Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > Mercedes-Benz SL Discussion Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-07-2006, 08:57 PM
iwrock's Avatar
roflmonster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hella NorCal
Posts: 3,301
Roncallo - Sorry I haven't been able to look at the dimensions. I have been quite busy with my business. This weekend, we have to do the brakes on the SL, so when it is up on jacks, I will measure it for you.
__________________
-Justin

07 MB ML320 CDI
12 Trek 2.1 Triple
16 Nike Free 4.0

it's automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-08-2006, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 5,316
I consider myself on the lunatic fringe of doing stuff like this.

But I have gotta say, for a tiny fraction of the time and cost, you could exploit the cubic inches of the 560 engine, or find an AMG engine of the same basic type.

I hope you try it and I look forward to reading the posts on it. But you are dealing with an engine that even very experienced techs find challenging in a production car.
__________________
Chuck Taylor
Falls Church VA
'66 200, '66 230SL, '96 SL500. Sold: '81 380SL, '86 300E, '72 250C, '95 C220, 3 '84 280SL's '90 420SEL, '72 280SE, '73 280C, '78 280SE, '70 280SL, '77 450SL, '85 380SL, '87 560SL, '85 380SL, '72 350SL, '96 S500 Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-08-2006, 12:26 PM
88Black560SL
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 2,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaylor738
I consider myself on the lunatic fringe of doing stuff like this.

But I have gotta say, for a tiny fraction of the time and cost, you could exploit the cubic inches of the 560 engine, or find an AMG engine of the same basic type.

I hope you try it and I look forward to reading the posts on it. But you are dealing with an engine that even very experienced techs find challenging in a production car.

I already have a 560SL.

I did find an AMG 55 engine on ebay for 15K. It was nice, and it would be even faster, but it just doesnt have 12 clyinders. Now an AMG 65 engine????

J. Roncallo
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-08-2006, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Falls Church, VA
Posts: 5,316
I hear you. One of the best days I ever had was driving a Ferrari 330GT.

But unless you can weld and fabricate stuff yourself, you will be north of 50 large by the time you get this done. For that you could get a BMW 850 and an SL 600 and have an instant V12 collection.
__________________
Chuck Taylor
Falls Church VA
'66 200, '66 230SL, '96 SL500. Sold: '81 380SL, '86 300E, '72 250C, '95 C220, 3 '84 280SL's '90 420SEL, '72 280SE, '73 280C, '78 280SE, '70 280SL, '77 450SL, '85 380SL, '87 560SL, '85 380SL, '72 350SL, '96 S500 Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-08-2006, 07:33 PM
88Black560SL
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 2,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaylor738
I hear you. One of the best days I ever had was driving a Ferrari 330GT.

But unless you can weld and fabricate stuff yourself, you will be north of 50 large by the time you get this done. For that you could get a BMW 850 and an SL 600 and have an instant V12 collection.
Got TIG and Stick welding capability. Bridgeport Milling Machine and Logan Lathe

John Roncallo
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Master Guild Tech
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: cleveland,ohio
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncallo
Where can you actually look up the weight of an engine.

John Roncallo

Sorry, John- was crazy this week and I actually forgot to get the weights for you- the weights are usually listed in the intro manuals and the TDMs (MB hymn books). I will get the weights next week for you.
You mentioned the 65 in another post- there would be another way - the V12s have been shrinking, but the turbos might be an issue- it adds a little size around the mid-belt area, where the 107 has little to spare.
I get your feeling for the V12s, but honestly, it depends on what you want to feel- the 55 is a jack rabbit, the 65 is a smoother, more torque feel- even in a 230 chassis- the 55 just feels faster, and wayyy more driveable when even turns ,etc. - the V12 just seems to add too much weight to the front end.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-10-2006, 11:20 PM
88Black560SL
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 2,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBtech21
Sorry, John- was crazy this week and I actually forgot to get the weights for you- the weights are usually listed in the intro manuals and the TDMs (MB hymn books). I will get the weights next week for you.
You mentioned the 65 in another post- there would be another way - the V12s have been shrinking, but the turbos might be an issue- it adds a little size around the mid-belt area, where the 107 has little to spare.
I get your feeling for the V12s, but honestly, it depends on what you want to feel- the 55 is a jack rabbit, the 65 is a smoother, more torque feel- even in a 230 chassis- the 55 just feels faster, and wayyy more driveable when even turns ,etc. - the V12 just seems to add too much weight to the front end.
Considering the actual engines I can afford to purchase, especially since I would essentially need to purchase a car with a running engine (preferably a rear end total) to be gauranteed to get all the wiring, computers sensors etc. I am probably only realistically able to swing an M120. That should keep the drivability issues to within reason. I could probably still get away with the 107 rear end. Once I start going to some of the later engines I would have to reconsider the rear end.

John Roncallo
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-30-2006, 11:59 PM
iwrock's Avatar
roflmonster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hella NorCal
Posts: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncallo
Justin

May I ask a favor. The next time you are under or on top of your car, can you get me some approximate dimensions.

1) Length of engine from nose of water pump the back of engine (where the bell housing mounts)

2) Back of engine to where the oil pan sump starts.

3) Back of engine to where the oil pan sump ends.

4) Oil pan sump height

5) Width of engine exhaust manifold to exhaust manifold.

6) Height of engine Bottom of sump to top of intake manifold.

John Roncallo

1)32.5 inches
2)6 inches
3)16 inches
4)4 inches (about)
5)28 inches
6)26 inches

Hope that helps. Been really busy.
__________________
-Justin

07 MB ML320 CDI
12 Trek 2.1 Triple
16 Nike Free 4.0

it's automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-31-2006, 03:11 AM
Karsten
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 118
I have a rust free W107 450SLC parts car which I eventually may do some crazy project with, so I'm quite interested in your project

However looking down the engine compartment of my 500SLC, there ain't a lot of clearance anywhere....

I have been thinking about the M119 since it is based on the M117, but I doubt there is space for the bigger heads. The V12 might be less wide but I doubt it. To overcome the width problem it would probably be required to place the car in a jig and redo the structural parts of the front.

In your case, why not go for a 560 euro spec engine, this one will give you 300 HP. It will however not give you much more torque.

Looking forward to your findings

Karsten
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-31-2006, 07:04 AM
88Black560SL
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 2,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinwrock
1)32.5 inches
2)6 inches
3)16 inches
4)4 inches (about)
5)28 inches
6)26 inches

Hope that helps. Been really busy.
Thank You Justin

So far it looks like #5 will be a challenge. Also there are two oil pans for this engine a front and mid sump. It appears you have the mid sump, which I dont belive I can use. I will have to find which cars have the front sump. I will be looking into it closely.

John Roncallo
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-31-2006, 09:06 AM
Karsten
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 118
Here are pictures of some modified W107: http://www.foro.pieldetoro.net/web/MERCEDES/dossier.php?ID=5

The M100 engine swap is possible, i know. There are also a pictures of a special AMG version, I can't really see which engine this is?





Karsten
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-31-2006, 11:48 AM
iwrock's Avatar
roflmonster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hella NorCal
Posts: 3,301
I will take some pictures in a day or so. Those are just guestimates, and they might be different. I will take some pictures, and add the measurements to them so you can see them first hand.
__________________
-Justin

07 MB ML320 CDI
12 Trek 2.1 Triple
16 Nike Free 4.0

it's automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-31-2006, 07:35 PM
88Black560SL
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 2,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinwrock
I will take some pictures in a day or so. Those are just guestimates, and they might be different. I will take some pictures, and add the measurements to them so you can see them first hand.
Very much appriciated Justin. With any luck I will have a 107 chassi this weekend.

Thank You
John Roncallo
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-01-2006, 01:01 AM
iwrock's Avatar
roflmonster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hella NorCal
Posts: 3,301
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncallo
Very much appriciated Justin. With any luck I will have a 107 chassi this weekend.

Thank You
John Roncallo
I wish you good luck. Hopefully, you get that chassis so you can get that monster project underway.

PS, when you have time to come out to the west coast, I will make sure my pops lets you drive his "private stock" car when you are out here. It is more of a headturner than it is fast, but shes sweet. (Its an italian stallion)

But she is going to go byebye soon... Bad fuel economy, and hell to insure.
__________________
-Justin

07 MB ML320 CDI
12 Trek 2.1 Triple
16 Nike Free 4.0

it's automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-01-2006, 06:04 AM
88Black560SL
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 2,863
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinwrock
I wish you good luck. Hopefully, you get that chassis so you can get that monster project underway.

PS, when you have time to come out to the west coast, I will make sure my pops lets you drive his "private stock" car when you are out here. It is more of a headturner than it is fast, but shes sweet. (Its an italian stallion)

But she is going to go byebye soon... Bad fuel economy, and hell to insure.
Are we talking about a Ferrari or a Benz, I will find to some business excuse to go out west.

John Roncallo
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page