Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 341
China Buying DaimlerChrysler/BMW Engine Plant.

This is an interesting article on what the Chinese Auto Manufactureres are doing to get into the international market especially the US. They are buying the factory that makes the Tritec engine - "one of the most technologically sophisticated and fuel-efficient car engines in the world." This engine is used in the MiniCooper, Neon, and PT Cruise. We could be seeing Chinese-made cars in the US faster than we think if the Chinese decide to use their $$ to buy western technology and knowhow. This is bad new for the Big 3 US auto manufacturers and may even impact the Japanese and Korean auto manufacturers. I won't be surprise if the Chinese Auto Manufacturers decide to buy one or more of the Japanese auto manufacturers that are in trouble like Mitsibishi, or Mazda in the future.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/17/business/17auto.html

  #2  
Old 02-17-2006, 04:45 PM
Lebenz's Avatar
backwoods member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: In the fog
Posts: 2,862
I read about that. It hasnít been finalized but is an excellent way for china.inc to get SOTA technology with virtually no development. Think the sellers will refuse the sale?
__________________
...Tracy

'00 ML320 "Casper"
'92 400E "Stella"
  #3  
Old 02-17-2006, 05:06 PM
GottaDiesel's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich300TDMBZ
This is an interesting article on what the Chinese Auto Manufactureres are doing to get into the international market especially the US. They are buying the factory that makes the Tritec engine - "one of the most technologically sophisticated and fuel-efficient car engines in the world." This engine is used in the MiniCooper, Neon, and PT Cruise. We could be seeing Chinese-made cars in the US faster than we think if the Chinese decide to use their $$ to buy western technology and knowhow. This is bad new for the Big 3 US auto manufacturers and may even impact the Japanese and Korean auto manufacturers. I won't be surprise if the Chinese Auto Manufacturers decide to buy one or more of the Japanese auto manufacturers that are in trouble like Mitsibishi, or Mazda in the future.
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/17/business/17auto.html

Very interesting!!

China will do a gangbuster biz in the US auto sector. It may take them a while to get to the right point quality-wise... but not as long as it took Japan. The Chinese are very fast adapters. They also have much more iin the way of resources compare to Japan.

They are an amazing nation... and we helped get them there!
  #4  
Old 02-17-2006, 05:08 PM
intelligent
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
MORE POWER TO 'EM. We think we can control the world LOL China will bring us down to our knees soon IMO
  #5  
Old 02-17-2006, 05:17 PM
GottaDiesel's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligent
MORE POWER TO 'EM. We think we can control the world LOL China will bring us down to our knees soon IMO

Yes. I have to agree. The role of the communists have ALWAYS been to shoot down our "ways" and it will. The United States IS communistic in many ways. Think about how education is funded, social security... only we don't call it that (what else do you call the fact that *I* pay for YOUR kid to go to school?) Or *I* pay YOUR bills when you get old because you couldn't save and invest? Or the fact that I pay for your unhealthy ass to eat McFatty's and then get high blood pressure?

Some of the ideas that the Commie's have aren't so far off. The real problem with China is simple - and Americans hate to hear it.

Americans are fat and lazy. Chinese aren't. That's all there is too it!
  #6  
Old 02-17-2006, 05:20 PM
intelligent
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaDiesel
Yes. I have to agree. The role of the communists have ALWAYS been to shoot down our "ways" and it will. The United States IS communistic in many ways. Think about how education is funded, social security... only we don't call it that (what else do you call the fact that *I* pay for YOUR kid to go to school?) Or *I* pay YOUR bills when you get old because you couldn't save and invest? Or the fact that I pay for your unhealthy ass to eat McFatty's and then get high blood pressure?

Some of the ideas that the Commie's have aren't so far off. The real problem with China is simple - and Americans hate to hear it.

Americans are fat and lazy. Chinese aren't. That's all there is too it!
Well said. I would like to see us try to stop China now. Oh wait, that's why we are in Iraq because China and Russia had already signed agreements with Iraq and we had to invade to keep China away to slow it down. That's not happening anytime soon.
  #7  
Old 02-17-2006, 05:57 PM
Geezer
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligent
...China will bring us down to our knees soon IMO
And then what??? Is this a good thing???
  #8  
Old 02-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 40,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligent
MORE POWER TO 'EM. We think we can control the world LOL China will bring us down to our knees soon IMO

And that would be a good thing, to be on our knees to the People Paradise?
__________________
'Government is like a baby:
An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and
no sense of responsibility at the other'
- Ronald Reagan
  #9  
Old 02-17-2006, 08:02 PM
intelligent
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Angry A wake-up SLAP on the face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst
And that would be a good thing, to be on our knees to the People Paradise?
Who said it would be a good thing? I just think that we need to get our lazy and pompous asses back to work. The American worker has just become lazy and will not work for less than $x.oo . If one can't afford to live on a low wage salary then get the whole family working. We are the laziest, fattest country. We can't give much credit to ourselves for anything now, not even brains. We have to get foreigners to come work and invent stuff here. Look at all the research going on. Do you think we Americans are inventing crap? HECK NO. Yeah the head professor will always be a Caucasian American but just take a look in the lab, filled with orientals and Indians. We are loosing jobs because the American worker just doesn't want to work for the price that overseas workers work. I know that it is damn cheap and one worker couldn't support a family on that kind of wage but then let the old fat wives help also and the children. We sure as hell aren't getting ahead in studies I think that people need to just realize that their labour is just not worth as much as they thought. Its time to stop thinking about how comfortable we can live our lives and do something for this country, i.e get our lazy asses to start working even if it is for $3.50 an hour! Just cut out the unemployment benefits and see how fast these lazy asses start the "do those jobs that Mexicans do." If I didnt have a formal education, I'd be hauling crap for $2 buck an hour.
  #10  
Old 02-17-2006, 09:01 PM
Ara T.'s Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,075
Chery will be bringing a roadster and some other cars to the US within a couple of years I believe... the roadster is pretty nice looking. But if they make the same "splash" that the Koreans did years ago then it will be a long long time before they get any good reputation/recognition as a decent manufacturer.
__________________
1985 CA 300D Turbo , 213K mi
  #11  
Old 02-17-2006, 11:38 PM
cmac2012's Avatar
Renaissance Dude
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 19,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by intelligent
Who said it would be a good thing? I just think that we need to get our lazy and pompous asses back to work. The American worker has just become lazy and will not work for less than $x.oo . If one can't afford to live on a low wage salary then get the whole family working. We are the laziest, fattest country. We can't give much credit to ourselves for anything now, not even brains. We have to get foreigners to come work and invent stuff here. Look at all the research going on. Do you think we Americans are inventing crap? HECK NO. Yeah the head professor will always be a Caucasian American but just take a look in the lab, filled with orientals and Indians. We are loosing jobs because the American worker just doesn't want to work for the price that overseas workers work. I know that it is damn cheap and one worker couldn't support a family on that kind of wage but then let the old fat wives help also and the children. We sure as hell aren't getting ahead in studies I think that people need to just realize that their labour is just not worth as much as they thought. Its time to stop thinking about how comfortable we can live our lives and do something for this country, i.e get our lazy asses to start working even if it is for $3.50 an hour! Just cut out the unemployment benefits and see how fast these lazy asses start the "do those jobs that Mexicans do." If I didnt have a formal education, I'd be hauling crap for $2 buck an hour.
It's the Roman kind of decadence that comes from wealth, specially the ill gotten sort. People start to believe that they've got a cush job coming. Of course, people can't stay in much of any kind of home here in the US making a mere 3 or 4 times as much as a Chinese worker.

It's going to be an interesting, if tumultuous next few decades.
__________________
cmac

1986 300SDL, 351K
1984 300D, 133K
  #12  
Old 02-17-2006, 11:46 PM
cmac2012's Avatar
Renaissance Dude
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 19,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich300TDMBZ
I won't be surprise if the Chinese Auto Manufacturers decide to buy one or more of the Japanese auto manufacturers that are in trouble like Mitsibishi, or Mazda in the future.
I think Mitsubishi has a pretty serious engine factory of their own. I believe I read that they supply engines to a lot of other Asian car makers.
__________________
cmac

1986 300SDL, 351K
1984 300D, 133K
  #13  
Old 02-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Rockville MD
Posts: 833
The question is, do we have the willpower and gumption to meet that challenge? Or do we just sit and be trickled down upon? A lot of what we are seeing now is reflective of the Roman Empire's last days when decacence ruled. I hope we can learn from history. We may have to prepare for some radical changes. And its gonna be hard gettin some of these desperate housewives out of the SUV and back in the workplace!
__________________
1985 380SE Blue/Blue - 230,000 miles
2012 Subaru Forester 5-speed
2005 Toyota Sienna
2004 Chrysler Sebring convertible
1999 Toyota Tacoma
  #14  
Old 02-18-2006, 01:41 AM
cmac2012's Avatar
Renaissance Dude
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 19,496
I think we need to bring back some kind of apprenticeship type setup for youth where they work like crazy, along with learning, to learn how the world works. Have young men disassemble, examine, and then reassemble stuff like sewing machines (one hell of an invention), lathes, autos, bicycles, etc. That would help to prime the pump of the sort of brainpower that actually comes up with breakthrough inventions.

Instead, we're too focused on IT or the traditional status lure: Doctor or Lawyer.

Good professions those, but only a small part of the picture.
__________________
cmac

1986 300SDL, 351K
1984 300D, 133K
  #15  
Old 02-18-2006, 02:15 AM
Unregistered Abuser
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Eau Claire WI
Posts: 968
ok... we have an embargo with cuba because theyr communist, and had nukes...

Chinas communist, and has nukes... but we buy from them... Thanks to whatever jerkoff who decided we could sell the them. O wait, they were poor at one point

I dont buy from china, japan, or france when I can help it
~Nate

__________________
95 Honda Shadow ACE 1100.
1999 Plymouth Neon Expresso. 2.4 swap, 10.5 to 1 comp, big cams. Autocross time attack vehicle!
2012 Escape, 'hunter" (5 sp 4cyl)
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page