Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Tech Information and Support > ML, GL, G-Wagen, R-Class, Unimog, Sprinter

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-28-2006, 03:05 PM
DUTCH's Avatar
Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 434
ML320 CDI - Real World Mileage

Truck has 700 miles on it. Drove a 230 mile trip today of which it was about 30 miles of city driving and 200 miles of Interstate. Computer said an average speed of 62 mph and average fuel consumption of 28.8 mpg. Not too shabby for a 4800 lb curb weight vehicle.

I like this truck!

__________________
1973 280SE 4.5 (Sold)
1984 LWB 280GE (Sold)
2000 G500 NMLE - "Deep Throat"
2007 ML320 CDI (Sold)
2010 Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia TipTronic (Sold)
2010 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI (Sold and Sorely Missed)
2014 ML350 BTC
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI (On Order)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-28-2006, 09:24 PM
TheDon's Avatar
Ghost of Diesels Past
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,282
My friend just got one... It sounds so quiet. Quieter than his VW TDI and I could barely tell it was the CDI when he pulled up.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2007, 11:29 PM
DR.DIESEL's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Puget Sound, Washington St.
Posts: 522
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH View Post
Truck has 700 miles on it. Drove a 230 mile trip today of which it was about 30 miles of city driving and 200 miles of Interstate. Computer said an average speed of 62 mph and average fuel consumption of 28.8 mpg. Not too shabby for a 4800 lb curb weight vehicle.

I like this truck!
Congrats.
Must ride and drive a bunch smoother than your 463!
Nice rigs. I took a R320 CDI for a trip and it got 30.2mpg
over 50 miles of Freeway crusin.

I can't wait for the GL320.

DR.D
__________________
Dr.Diesel -
Shop Foreman
Master Guild Mercedes-Benz Technician.

Think the dealer is expensive? Do you know how much it costs to train a dealer tech? Or buy the required MB special tools to have on hand?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2007, 05:55 AM
DUTCH's Avatar
Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR.DIESEL View Post
Congrats.
Must ride and drive a bunch smoother than your 463!
Nice rigs. I took a R320 CDI for a trip and it got 30.2mpg
over 50 miles of Freeway crusin.

I can't wait for the GL320.

DR.D
No question about the "smoother", but they're entirely different animals.

Mileage is dropping now that I've passed 1,000 miles and don't baby it as much. I still like it for street driving though - especially the Airmatic suspension, which can be adjusted at the touch of a button for speed bumps, highway driving and curvy mountain roads.
__________________
1973 280SE 4.5 (Sold)
1984 LWB 280GE (Sold)
2000 G500 NMLE - "Deep Throat"
2007 ML320 CDI (Sold)
2010 Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia TipTronic (Sold)
2010 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI (Sold and Sorely Missed)
2014 ML350 BTC
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI (On Order)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2007, 09:50 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Kennesaw, GA
Posts: 689
You are definitely making me want to save up for GL in a year or two that has the air suspension. The great thing about diesels is they almost always do better than the EPA estimates. I am pretty impressed if you shop around you can find ULSD at a decent price especially near at a shell or BP that is trying to compete with Home Depot is selling LSD.
__________________
My Daily : 96 E-300 Diesel with 195,000 miles
Retired: 92 300D 2.5 T 345K miles and for sale
Retired: 95 E320 157K miles and currently parked with blown engine

Both retired cars are for sale as is my w124 shop inventory
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-25-2007, 01:20 AM
Robert W. Roe's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Lehigh Valley PA
Posts: 1,330
I just bought an R320CDI and love it. I drove it from NH to PA and got 26.7 mpg on my first tank. Actually about a half a tank
I am beginning to doubt the brochure's claim of a 21.1 gal tank... guess I might have to check the owner's manual.
I just topped it with 10.58 gal and I swear the guage said over half a tank. Also the range numbers on the trip computer when I look at the mpg don't work out right for a 21 gallon tank...
I guess that's what they mean when they say "specs subject to change without notice."

But anyway, I do enjoy getting 26+ mpg running errands late at night with little traffic. I have noticed that my mpg drops climbing hills... I watched my mpg go from 26 mpg down to 23.5 mpg after going up a few hundred foot hill.
__________________
Bob Roe
Lehigh Valley PA USA
1973 Olds 88, 1972 MB 280SE, 1978 Datsun 280Z, 1971 Ford T-Bird, 1972 Olds 88, 1983 Nissan Sentra, 1985 Sentra, 1973 230.6, 1990 Acura Integra, 1991 Volvo 940GLE wagon, 1983 300SD, 1984 300SD, 1995 Subaru Legacy L wagon, 2002 Mountaineer, 1991 300TE wagon, 2008 Murano, 2007 R320CDI 4Matic 52K, some Hyundai, 2008 BMW 535xi wagon, all gone... currently
2007 Honda Odyssey Touring, 2014 E350 4matic
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-25-2007, 06:23 AM
DUTCH's Avatar
Curmudgeon
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert W. Roe View Post
I just bought an R320CDI and love it. I drove it from NH to PA and got 26.7 mpg on my first tank. Actually about a half a tank
I am beginning to doubt the brochure's claim of a 21.1 gal tank... guess I might have to check the owner's manual.
I just topped it with 10.58 gal and I swear the guage said over half a tank. Also the range numbers on the trip computer when I look at the mpg don't work out right for a 21 gallon tank...
I guess that's what they mean when they say "specs subject to change without notice."

But anyway, I do enjoy getting 26+ mpg running errands late at night with little traffic. I have noticed that my mpg drops climbing hills... I watched my mpg go from 26 mpg down to 23.5 mpg after going up a few hundred foot hill.
I can't say what an R has for a tank, but the ML is 25 gallons; and I've squeezed a shade over that in it on at least one occasion.

Don't pay any attention to the short term computer numbers for fuel mileage. It will fluctuate all over the map, especially when starting from zero. The only real way to get decent numbers is to fill your car the same way each time (not easy with foamy diesel) and divide the miles between fills by the gallons pumped.
__________________
1973 280SE 4.5 (Sold)
1984 LWB 280GE (Sold)
2000 G500 NMLE - "Deep Throat"
2007 ML320 CDI (Sold)
2010 Porsche Cayenne S Transsyberia TipTronic (Sold)
2010 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI (Sold and Sorely Missed)
2014 ML350 BTC
2015 Audi Q7 3.0 TDI (On Order)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-01-2007, 02:35 AM
Robert W. Roe's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Lehigh Valley PA
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH View Post
I can't say what an R has for a tank, but the ML is 25 gallons; and I've squeezed a shade over that in it on at least one occasion.

Don't pay any attention to the short term computer numbers for fuel mileage. It will fluctuate all over the map, especially when starting from zero. The only real way to get decent numbers is to fill your car the same way each time (not easy with foamy diesel) and divide the miles between fills by the gallons pumped.

Actually my overall mileage has been within 0.1 mpg of the trip computer on my last couple of tankfuls (same station, same pump).

I got "only" 18.7 mpg on my last tankful, but my driving has been largely urban, with my wife driving my Mercedes ( ) and some idling with AC blasting. It's the kind of driving which would get single digit mpg's on our V8 Mercury Mountaineer, or 15-16 mpg on my old 300TE wagon...

Also our ambient temps were up to 97 deg F today, so my AC was working extra hard.... I'm happy it works
__________________
Bob Roe
Lehigh Valley PA USA
1973 Olds 88, 1972 MB 280SE, 1978 Datsun 280Z, 1971 Ford T-Bird, 1972 Olds 88, 1983 Nissan Sentra, 1985 Sentra, 1973 230.6, 1990 Acura Integra, 1991 Volvo 940GLE wagon, 1983 300SD, 1984 300SD, 1995 Subaru Legacy L wagon, 2002 Mountaineer, 1991 300TE wagon, 2008 Murano, 2007 R320CDI 4Matic 52K, some Hyundai, 2008 BMW 535xi wagon, all gone... currently
2007 Honda Odyssey Touring, 2014 E350 4matic
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 64
[QUOTE=

I can't wait for the GL320.

DR.D[/QUOTE]

The Gl with the off road package has air suspension with ADS, a 2 speed transfer case, center and rear locking differentials, skid plate protection, and optical under ride plate front and rear, and chrome roof rail crossbars. Sweet ride.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page