Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-22-2007, 10:30 AM
GottaDiesel's Avatar
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,564
Toilets and Pollution...

I was just watching a program about polluting a river -- and how companies - large and small - dump (illegally and secretly) toxic crap into rivers, soil, etc.

My question is this... isn't that just too easy of a way to get caught? Why wouldn't you just flush it down the toilet?

Seems silly I guess, but I'm just curious.

(I don't know much about sewer treatment, etc.)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-22-2007, 10:32 AM
TX76513's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brandon, Mississippi
Posts: 5,203
Most cities will put monitoring devices in the sewers outside commercial facilities. If the wrong stuff goes down the drain it sets off an alarm at the treatment plant.

You got to trust me on why I know about this one.
__________________
BENZ THERE DONE THAThttp://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...c/progress.gif
15 VW Passat TDI
00 E420
98 E300 DT
97 E420 Donor Car - NEED PARTS? PM ME!
97 S500
97 E300D
86 Holden Jackaroo Turbo D
86 300SDL
(o\|/o)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Mistress's Avatar
No crying in baseball
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Inside a vortex
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX76513 View Post
Most cities will put monitoring devices in the sewers outside commercial facilities. If the wrong stuff goes down the drain it sets off an alarm at the treatment plant.

You got to trust me on why I know about this one.
o.k. I'll bite- why?
__________________
"It's normal for these things to empty your wallet and break your heart in the process."
2003 S430- "Yolanda"
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-22-2007, 11:30 AM
SwampYankee's Avatar
New England Hick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaDiesel View Post
I was just watching a program about polluting a river -- and how companies - large and small - dump (illegally and secretly) toxic crap into rivers, soil, etc.

My question is this... isn't that just too easy of a way to get caught? Why wouldn't you just flush it down the toilet?

Seems silly I guess, but I'm just curious.

(I don't know much about sewer treatment, etc.)
Just stupid, lazy and cheap. It's easy enough to call Clean Harbors (or similar) and have them haul away whatever you've got, but it'll cost you.

Most Water Districts/Commissions run Household Hazardous Waste Removal days where homeowners can bring old chemicals and toxic stuff. Even though I guess it's technically illegal for companies to bring their waste there, at least then it would be disposed of properly.
__________________

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-22-2007, 11:33 AM
Dee8go's Avatar
Senor User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 7,190
Illegal dumping into the sewers can net you some horrendous fines. A Purina plant in Louisville, KY once accidentaly released some chemical into the sewers there. The resulting explosion made the southern end of Louisville look like an earthquake had ocurred. I can't imagine how much THAT cost the company!
__________________
" The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But, unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do."- Warren Buffett

OBK #55

1998 Lincoln Continental - Sold
Max 1984 300TD 285,000 miles - Sold
The Dee8gonator 1987 560SEC 196,000 miles - Sold
Orgasmatron - 2006 CLS500 90,000 miles
2002 C320 Wagon 122,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 AM
TX76513's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brandon, Mississippi
Posts: 5,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
o.k. I'll bite- why?
Two employees knocked over a 400 gallon bulk motor oil dispensor in the middle of the night in a wash/lube bay. (it should have been anchored). Before they could right it about 250 gallons spilled out. In the employees infinate wisdom and instead of using a spill kit they used a pressure want and washed it down the drain. This triggered an alarm at the treatment plant and they shut the main sewage line down. Three days and about $190,000 later everything was back to normal
__________________
BENZ THERE DONE THAThttp://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...c/progress.gif
15 VW Passat TDI
00 E420
98 E300 DT
97 E420 Donor Car - NEED PARTS? PM ME!
97 S500
97 E300D
86 Holden Jackaroo Turbo D
86 300SDL
(o\|/o)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee8go View Post
Illegal dumping into the sewers can net you some horrendous fines. A Purina plant in Louisville, KY once accidentaly released some chemical into the sewers there. The resulting explosion made the southern end of Louisville look like an earthquake had ocurred. I can't imagine how much THAT cost the company!
Makes you want to handle that Cat Chow a little more cautiously, doesn't it?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page