Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Mercedes-Benz Performance Paddock

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-09-2009, 06:56 PM
I often quote myself...
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NJ (Shore)
Posts: 219
W210 AMG Upgrades_Help

Hi,

I have a 2001 E55 AMG. I want to start looking at seriously improving the suspension.

Who is the best source for perf. packages for this car? I was looking at RennTech, but their website is not too informative.

* Also, what major difference would a Carbon Fiber Air Box make in my car?

Can any other W210 E55 owners direct me to good sources for great performance Mods?

Thank you very much,

Kieran-
__________________
Kieran K
Jersey Shore
1988 300CE (for sale, AUG. 2013)
1995 SL320 (88K) - terrific car
1983 300CD
-1993 400E (sold w/74k)
-1988 560SEL (sold w/49k)
- 1995 S420 (sold w/75k)
- 2005 E320 CDI (sold)
- 2007 E350 4M (sold)
- 1984 300D, sold w/305k, CA car, zero rust & over $12k invested
- 2001 E55 AMG (sold w/81k), I really miss it.
- 1982 300CD (sold, all stripped down)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2009, 07:03 PM
whipplem104's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: seattle
Posts: 1,171
There are not a lot of things out there for this. The main thing in the rear is you can put fully adjustable control arms by using heim joints. This stiffens the rear end up and provides adjustability. The front you could also replace the control arm bushings with custom solid urethane or delrin bushings depending on what you are looking for. Then springs and shocks are about it. Almost everything needs to be custom made. I did this for my w124 coupe. I have solid rear subframe mounts and some of the rear suspension bushings and sway bar bushings are solid delrin. Got rid of a lot of play.
Are you looking for track use?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2009, 09:55 PM
Bill Wood's Avatar
Retired Webmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Johns Creek, GA, USA
Posts: 5,013
Here's my $0.02

I used to own a 2001 CLK55 AMG. Basically the same engine you have but the W208 chassis instead of the W210.

There are some pics of the car in my gallery

I installed the Kleemann supercharger, chip, suspension and wheels. The suspension included springs, shocks and swaybar.

The car was an absolute rocket on the drag strip and road course.
550 HP of big bad beast!

Once you go down this road be aware there are hidden costs!
- the differential was destroyed from too much fun at the drag strip. (I replaced the diff and life was good again)
- the left side motor mount broke from excessive torque and allowed the engine to rotate within the engine bay enough to dent the hood. (I replaced the motor mount and installed a steel cable safety line to limit travel. Paintless dent repair fixed the hood)
- the Kleemann suspension has so much negative camber that I was always buying tires. The negative camber helps give you extra speed on the road course but, it eats tires on the street. Too many burnouts are tough on tires, too! (I installed K-Mac camber kits and that gave me more adjustment so I could run street or race settings).

My advice?
Unless you have serious money to spend ($25k - $50k), leave the car as is and enjoy it. A carbon fiber airbox is not going to do much of anything other than look nice. You CAN get serious performance from that E55 but, you'll have to put up with downsides that may be a pain. The stock E55 is a GREAT CAR as is.
__________________
Bill Wood - Retired Webmaster
My Personal Website
1998 Mercedes E430
2010 Toyota Sequoia
My Photo Albums
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-09-2009, 09:57 PM
I often quote myself...
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NJ (Shore)
Posts: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by whipplem104 View Post
There are not a lot of things out there for this. The main thing in the rear is you can put fully adjustable control arms by using heim joints. This stiffens the rear end up and provides adjustability. The front you could also replace the control arm bushings with custom solid urethane or delrin bushings depending on what you are looking for. Then springs and shocks are about it. Almost everything needs to be custom made. I did this for my w124 coupe. I have solid rear subframe mounts and some of the rear suspension bushings and sway bar bushings are solid delrin. Got rid of a lot of play.
Are you looking for track use?
Thanks for the great info; I am looking to keep it "Street," but I want to seriously upgrade & tighten the steering & suspension.
- Firm in handling / cornering
__________________
Kieran K
Jersey Shore
1988 300CE (for sale, AUG. 2013)
1995 SL320 (88K) - terrific car
1983 300CD
-1993 400E (sold w/74k)
-1988 560SEL (sold w/49k)
- 1995 S420 (sold w/75k)
- 2005 E320 CDI (sold)
- 2007 E350 4M (sold)
- 1984 300D, sold w/305k, CA car, zero rust & over $12k invested
- 2001 E55 AMG (sold w/81k), I really miss it.
- 1982 300CD (sold, all stripped down)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 AM
I often quote myself...
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NJ (Shore)
Posts: 219
Very Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
Here's my $0.02

I used to own a 2001 CLK55 AMG. Basically the same engine you have but the W208 chassis instead of the W210.

There are some pics of the car in my gallery

I installed the Kleemann supercharger, chip, suspension and wheels. The suspension included springs, shocks and swaybar.

The car was an absolute rocket on the drag strip and road course.
550 HP of big bad beast!

Once you go down this road be aware there are hidden costs!
- the differential was destroyed from too much fun at the drag strip. (I replaced the diff and life was good again)
- the left side motor mount broke from excessive torque and allowed the engine to rotate within the engine bay enough to dent the hood. (I replaced the motor mount and installed a steel cable safety line to limit travel. Paintless dent repair fixed the hood)
- the Kleemann suspension has so much negative camber that I was always buying tires. The negative camber helps give you extra speed on the road course but, it eats tires on the street. Too many burnouts are tough on tires, too! (I installed K-Mac camber kits and that gave me more adjustment so I could run street or race settings).

My advice?
Unless you have serious money to spend ($25k - $50k), leave the car as is and enjoy it. A carbon fiber airbox is not going to do much of anything other than look nice. You CAN get serious performance from that E55 but, you'll have to put up with downsides that may be a pain. The stock E55 is a GREAT CAR as is.
VERY VERY nice!
The suspension is what I am really interested in. I want to improve the bit of body roll & maybe tighten up the steering.
Thank you for the great info.
__________________
Kieran K
Jersey Shore
1988 300CE (for sale, AUG. 2013)
1995 SL320 (88K) - terrific car
1983 300CD
-1993 400E (sold w/74k)
-1988 560SEL (sold w/49k)
- 1995 S420 (sold w/75k)
- 2005 E320 CDI (sold)
- 2007 E350 4M (sold)
- 1984 300D, sold w/305k, CA car, zero rust & over $12k invested
- 2001 E55 AMG (sold w/81k), I really miss it.
- 1982 300CD (sold, all stripped down)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Johnhef's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Frederick, Md
Posts: 4,540
Nice car Bill, a friend near me here has an 01 CLK55 with all the Kleeman stuff too and had their diff, but now I believe he put a quaife in it. He was breaking axles. That supercharger really packs a punch! nothing like laying into that pedal and having it shove you into your seat!

What did yours run at the track? Last November he got his fastest yet- an 11.09 @ 124.570



__________________


1980 500SE/AMG Euro
1981 500SEL Euro
1982 380SEL
1983 300TD
1983 500SEC/AMG Euro
1984 500SEC
1984 300TD Euro
1986 190E 2.3-16
1986 190E 2.3
1987 300D
1997 C36 AMG
2003 C320T 4matic

past: 1969 280SE 4.5 | 1978 240D | 1978 300D | 1981 300SD | 1981 300SD | 1982 300CD | 1983 300CD | 1983 300SD | 1983 380SEC | 1984 300D | 1984 300D | 1984 300TD | 1984 500SEL | 1984 300SD | 1985 300D | 1986 300E | 1986 560SEL | 1986 560SEL/Carat | 1987 560SEC | 1991 300D 2.5 | 2006 R350

Last edited by Johnhef; 01-10-2009 at 11:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-10-2009, 02:34 PM
Bill Wood's Avatar
Retired Webmaster
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Johns Creek, GA, USA
Posts: 5,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhef View Post
What did yours run at the track? Last November he got his fastest yet- an 11.09 @ 124.570
I never broke into the 11's in my car. The main problem was finding wheels and tires that would allow me to put the power down. You can't buy wide drag slicks in a size that fits these cars. I did mostly road courses and my race tires were great for that but not great on the drag strip.

We built a C Class with a 55 engine and Kleemann supercharger that got into the low 11's. We wanted to get into the 10's so we added nitrous. Bad move! We ended up cracking 2 pistons. This car was a lot more radical than my CLK.

Here's a pic of the C55K. You can just see the front of my CLK55K coming into the left of the image. Look at the expression on the guy's face at the starting line. That's priceless! He's not expecting a Mercedes to launch like that.
Attached Thumbnails
W210 AMG Upgrades_Help-c55_2.jpg  
__________________
Bill Wood - Retired Webmaster
My Personal Website
1998 Mercedes E430
2010 Toyota Sequoia
My Photo Albums
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Johnhef's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Frederick, Md
Posts: 4,540
haha! awesome!

His CLK actually does have nitrous too, but he didn't use it that day, the bottle wasn't even in the car.
__________________


1980 500SE/AMG Euro
1981 500SEL Euro
1982 380SEL
1983 300TD
1983 500SEC/AMG Euro
1984 500SEC
1984 300TD Euro
1986 190E 2.3-16
1986 190E 2.3
1987 300D
1997 C36 AMG
2003 C320T 4matic

past: 1969 280SE 4.5 | 1978 240D | 1978 300D | 1981 300SD | 1981 300SD | 1982 300CD | 1983 300CD | 1983 300SD | 1983 380SEC | 1984 300D | 1984 300D | 1984 300TD | 1984 500SEL | 1984 300SD | 1985 300D | 1986 300E | 1986 560SEL | 1986 560SEL/Carat | 1987 560SEC | 1991 300D 2.5 | 2006 R350
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-10-2009, 07:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster View Post
Here's my $0.02

I used to own a 2001 CLK55 AMG. Basically the same engine you have but the W208 chassis instead of the W210.

There are some pics of the car in my gallery

I installed the Kleemann supercharger, chip, suspension and wheels. The suspension included springs, shocks and swaybar.

The car was an absolute rocket on the drag strip and road course.
550 HP of big bad beast!

Once you go down this road be aware there are hidden costs!
- the differential was destroyed from too much fun at the drag strip. (I replaced the diff and life was good again)
- the left side motor mount broke from excessive torque and allowed the engine to rotate within the engine bay enough to dent the hood. (I replaced the motor mount and installed a steel cable safety line to limit travel. Paintless dent repair fixed the hood)
- the Kleemann suspension has so much negative camber that I was always buying tires. The negative camber helps give you extra speed on the road course but, it eats tires on the street. Too many burnouts are tough on tires, too! (I installed K-Mac camber kits and that gave me more adjustment so I could run street or race settings).

My advice?
Unless you have serious money to spend ($25k - $50k), leave the car as is and enjoy it. A carbon fiber airbox is not going to do much of anything other than look nice. You CAN get serious performance from that E55 but, you'll have to put up with downsides that may be a pain. The stock E55 is a GREAT CAR as is.
Bill,

Extremely valuable advice - thank you for the informative post.

For the O.P. - Check to see if K2 suspension has an application for the W210/55. There is one for the W208, but as Bill noted, you may see significantly increased tire wear.

Another option is to order a set of euro-spec springs. I've got them on my CLK55 and the difference is noticed. I DON'T HAVE ANY ADVERSE CAMBER WEAR either - I'm running stock dampers and sway bars with polyurethane LCA bushings.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-10-2009, 08:07 PM
wis's Avatar
wis wis is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 201
i put bilstein sports and h&r springs on my car, no adverse tire wear and great cornering fo a street car, very reasonable cost as well. my 210 is not a amg though
__________________
97 e320 200k!

85 300sd

96 c280 sport for parts! pm your needs
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-10-2009, 08:31 PM
I often quote myself...
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NJ (Shore)
Posts: 219
Kleemann

Quote:
Originally Posted by el presidente View Post
Bill,

Extremely valuable advice - thank you for the informative post.

For the O.P. - Check to see if K2 suspension has an application for the W210/55. There is one for the W208, but as Bill noted, you may see significantly increased tire wear.

Another option is to order a set of euro-spec springs. I've got them on my CLK55 and the difference is noticed. I DON'T HAVE ANY ADVERSE CAMBER WEAR either - I'm running stock dampers and sway bars with polyurethane LCA bushings.

Good luck!
Hi,

I assume "K2" is KLEEMANN...?
I see that they do have kit for the W210.
Has anyone done anything with RennTech (within reason)?

I am actively looking into the Kleemann stuff. I am not looking for radical, just a high quality upgrade. So far, it looks like Kleemann.

Sincere thanks & best regards,

Kieran-
__________________
Kieran K
Jersey Shore
1988 300CE (for sale, AUG. 2013)
1995 SL320 (88K) - terrific car
1983 300CD
-1993 400E (sold w/74k)
-1988 560SEL (sold w/49k)
- 1995 S420 (sold w/75k)
- 2005 E320 CDI (sold)
- 2007 E350 4M (sold)
- 1984 300D, sold w/305k, CA car, zero rust & over $12k invested
- 2001 E55 AMG (sold w/81k), I really miss it.
- 1982 300CD (sold, all stripped down)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-11-2009, 08:55 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieran1 View Post
Hi,

I assume "K2" is KLEEMANN...?
I see that they do have kit for the W210.
Has anyone done anything with RennTech (within reason)?

I am actively looking into the Kleemann stuff. I am not looking for radical, just a high quality upgrade. So far, it looks like Kleemann.

Sincere thanks & best regards,

Kieran-
My apologies....I meant to type KW suspension. Made in Germany - quality stuff from the feedback I've seen.

They make a 'V2' or Version 2 coilover setup for the W208. Google for their website.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page