Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Regional Forums > Middle Atlantic - US (DC,DE,MD,PA,VA,WV)

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,956
Anyone in Pittsburgh to assist in a PPI?

Any board members out there who can save me a trip to look at a car in Pittsburgh? Maybe even drive it to NH? It is a 1979 300SD. PM me directly if you can help!
__________________
Marty D.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz

Last edited by nhdoc; 10-10-2007 at 04:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-10-2007, 07:13 PM
RML RML is offline
Out of Garage Space
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 1,024
I am just north of Pgh and would be glad to help if I can. I also called a local guy recently who was advertising an 85 300SD with about 275K on it. I talked to him on the phone about a week ago but I do not have the room, time or money for another car now. Maybe it would be of interest to you as well. I'll PM you.

Richard
__________________
85 300D 72K Anthracite Grey (Rutherford) 0-60 in 13 seconds
84 300D 331K Black (Rufus) 0-60 in 14 seconds (adjusted the ALDA)
00 Toyota Sienna 208K (Sold)
15 Subaru Outback 22K
98 Ford Taurus 62K (Gertie - Was Grandma's - drove it to church and shopping - really) Daughter's car now.
30 Model A Ford 2 Door Sedan (Sold) 0-60 in . . . Never reached 60
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-10-2007, 09:40 PM
darkman's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 118
Not in Pittsburgh

Hi,
I'm not in the 'Burgh right now... Would be glad to help if I could.

Thanks for stopping by my site.
__________________
k. darkman
1987 300D Turbo 200k
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-16-2007, 07:12 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,956
I am off in the a.m. to pick up my "new" W116. It's been pre-screened by one of our very helpful board members (thanks RML!) who declared it to be in "pristine, near showroom condition" so I will fly in and pick it up in the afternoon, have it checked and minor service done at his local mechanic's shop and hit the road on Thursday morning back to NH...with any luck I'll be back in time for dinner. Here's its listing for anyone interested in seeing it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=320165931507

A one owner car with at least some service records and looks from the photos to be quite original...right down to the radio.
__________________
Marty D.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz

Last edited by nhdoc; 10-16-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 PM
RML RML is offline
Out of Garage Space
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 1,024
Marty:

Did I forget to tell you it doesn't have an engine? Woops!!

Richard
__________________
85 300D 72K Anthracite Grey (Rutherford) 0-60 in 13 seconds
84 300D 331K Black (Rufus) 0-60 in 14 seconds (adjusted the ALDA)
00 Toyota Sienna 208K (Sold)
15 Subaru Outback 22K
98 Ford Taurus 62K (Gertie - Was Grandma's - drove it to church and shopping - really) Daughter's car now.
30 Model A Ford 2 Door Sedan (Sold) 0-60 in . . . Never reached 60
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-16-2007, 09:00 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by RML View Post
Marty:

Did I forget to tell you it doesn't have an engine? Woops!!

Richard
No Biggie...I think I know where to find one close by...in YOUR driveway
__________________
Marty D.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-16-2007, 09:39 PM
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Southern California, U.S.A.
Posts: 8,538
Looks like a beautiful car. I have always been a fan of the W116 chassis.
__________________
Paul S.

2001 E430, Bourdeaux Red, Oyster interior.
79,200 miles.

1973 280SE 4.5, 170,000 miles. 568 Signal Red, Black MB Tex. "The Red Baron".
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-16-2007, 09:49 PM
funola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,147
nhdoc, Looks like a clean car and a good deal. Wonder why it only received 2 bids? Is it because the seller has zero feedback?

Also like to know (if you're willing to discuss) how you did the paperwork buying a car out of state and driving it back ($transaction/regi/ insurance etc).

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdoc View Post
I am off in the a.m. to pick up my "new" W116. It's been pre-screened by one of our very helpful board members (thanks RML!) who declared it to be in "pristine, near showroom condition" so I will fly in and pick it up in the afternoon, have it checked and minor service done at his local mechanic's shop and hit the road on Thursday morning back to NH...with any luck I'll be back in time for dinner. Here's its listing for anyone interested in seeing it:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&viewitem=&item=320165931507

A one owner car with at least some service records and looks from the photos to be quite original...right down to the radio.
__________________
85 300D turbo pristine w 157k when purchased 161K now
83 300 D turbo 297K runs great. SOLD!
83 240D 4 spd manual- parted out then junked
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-16-2007, 09:56 PM
pizzachef's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Cumberland, PA
Posts: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
nhdoc, Looks like a clean car and a good deal.
Also like to know (if you're willing to discuss) how you did the paperwork buying a car out of state and driving it back ($transaction/regi/ insurance etc).
Good luck!
I got my wagon off ebay from a mechanic in Delaware who buys/fixes up/sells german cars. He had a dealers liscense and could give me a temporary tag...that was convenient.

Then I sold my other car to a guy in Maryland, and he borrowed my liscense plate and registration to drive the car back and get it inspected/registered. Don't know how safe that would be with someone you don't know, but he had his own insurance...there probably would have been some kind of hassle though if something would have happened on his way home.
-Geoff
__________________
1985 300TD-euro 352,000 mi
1974 240D (1?)52,000 mi - has a new home now
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
nhdoc, Looks like a clean car and a good deal. Wonder why it only received 2 bids? Is it because the seller has zero feedback?

Also like to know (if you're willing to discuss) how you did the paperwork buying a car out of state and driving it back ($transaction/regi/ insurance etc).

Good luck!
I think you hit the nail on the head...zero feedback seller, no details in the listing and mediocre photos. All add up to more trouble than it is worth for most bidder. But I had seen this car in Hemmings and spoke with the seller so I knew a bit more about it than most bidders did.

As for the process, I simply bring cash and a set of valid plates off one of my other cars, pay the seller and have him sign the title, mount the plates and drive off. No muss no fuss. I'll register it once I get home. Never been caught (yet) and drive with a light pedal so as to minimize the risk. I carry the signed title and the registration that matches the plates just in case so I can explain that the plates are mine and valid, just not for this particular car. If I wanted to go the extra mile I'd get a temp plate from the state which they will provide with a bill of sale but I find this works best for me. I generally don't pay for a car until I have seen it so I can't register it before I go to pick it up.

Insurance is automatic once I buy a car I have 30 days coverage but in most cases I simply notify the insurance company of my plans and they add the car the day I pick it up.
__________________
Marty D.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-16-2007, 10:44 PM
funola's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: NYC
Posts: 8,147
I have done that many times in the past and got stopped once in a real beater of a VW bus. This was many years ago and I was lucky that time. I explained to the state trooper exactly what I was doing and he let me go. Told me to get off the first exit and get it towed. I got off the exit, waited a while and took another chance and drove home.

Not sure if true but slapping plates on from another car carries a stiffer penalty than no plates. But then no plates attracts more attention so what are ya going to do? They certainly don't make life easy for us.

What about having insurance on a vehicle not registered in your name (yet)? Did you check if coverage will be provided in case of an accident?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdoc View Post
I think you hit the nail on the head...zero feedback seller, no details in the listing and mediocre photos. All add up to more trouble than it is worth for most bidder. But I had seen this car in Hemmings and spoke with the seller so I knew a bit more about it than most bidders did.

As for the process, I simply bring cash and a set of valid plates off one of my other cars, pay the seller and have him sign the title, mount the plates and drive off. No muss no fuss. I'll register it once I get home. Never been caught (yet) and drive with a light pedal so as to minimize the risk. I carry the signed title and the registration that matches the plates just in case so I can explain that the plates are mine and valid, just not for this particular car. If I wanted to go the extra mile I'd get a temp plate from the state which they will provide with a bill of sale but I find this works best for me. I generally don't pay for a car until I have seen it so I can't register it before I go to pick it up.

Insurance is automatic once I buy a car I have 30 days coverage but in most cases I simply notify the insurance company of my plans and they add the car the day I pick it up.
__________________
85 300D turbo pristine w 157k when purchased 161K now
83 300 D turbo 297K runs great. SOLD!
83 240D 4 spd manual- parted out then junked
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-17-2007, 06:47 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by funola View Post
What about having insurance on a vehicle not registered in your name (yet)? Did you check if coverage will be provided in case of an accident?
Title proves ownership, so once the title is signed over I would think the insurance company would be on the hook. In fact I just read the Hagerty policy and it does not make any mention about a requirement that a vehicle be registered, only owned by the insured person. It does say that in order for the collision coverage to be in effect it needs to be a listed car so you can't use the 30 day coverage and expect them to pay for damage to the insured vehicle itself. I already applied for coverage, effective today on the W116...so I am all set. They accepted my estimate of its value for agreed upon coverage.
__________________
Marty D.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz

Last edited by nhdoc; 10-17-2007 at 07:08 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-17-2007, 08:37 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Southern NH
Posts: 183
Hi Marty,

If you don't mind my asking, who's your insurance carrier? I have Liberty Mutual, and when I signed up my W123, they wouldn't discuss the value of the car for agreed-upon coverage. Rather, they would only say that the value was "probably close to NADA" and that they would determine the car's value at the time of a future claim if necessary. Apparently, they just plug the VIN into a computer and it spits out the premium rates.

Safe travels today. I work in Nashua, so I'll be on the lookout for your new W116.

Charlie
__________________
05 E320 CDI - 140K miles
82 300D - 200K miles (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-17-2007, 08:58 AM
hitwtom's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Maryland (Washington DC area)
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhdoc View Post
I am off in the a.m. to pick up my "new" W116. It's been pre-screened by one of our very helpful board members (thanks RML!) who declared it to be in "pristine, near showroom condition" so I will fly in and pick it up in the afternoon, have it checked and minor service done at his local mechanic's shop and hit the road on Thursday morning back to NH...with any luck I'll be back in time for dinner..
Don't be in such a rush to leave Pittsburgh. Take some time and see some of the city. I grew up there but hadn't been back for about 30 years until this past April for this http://www.pittsburghvintagegrandprix.com/6746108221812390/blank/browse.asp?A=383&BMDRN=2000&BCOB=0&C=53151 What a great weekend. I would recommend it next year for anyone, although Mercedes won't be the featured marque. If anyone is interested the burgandy and gray 170 was a diesel. Very nice car.
__________________
'83 240D (for sale)
'84 Harley FXRT
'85 300CD Turbo (Sold)
'85 500SEC (for sale)
'04 Dodge Dakota Quad
'06 Harley FLHTCI
'97 SL320
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Nashua, NH
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH82W123 View Post
Hi Marty,

If you don't mind my asking, who's your insurance carrier? I have Liberty Mutual, and when I signed up my W123, they wouldn't discuss the value of the car for agreed-upon coverage. Rather, they would only say that the value was "probably close to NADA" and that they would determine the car's value at the time of a future claim if necessary. Apparently, they just plug the VIN into a computer and it spits out the premium rates.

Safe travels today. I work in Nashua, so I'll be on the lookout for your new W116.

Charlie
My collection is insured with Hagerty. They are not daily drivers so I have collector's insurance on them.

Today was a mixed bag of luck. My travel plans went flawlessly and I was everywhere when I expected to be...at the car by 2:00 - paid, signed the papers, mounted the plates and drove off about 2:20. The car was very nice indeed (more details on that when I get home). We stopped at Richard's mechanic and I immediately noticed a tire which I didn't like the looks of that had obviously been run close to flat and the sidewalls were badly scuffed. The tech didn't think I would have trouble making it home but alas he was wrong. I don't know precisely how far I got but it wasn't more than about 30 miles when I noticed the wheel shaking, first it was subtle then more violent. I spied and exit off the turnpike and took it...by the time I reached the end of the ramp it was completely disintegrated. Fortunately there was a good spare in the trunk as well as a jack and lug wrench. 5 minutes later I was on my way to a Sears that was only a few miles off the turnpike where I got 4 brand new tires fitted and booked a room for the night across the road from the mall. Tomorrow AM I will get an early start and be in NJ for lunch with my ailing mom.
__________________
Marty D.

2013 C300 4Matic
1984 BMW 733i
2013 Lincoln MKz
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page