Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-21-2005, 02:37 AM
wielder of thor's hammer
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 321
friend's Chevy Xtreme pickup brake failure

I pull up to my local Hess today, and my friend Ray is leaning over the open hood of his 2003 Xtreme. He said as he was pulling out his brakes stopped working. I looked behind the wheel, and his left front brake line was completely severed! It looked like it was rubbing on the control arm and just broke. I can't really find any instances of GM recalling anything in relation to this, but I told him to pitch a fit and try to get the dealership to fix for free (it's out of warranty). Anyone heard of this happening with the Xtreme or even the regular S10? I find it unbelievable that GM would design the suspension and braking system so that this would even be possible. Ray's just lucky he wasn't on the highway when it happened!!! Scary...

p.s. I was looking into buying a Colorado, but now I'm not so sure.

__________________
headrivenoise... listen.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-21-2005, 08:26 AM
MedMech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtysocks
I pull up to my local Hess today, and my friend Ray is leaning over the open hood of his 2003 Xtreme. He said as he was pulling out his brakes stopped working. I looked behind the wheel, and his left front brake line was completely severed! It looked like it was rubbing on the control arm and just broke. I can't really find any instances of GM recalling anything in relation to this, but I told him to pitch a fit and try to get the dealership to fix for free (it's out of warranty). Anyone heard of this happening with the Xtreme or even the regular S10? I find it unbelievable that GM would design the suspension and braking system so that this would even be possible. Ray's just lucky he wasn't on the highway when it happened!!! Scary...

p.s. I was looking into buying a Colorado, but now I'm not so sure.
I had a blown brake line on our trail blazer, it happend on the way home from the dealer.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-21-2005, 11:19 AM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Its two years old....road debris could have damaged it.....so until you know what caused it you can't jump on GM for it.

Hell my Master Cylinder died in my Honda two years ago with no warning....I am not blaming honda for it.
__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-21-2005, 12:00 PM
cscmc1's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Central IL
Posts: 2,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneheaddoctor
Its two years old....road debris could have damaged it.....so until you know what caused it you can't jump on GM for it.

Hell my Master Cylinder died in my Honda two years ago with no warning....I am not blaming honda for it.
*If* it was rubbing on the control arm that's a bad design. If I believed that were the case and it were my vehicle, I'd take it in and politely ask whether there had been any recalls or TSBs issued for brake line failures, then lean harder and harder if the manager were not helpful.

Your Honda in an '89, right? That's not surprising that it went. Brake lines, in my opinion, should last more than 2 years. If road debris is the cause, you are right, though.
__________________
1992 300D 2.5T
1980 Euro 300D (sadly, sold)
1998 Jetta TDI, 132K "Rudy"
1974 Triumph TR6
1999 Saab 9-5 wagon (wife's)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-21-2005, 02:33 PM
boneheaddoctor's Avatar
Senior Benz fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hells half acre (Great Falls, Virginia)
Posts: 16,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by cscmc1
*If* it was rubbing on the control arm that's a bad design. If I believed that were the case and it were my vehicle, I'd take it in and politely ask whether there had been any recalls or TSBs issued for brake line failures, then lean harder and harder if the manager were not helpful.

Your Honda in an '89, right? That's not surprising that it went. Brake lines, in my opinion, should last more than 2 years. If road debris is the cause, you are right, though.
Well my intent being is road debriss hit it and bent it so it ended up rubbing....I guarantee you it wasn't built with it rubbing....or somebody did a brake job and ended up rotating the caliper putting a stress ont he line that had it go and rub....

__________________
Proud owner of ....
1971 280SE W108
1979 300SD W116
1983 300D W123
1975 Ironhead Sportster chopper
1987 GMC 3/4 ton 4X4 Diesel
1989 Honda Civic (Heavily modified)
---------------------
Section 609 MVAC Certified
---------------------
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
instrument panel and brake light failure rsc Tech Help 4 08-22-2003 08:12 PM
Brake Failure '98 E320S4 TAHvonCH Tech Help 1 04-03-2002 12:32 AM
brake failure mercedes karman diesel BARRYDUCKETT Diesel Discussion 4 02-21-2002 12:47 AM
Power Brake bleeder Chris Haney Tech Help 17 09-09-2001 11:28 AM
Brake Failure update russla Tech Help 8 09-10-2000 03:11 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page