Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-19-2007, 07:20 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Big SUV vs Little Truck

Had a green light and took off. Someone in the opposite direction decides to make a left right into me. Good thing I was in my Excursion helping a girl move something. Road was 35 but he was easily going 45 and up. His truck had the grill pushed into the motor. All that happened to me was that I got a bruise from the seat belt. You could see a bend in the truck forming a "v" at the place where the bed met the cab. So far, damage is about 7K unless they find something else broke. We shall see later.

He was ticketed for running a red light and OWI. Unfortunately, he lived. Hospital found him with cracked ribs and broken sternum. He also has no medical insurance so his hospital tab will be picked up by those who can pay. Would have been cheaper on us all if he didn't live but oh well. Another woman went to render aid and said he was smelling of booze. Wife was nosy enough to keep his airways clear.

__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-19-2007, 07:31 PM
iwrock's Avatar
roflmonster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hella NorCal
Posts: 3,313
Dang son!!! Thos Excursions are mighty trucks. I have a friend with an Excursion Limited. Its built like a tank, and weighs a ton (if i recall). Pretty safe, as they are fairly large and sit high.


What kinda lil truck was he in? That sucks though. Hopefully he has auto insurance....


Was the lady you were helpin move with you?
__________________
-Justin

91 560 SEC AMG - other dogs dd
01 Honda S2000 - dogs dd
07 MB ML320 CDI - dd
16 Lexus IS250 - wifes dd

it's automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-19-2007, 08:53 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinwrock View Post
Dang son!!! Thos Excursions are mighty trucks. I have a friend with an Excursion Limited. Its built like a tank, and weighs a ton (if i recall). Pretty safe, as they are fairly large and sit high.

What kinda lil truck was he in? That sucks though. Hopefully he has auto insurance....

Was the lady you were helpin move with you?
With full load of fuel and my fat ass, 8000#

Some little truck like a Ford Ranger size. Standard cab long bed. Of course not. Which is why I was pissed. Drunk and without insurance of any sort.

No. Got done and the wife and I were going home.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-19-2007, 10:01 PM
Jim B.'s Avatar
Who's flying this thing ?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California./ N. Nevada
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
With full load of fuel and my fat ass, 8000#

Some little truck like a Ford Ranger size. Standard cab long bed. Of course not. Which is why I was pissed. Drunk and without insurance of any sort.

No. Got done and the wife and I were going home.
Drunk and no insurance? Then caused accident with injury? Damn, my first reaction would be to want to throw hydrochloric acid in his face and chop his hands off, so he would never drive again. This person should NEVER drive again, ever. That is just my rage talking.

I am so very very sorry about this. No question, the wieght and bulk of your SUV saved you. It's good you were in one, when it happened, imagine if the DRUNK guy was in one and you were in some little tin can of a vehicle.

Take care, and USED your insurance, check the policy, get reimbursed for EVERYTHING, pain and suffering, loss of use (rental), and get the SUV fixed right the first time. If you have Uninsured Motorists BI/PO coverage, keep in mind that in a situation like this basically you are in an adverserial situation with your own Insurer, because they are standing in the shoes of the Uninsured motorist here and will try to get out of it by paying you as little as possible.

Good luck
__________________
1991 560 SEC AMG, 199k <---- 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV ...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2007, 11:05 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
Drunk and no insurance? Then caused accident with injury? Damn, my first reaction would be to want to throw hydrochloric acid in his face and chop his hands off, so he would never drive again. This person should NEVER drive again, ever. That is just my rage talking.

I am so very very sorry about this. No question, the wieght and bulk of your SUV saved you. It's good you were in one, when it happened, imagine if the DRUNK guy was in one and you were in some little tin can of a vehicle.

Take care, and USED your insurance, check the policy, get reimbursed for EVERYTHING, pain and suffering, loss of use (rental), and get the SUV fixed right the first time. If you have Uninsured Motorists BI/PO coverage, keep in mind that in a situation like this basically you are in an adverserial situation with your own Insurer, because they are standing in the shoes of the Uninsured motorist here and will try to get out of it by paying you as little as possible.

Good luck
I was hoping he'd croak but the wife insisted on doing what she could to keep him alive. I lack medical skills so all I could do was stand by.

The wife suggested we get some tin can which got better gas mileage to take her to work. Told her that she could earn more money to pay for the gas but she cannot earn more money to pay for body reconstruction.

My insurance is footing the bill less my deductible. I have Uninsured Motorist coverage so I will be very careful and watch my insurance.

Thanx.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
If you have Uninsured Motorists BI/PO coverage, keep in mind that in a situation like this basically you are in an adverserial situation with your own Insurer, because they are standing in the shoes of the Uninsured motorist here and will try to get out of it by paying you as little as possible.

If he doesn't have um coverage, he likely would have gotten a ticket for it in Minn. and would be sol on everything but the collision damage. Ready to get more pissed? UM won't cover the damage to your truck--your collision will pick it up and you will still have to pay the deductable. Your premium can't go up because of the UM claim, but will because of the collision policy (likely).

I disagree with insurance companies skimping on UM claims--they are a bad faith problem waiting to happen and I have always had them go the extra mile on um claims because most states require the coverage now so there are fewer claims but still many premiums. Try to get your company to waive the deductable if you are looking for a 'win.'

Wish the guy was dead eh? If you would have been dead before the guy hit you the accident wouldn't have happened and your UM claim wouldn't make everyone elses premiums go up.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-20-2007, 08:20 AM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
Wish the guy was dead eh? If you would have been dead before the guy hit you the accident wouldn't have happened and your UM claim wouldn't make everyone elses premiums go up.
He'd have hit the car next to me then. I guess it would be good if both of us were dead since then he would have sailed on his merry DRUNKEN way then?

Sorry you disagree but I have NO tolerance when collisions occur involving drunks. Notice I said collisions not accidents. We accept certain things as accidents. This does not happen to be one that I consider an accident. If he was sober, yes. That he is drunk, ABSOLUTELY NOT.

He caused me the inconvenience, has several days of hospital treatment that he cannot pay, my insurance is paying for the damage he caused. So yes, if he were dead, it would be less money (hospital stay) for HIS STUPIDITY. Drunk drivers are a waste of skin IMO. You wanna get stoned and/or drunk? Do it in your own house. I have no problem with that. Get intoxicated while driving? Sorry, no sympathy.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-20-2007, 08:30 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
I guess it would be good if both of us were dead since then he would have sailed on his merry DRUNKEN way then?
How could he do this if you were both dead? I thought he was in a truck, not a sloop
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-20-2007, 08:31 AM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
How could he do this if you were both dead? I thought he was in a truck, not a sloop
Both me and the car next to me, I mean. If neither of us existed at that moment, he would have gone on his merry DRUNKEN way and not hit either of us. Ditto for the traffic behind us.

If you feel that sympathetic towards him, You could send flowers and a get well to his hospital room.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-20-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 101
I don't feel sympathetic towards him at all. I also posted some (IMO) helpful information above before commenting on your opinion.

You seem to be overly defensive today regarding your opinion. Better get that checked or it may turn into an emotion of some sort, Spock
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-20-2007, 08:52 AM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
I don't feel sympathetic towards him at all. I also posted some (IMO) helpful information above before commenting on your opinion.

You seem to be overly defensive today regarding your opinion. Better get that checked or it may turn into an emotion of some sort, Spock
Oh, it is helpful and I will certainly look into it especially when the adjuster gets there today.

Probably just still peeved at the entire situation. And BTW, wasn't his last title Ambassador Spock?
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Kuan's Avatar
unband
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: At the Birkebeiner
Posts: 3,811
Hey AK, good to hear that you're still alive. Next time title the damn thread GOT HIT BY DRUNK so I'll read it. Instead I thought it was some kind of video link.

Anyway glad to see you're OK. Your wife did a good thing. It'll pay dividends in the future. She's a good soul, keep her.
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows - Robert A. Zimmerman
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-20-2007, 09:24 AM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuan View Post
Hey AK, good to hear that you're still alive. Next time title the damn thread GOT HIT BY DRUNK so I'll read it. Instead I thought it was some kind of video link.

Anyway glad to see you're OK. Your wife did a good thing. It'll pay dividends in the future. She's a good soul, keep her.
Still kicking and spitting nails.

Onee I found out he was drunk and 911 was called, I didn't feel any need to do anything else. Wifey, OTOH, decided that she should use her trauma training and do the best by the "patient" even though he didn't deserve any more of our time. Wife is a keeper.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-20-2007, 09:27 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Oh, it is helpful and I will certainly look into it especially when the adjuster gets there today.

Probably just still peeved at the entire situation. And BTW, wasn't his last title Ambassador Spock?
Hey good luck and I really hope you are ok. Get an MRI and make them pay for it--a lot of people think soft tissue is BS, but I have seen what happens.

Spock wasn't a reference to the guy that was here, but I think the TV character is incapable of showing emotion, and I was just taking a shot I thought you would get. Sorry--no intense offended.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-20-2007, 09:34 AM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
Hey good luck and I really hope you are ok. Get an MRI and make them pay for it--a lot of people think soft tissue is BS, but I have seen what happens.

Spock wasn't a reference to the guy that was here, but I think the TV character is incapable of showing emotion, and I was just taking a shot I thought you would get. Sorry--no intense offended.
MRI or whatever they did neurologically is clean. Thanx anyways. Too bad you had to see soft tissue damage. Wife tells me it is NOT a pretty sight.

There is a user called Spock here? Didn't know that. Yes, I do follow Star Trek, The Next Generation, Deep Space 9 and Voyager. Also who could forget the movies? None taken. That is why I noted that his last rank was Ambassador Spock. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spock

__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page