Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Mercedes-Benz Performance Paddock

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-01-2008, 07:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Plano, TX.
Posts: 19
Talking E500 W124 performance mods

Hey all...first post here-spend time on the ferrari, porsche, and E9 BMW forums, but this is my first Mercedes purchase..a 1994 E500 for obvious reasons...have read every thread on performance options and would just like a recap from the experienced folks here..I believe I want to do the following based on previous threads:

Bergwerks first gear module
Time Valve Y pipe
1992 LH module
Eisemann or Remus muffler

couple questions...Time Valve doesn't seem to have a specific listing for the E500--just call them to order?

Is Bergwerks the best option regarding first gear start?

Exhaust has been hashed over before, but what is the "nuts" for a performance system...My Ferrari had several options--Ansa on the 330 and Lorini on the BBi--what does Mercedes have? any out of the box systems? The Porsche Twin has Fabspeed ordered off the net...don't see too many options for the E500 1994...

Not interested in internal engine mods till she blows, so just advice on everything short of that. appreciate everyones time..She'll be here in 4 days and want to get a head start on upgrading..

oh yes...chips available?? looking to do a total package--exhaust, chip, induction, 1st gear start..thanks to all in advance! newby Frank
Attached Thumbnails
E500 W124 performance mods-045966.jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 PM
300EVIL's Avatar
Moderator Incarnate
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Lake Geneva, WI.
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by germancarfan1 View Post
Hey all...first post here-spend time on the ferrari, porsche, and E9 BMW forums, but this is my first Mercedes purchase..a 1994 E500 for obvious reasons...have read every thread on performance options and would just like a recap from the experienced folks here..I believe I want to do the following based on previous threads:

Bergwerks first gear module
Time Valve Y pipe
1992 LH module
Eisemann or Remus muffler

couple questions...Time Valve doesn't seem to have a specific listing for the E500--just call them to order?

Is Bergwerks the best option regarding first gear start?

Exhaust has been hashed over before, but what is the "nuts" for a performance system...My Ferrari had several options--Ansa on the 330 and Lorini on the BBi--what does Mercedes have? any out of the box systems? The Porsche Twin has Fabspeed ordered off the net...don't see too many options for the E500 1994...

Not interested in internal engine mods till she blows, so just advice on everything short of that. appreciate everyones time..She'll be here in 4 days and want to get a head start on upgrading..

oh yes...chips available?? looking to do a total package--exhaust, chip, induction, 1st gear start..thanks to all in advance! newby Frank
Hey Frank!
Welcome to MercedesShop!

Looks like a good list to me. Don't forget the ASR defeat. I built my own unit. Their is a good thread on the subject in this forum. Just search "DIY ASR Defeat".

I'm pretty sure Bergwerks went out of business but their are DIY FGS controllers you can build if your good at soldering and programming PIC controllers. I know their is also a guy that sells a PC programmable FGS controllers for around $200. I'll see if I can find a link.

Good Luck!
Adam
__________________
Current Stable:
01 ML55 AMG
92 500E (a few mods)
87 300E (lots of mods)
00 Chevy 3500HD Diesel Box Truck
68 18' Donzi Marine
06 GT i-Drive7 1.0 Mountain Bike (with GPS!)

PREVIOUSLY OWNED:83 300SD, 87 420SEL, 88 420SEL, 90 420SEL, 86 560SEL, 86 190E 2.3-16V AMG, 94 E320

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-01-2008, 08:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Plano, TX.
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
Hey Frank!
Welcome to MercedesShop!

Looks like a good list to me. Don't forget the ASR defeat. I built my own unit. Their is a good thread on the subject in this forum. Just search "DIY ASR Defeat".

I'm pretty sure Bergwerks went out of business but their are DIY FGS controllers you can build if your good at soldering and programming PIC controllers. I know their is also a guy that sells a PC programmable FGS controllers for around $200. I'll see if I can find a link.

Good Luck!
Adam
thanks Adam! saw the ASR defeat thread..that is a must as what 47 year old doesn't like to roast Pirellis on a daily basis? you would think a major reputable manufacturer would produce every needed product to get the most out of the "velvet hammer"...appreciate the info...can't wait to get her here! hopefully by Sat. or Sun.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-01-2008, 09:56 PM
jhodg5ck's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,405
Bergwerks first gear module
As mentioned by 300Evil, these are NLA, but the FGS module is for sale on ebay from time to time.. I'm pretty sure I have one sitting around in the shop somewhere.

Time Valve Y pipe
TV IMHO, Lacks in fit/finish which leads me to question functionality.

1992 LH module
These do help to the tune of a few HP @ WOT.

Eisemann or Remus muffler
Both are Overpriced IMHO. Any system you'll be putting together will be custom..I'd start by separating the system @ the down pipes, adding two high flow cats and depending oh just how Aggressive you want the note, run it w/ or w/o a resonator. I run magnaflow bits..they are stainless and use the Exact same technology that Remus and Eisemann use, ie straight through perforated pipe w/ fiberglass packing. Again, not rocket science so there is no good reason to pay up for Old School technology. MF also has a Wide assortment of tips available, or if you like one can always weld one who/what ever tips you like. Don't forget to integrate an X pipe (ideally w/ the O2 in said X pipe) along w/ a 2nd bung so you can tune w/ a wide band O2 sensor and air fuel ratio meter.

There are No bolt on kits.

Your M119 will likely never blow, so you'll be stock if that's the deciding factor..that aside, a 6L conversion is something we can do should you have interest. Couple that w/ stand alone fuel and spark, solid lifters, lightened/custom HC internals, cams etc, etc..and 450-500 NA HP isn't out of the question.

My only question to you is where you might be located?


Jonathan
__________________
Blue Ridge Mercedes
Jonathan Hodgman
http://www.blueridgemb.com/
Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.
Follow Us on Facebook!
Located in the Atlanta area
Specializing in all pre and post merger AMG's including Hammers and DOHC M117 engines.
Mercedes Repair Atlanta
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:21 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Plano, TX.
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
Bergwerks first gear module
As mentioned by 300Evil, these are NLA, but the FGS module is for sale on ebay from time to time.. I'm pretty sure I have one sitting around in the shop somewhere.

Time Valve Y pipe
TV IMHO, Lacks in fit/finish which leads me to question functionality.

1992 LH module
These do help to the tune of a few HP @ WOT.

Eisemann or Remus muffler
Both are Overpriced IMHO. Any system you'll be putting together will be custom..I'd start by separating the system @ the down pipes, adding two high flow cats and depending oh just how Aggressive you want the note, run it w/ or w/o a resonator. I run magnaflow bits..they are stainless and use the Exact same technology that Remus and Eisemann use, ie straight through perforated pipe w/ fiberglass packing. Again, not rocket science so there is no good reason to pay up for Old School technology. MF also has a Wide assortment of tips available, or if you like one can always weld one who/what ever tips you like. Don't forget to integrate an X pipe (ideally w/ the O2 in said X pipe) along w/ a 2nd bung so you can tune w/ a wide band O2 sensor and air fuel ratio meter.

There are No bolt on kits.

Your M119 will likely never blow, so you'll be stock if that's the deciding factor..that aside, a 6L conversion is something we can do should you have interest. Couple that w/ stand alone fuel and spark, solid lifters, lightened/custom HC internals, cams etc, etc..and 450-500 NA HP isn't out of the question.

My only question to you is where you might be located?


Jonathan
Thanks Jonathan..a bit over my head regarding wide band O2 sensor and air fuel ratio meter--but basically it's custom fab with good ol' USA mufflers--high flow cats?? manufacturer?? or generic? gotcha on the y pipe and true dual system....probably no resonator...fgs module? not familiar...reputable? also magnaflow "bits" no savy/// oh yes, I'm in Big D.
How 'bout dem Cowboys?? We'll be welcoming Plaxico with open arms this week..he's our kind of guy.....
__________________
'94 E500
'96 993TT
'04 RRover
'59 Corvette Roadster
'67 Hemi GTX
'66 330 GT 2+2
'84 512 BBi
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:30 PM
300EVIL's Avatar
Moderator Incarnate
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Lake Geneva, WI.
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by germancarfan1 View Post
thanks Adam! saw the ASR defeat thread..that is a must as what 47 year old doesn't like to roast Pirellis on a daily basis?
Now you're talkin!!!! Even without roasting the tires, it's still worth getting rid of the "nanny warning triangle from hell". I know how to properly apply a gas pedal!

BTW, I have the Euro "S/W switch" on my 500E's shifter. It's nice to be able to switch back to 2nd gear start in wet conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by germancarfan1 View Post
can't wait to get her here! hopefully by Sat. or Sun.
OMG! You don't even have it yet! Please see a doctor to get something for anxiety!
__________________
Current Stable:
01 ML55 AMG
92 500E (a few mods)
87 300E (lots of mods)
00 Chevy 3500HD Diesel Box Truck
68 18' Donzi Marine
06 GT i-Drive7 1.0 Mountain Bike (with GPS!)

PREVIOUSLY OWNED:83 300SD, 87 420SEL, 88 420SEL, 90 420SEL, 86 560SEL, 86 190E 2.3-16V AMG, 94 E320

Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:35 PM
300EVIL's Avatar
Moderator Incarnate
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Lake Geneva, WI.
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
Eisemann or Remus muffler
Both are Overpriced IMHO. Any system you'll be putting together will be custom..I'd start by separating the system @ the down pipes, adding two high flow cats and depending oh just how Aggressive you want the note, run it w/ or w/o a resonator. I run magnaflow bits..they are stainless and use the Exact same technology that Remus and Eisemann use, ie straight through perforated pipe w/ fiberglass packing. Again, not rocket science so there is no good reason to pay up for Old School technology. MF also has a Wide assortment of tips available, or if you like one can always weld one who/what ever tips you like. Don't forget to integrate an X pipe (ideally w/ the O2 in said X pipe) along w/ a 2nd bung so you can tune w/ a wide band O2 sensor and air fuel ratio meter.
I absolutely agree.
__________________
Current Stable:
01 ML55 AMG
92 500E (a few mods)
87 300E (lots of mods)
00 Chevy 3500HD Diesel Box Truck
68 18' Donzi Marine
06 GT i-Drive7 1.0 Mountain Bike (with GPS!)

PREVIOUSLY OWNED:83 300SD, 87 420SEL, 88 420SEL, 90 420SEL, 86 560SEL, 86 190E 2.3-16V AMG, 94 E320

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
jhodg5ck's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,405
No worries, the wideband a/f meter is the Best way to ensure you are getting the correct/ideal ratio @ all RPM's. With out it, one is just Guessing.

Magnaflow also makes metal substrate high flow cats which is what I run.

I typically keep the two in/two out muffler to retain the stock look..I don't like to have any tips sticking out, just slash cut and ideally hidden from sight whenever possible.

Andrey is the fellow w/ FGS modules..he can be found here:
http://www.fgsswitch.com/
We chat often, he's a good guy.

I hate to sound Utterly out of the loop, but I'm assuming you mean football cowboys..? I'm completely uninformed when it comes to team sports..however, if you want to chat World Rally, F1, Moto GP, WSBK just about any type of racing that turns Left and Right and I'm game;-)

Jonathan
__________________
Blue Ridge Mercedes
Jonathan Hodgman
http://www.blueridgemb.com/
Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.
Follow Us on Facebook!
Located in the Atlanta area
Specializing in all pre and post merger AMG's including Hammers and DOHC M117 engines.
Mercedes Repair Atlanta
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Plano, TX.
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
Now you're talkin!!!! Even without roasting the tires, it's still worth getting rid of the "nanny warning triangle from hell". I know how to properly apply a gas pedal!

BTW, I have the Euro "S/W switch" on my 500E's shifter. It's nice to be able to switch back to 2nd gear start in wet conditions.



OMG! You don't even have it yet! Please see a doctor to get something for anxiety!
by all means...the 993 Twin, a Crown Reserve, and a Macanudo Hampton Court will help with the anxiety..but it still seems to me someone would offer a paint by number performance catalog for this fantastic example...instead, it seems we have to piecemeal performance mods together??? oh well, when in Rome.....
__________________
'94 E500
'96 993TT
'04 RRover
'59 Corvette Roadster
'67 Hemi GTX
'66 330 GT 2+2
'84 512 BBi
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:41 PM
jhodg5ck's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,405
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300evil View Post
i absolutely agree.

:d:d:d
__________________
Blue Ridge Mercedes
Jonathan Hodgman
http://www.blueridgemb.com/
Enthusiast Service, Restoration & Tuning.
Follow Us on Facebook!
Located in the Atlanta area
Specializing in all pre and post merger AMG's including Hammers and DOHC M117 engines.
Mercedes Repair Atlanta
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Plano, TX.
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
No worries, the wideband a/f meter is the Best way to ensure you are getting the correct/ideal ratio @ all RPM's. With out it, one is just Guessing.

Magnaflow also makes metal substrate high flow cats which is what I run.

I typically keep the two in/two out muffler to retain the stock look..I don't like to have any tips sticking out, just slash cut and ideally hidden from sight whenever possible.

Andrey is the fellow w/ FGS modules..he can be found here:
http://www.fgsswitch.com/
We chat often, he's a good guy.

I hate to sound Utterly out of the loop, but I'm assuming you mean football cowboys..? I'm completely uninformed when it comes to team sports..however, if you want to chat World Rally, F1, Moto GP, WSBK just about any type of racing that turns Left and Right and I'm game;-)

Jonathan
yes Johnathan...football..enjoy the open wheel circuit in particular.. I have a fantastic mechanic at Autoscope in Plano, TX that does all my German and British work...any details on the a/f meter that he might need to know? sorry for the ignorance here... but I can re-jet a Carter AFB!
will look up the magnaflow products....suppose the muffler shop can design the system with appropriate sizes? thanks for the help!
__________________
'94 E500
'96 993TT
'04 RRover
'59 Corvette Roadster
'67 Hemi GTX
'66 330 GT 2+2
'84 512 BBi
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-02-2008, 12:46 AM
300EVIL's Avatar
Moderator Incarnate
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Lake Geneva, WI.
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodg5ck View Post
Andrey is the fellow w/ FGS modules..he can be found here:
http://www.fgsswitch.com/
We chat often, he's a good guy.
Yep! that's the guy!
__________________
Current Stable:
01 ML55 AMG
92 500E (a few mods)
87 300E (lots of mods)
00 Chevy 3500HD Diesel Box Truck
68 18' Donzi Marine
06 GT i-Drive7 1.0 Mountain Bike (with GPS!)

PREVIOUSLY OWNED:83 300SD, 87 420SEL, 88 420SEL, 90 420SEL, 86 560SEL, 86 190E 2.3-16V AMG, 94 E320

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-02-2008, 12:50 AM
300EVIL's Avatar
Moderator Incarnate
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Lake Geneva, WI.
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by germancarfan1 View Post
by all means...the 993 Twin, a Crown Reserve, and a Macanudo Hampton Court will help with the anxiety..
LOL! Braggart Lucky Bastard!



Quote:
Originally Posted by germancarfan1 View Post
when in Rome.....
......Find a quick route to the Autobahn!

Hey! Where are you anyway? Please say midwest!

Also, are those 2-piece monoblocks on your new ride? If so, I have the same rims! Tires are expensive as hell though.

I have 8.5 front 10 rear.
__________________
Current Stable:
01 ML55 AMG
92 500E (a few mods)
87 300E (lots of mods)
00 Chevy 3500HD Diesel Box Truck
68 18' Donzi Marine
06 GT i-Drive7 1.0 Mountain Bike (with GPS!)

PREVIOUSLY OWNED:83 300SD, 87 420SEL, 88 420SEL, 90 420SEL, 86 560SEL, 86 190E 2.3-16V AMG, 94 E320


Last edited by 300EVIL; 12-02-2008 at 01:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-02-2008, 07:06 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Plano, TX.
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300EVIL View Post
LOL! Braggart Lucky Bastard!





......Find a quick route to the Autobahn!

Hey! Where are you anyway? Please say midwest!

Also, are those 2-piece monoblocks on your new ride? If so, I have the same rims! Tires are expensive as hell though.

I have 8.5 front 10 rear.
Yep, 17"...don't know about width..I'm here in Dallas..what tires are you running?
__________________
'94 E500
'96 993TT
'04 RRover
'59 Corvette Roadster
'67 Hemi GTX
'66 330 GT 2+2
'84 512 BBi
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-02-2008, 05:37 PM
2phast's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 613
Many of your questions are answered here

www.2phast.com/500e
__________________
1993 500E
http://2phast.com/500e/500e-sig.jpg
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page