reason to pay up for Old School technology. MF also has a Wide assortment of tips available, or if you like one can always weld one who/what ever tips you like. Don't forget to integrate an X pipe (ideally w/ the O2 in said X pipe) along w/ a 2nd bung so you can tune w/ a wide band O2 sensor and air fuel ratio meter.

There are No bolt on kits.

Your M119 will likely never blow, so you'll be stock if that's the deciding factor..that aside, a 6L conversion is something we can do should you have interest. Couple that w/ stand alone fuel and spark, solid lifters, lightened/custom HC internals, cams etc, etc..and 450-500 NA HP isn't out of the question.

My only question to you is where you might be located?


Jonathan

germancarfan1 12-01-2008 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhodg5ck (Post 2036319)
Bergwerks first gear module
As mentioned by 300Evil, these are NLA, but the FGS module is for sale on ebay from time to time.. I'm pretty sure I have one sitting around in the shop somewhere.

Time Valve Y pipe
TV IMHO, Lacks in fit/finish which leads me to question functionality.

1992 LH module
These do help to the tune of a few HP @ WOT.

Eisemann or Remus muffler
Both are Overpriced IMHO. Any system you'll be putting together will be custom..I'd start by separating the system @ the down pipes, adding two high flow cats and depending oh just how Aggressive you want the note, run it w/ or w/o a resonator. I run magnaflow bits..they are stainless and use the Exact same technology that Remus and Eisemann use, ie straight through perforated pipe w/ fiberglass packing. Again, not rocket science so there is no good reason to pay up for Old School technology. MF also has a Wide assortment of tips available, or if you like one can always weld one who/what ever tips you like. Don't forget to integrate an X pipe (ideally w/ the O2 in said X pipe) along w/ a 2nd bung so you can tune w/ a wide band O2 sensor and air fuel ratio meter.

There are No bolt on kits.

Your M119 will likely never blow, so you'll be stock if that's the deciding factor..that aside, a 6L conversion is something we can do should you have interest. Couple that w/ stand alone fuel and spark, solid lifters, lightened/custom HC internals, cams etc, etc..and 450-500 NA HP isn't out of the question.

My only question to you is where you might be located?


Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan..a bit over my head regarding wide band O2 sensor and air fuel ratio meter--but basically it's custom fab with good ol' USA mufflers--high flow cats?? manufacturer?? or generic? gotcha on the y pipe and true dual system....probably no resonator...fgs module? not familiar...reputable? also magnaflow "bits" no savy/// oh yes, I'm in Big D.
How 'bout dem Cowboys?? We'll be welcoming Plaxico with open arms this week..he's our kind of guy.....

300EVIL 12-01-2008 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germancarfan1 (Post 2036242)
thanks Adam! saw the ASR defeat thread..that is a must as what 47 year old doesn't like to roast Pirellis on a daily basis?

Now you're talkin!!!! :D:D:D:D:D Even without roasting the tires, it's still worth getting rid of the "nanny warning triangle from hell". :D I know how to properly apply a gas pedal! :D

BTW, I have the Euro "S/W switch" on my 500E's shifter. It's nice to be able to switch back to 2nd gear start in wet conditions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by germancarfan1 (Post 2036242)
can't wait to get her here! hopefully by Sat. or Sun.

OMG! You don't even have it yet! :eek::eek: Please see a doctor to get something for anxiety! :D

300EVIL 12-01-2008 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhodg5ck (Post 2036319)
Eisemann or Remus muffler
Both are Overpriced IMHO. Any system you'll be putting together will be custom..I'd start by separating the system @ the down pipes, adding two high flow cats and depending oh just how Aggressive you want the note, run it w/ or w/o a resonator. I run magnaflow bits..they are stainless and use the Exact same technology that Remus and Eisemann use, ie straight through perforated pipe w/ fiberglass packing. Again, not rocket science so there is no good reason to pay up for Old School technology. MF also has a Wide assortment of tips available, or if you like one can always weld one who/what ever tips you like. Don't forget to integrate an X pipe (ideally w/ the O2 in said X pipe) along w/ a 2nd bung so you can tune w/ a wide band O2 sensor and air fuel ratio meter.

I absolutely agree.

jhodg5ck 12-01-2008 10:40 PM

No worries, the wideband a/f meter is the Best way to ensure you are getting the correct/ideal ratio @ all RPM's. With out it, one is just Guessing.

Magnaflow also makes metal substrate high flow cats which is what I run.

I typically keep the two in/two out muffler to retain the stock look..I don't like to have any tips sticking out, just slash cut and ideally hidden from sight whenever possible.

Andrey is the fellow w/ FGS modules..he can be found here:
http://www.fgsswitch.com/
We chat often, he's a good guy.

I hate to sound Utterly out of the loop, but I'm assuming you mean football cowboys..? I'm completely uninformed when it comes to team sports..however, if you want to chat World Rally, F1, Moto GP, WSBK just about any type of racing that turns Left and Right and I'm game;-)

Jonathan

germancarfan1 12-01-2008 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300EVIL (Post 2036374)
Now you're talkin!!!! :D:D:D:D:D Even without roasting the tires, it's still worth getting rid of the "nanny warning triangle from hell". :D I know how to properly apply a gas pedal! :D

BTW, I have the Euro "S/W switch" on my 500E's shifter. It's nice to be able to switch back to 2nd gear start in wet conditions.



OMG! You don't even have it yet! :eek::eek: Please see a doctor to get something for anxiety! :D

by all means...the 993 Twin, a Crown Reserve, and a Macanudo Hampton Court will help with the anxiety..but it still seems to me someone would offer a paint by number performance catalog for this fantastic example...instead, it seems we have to piecemeal performance mods together??? oh well, when in Rome.....

jhodg5ck 12-01-2008 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300evil (Post 2036380)
i absolutely agree.


:d:d:d

germancarfan1 12-01-2008 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhodg5ck (Post 2036385)
No worries, the wideband a/f meter is the Best way to ensure you are getting the correct/ideal ratio @ all RPM's. With out it, one is just Guessing.

Magnaflow also makes metal substrate high flow cats which is what I run.

I typically keep the two in/two out muffler to retain the stock look..I don't like to have any tips sticking out, just slash cut and ideally hidden from sight whenever possible.

Andrey is the fellow w/ FGS modules..he can be found here:
http://www.fgsswitch.com/
We chat often, he's a good guy.

I hate to sound Utterly out of the loop, but I'm assuming you mean football cowboys..? I'm completely uninformed when it comes to team sports..however, if you want to chat World Rally, F1, Moto GP, WSBK just about any type of racing that turns Left and Right and I'm game;-)

Jonathan

yes Johnathan...football..enjoy the open wheel circuit in particular.. I have a fantastic mechanic at Autoscope in Plano, TX that does all my German and British work...any details on the a/f meter that he might need to know? sorry for the ignorance here... but I can re-jet a Carter AFB!
will look up the magnaflow products....suppose the muffler shop can design the system with appropriate sizes? thanks for the help!

300EVIL 12-02-2008 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhodg5ck (Post 2036385)
Andrey is the fellow w/ FGS modules..he can be found here:
http://www.fgsswitch.com/
We chat often, he's a good guy.

Yep! that's the guy! :D

300EVIL 12-02-2008 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by germancarfan1 (Post 2036386)
by all means...the 993 Twin, a Crown Reserve, and a Macanudo Hampton Court will help with the anxiety..

LOL! Braggart Lucky Bastard! :D

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2075/...e6c149.jpg?v=0

Quote:

Originally Posted by germancarfan1 (Post 2036386)
when in Rome.....

......Find a quick route to the Autobahn! :D:D

Hey! Where are you anyway? Please say midwest! :D

Also, are those 2-piece monoblocks on your new ride? If so, I have the same rims! Tires are expensive as hell though. :o

I have 8.5 front 10 rear.

germancarfan1 12-02-2008 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 300EVIL (Post 2036503)
LOL! Braggart Lucky Bastard! :D

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2075/...e6c149.jpg?v=0



......Find a quick route to the Autobahn! :D:D

Hey! Where are you anyway? Please say midwest! :D

Also, are those 2-piece monoblocks on your new ride? If so, I have the same rims! Tires are expensive as hell though. :o

I have 8.5 front 10 rear.

Yep, 17"...don't know about width..I'm here in Dallas..what tires are you running?

2phast 12-02-2008 05:37 PM

Many of your questions are answered here

www.2phast.com/500e


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website