Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-2007, 09:05 PM
rg2098's Avatar
Detailing Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 2,415
Fried another Dell hard disk

This is my second Dell laptop that I have fried a hard disk. I am so pissed right now. This machine is used, but only 3 years old. I have 8 year old Mac's running on their original drives.

The only reason why I have this hunk of **** is for one class that "requires" Windoze.

Sorry I had to rant to someone....

__________________
Adam Lumsden
(83) 300D
Vice-President of the MBCA International Stars Section
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-23-2007, 09:07 PM
iwrock's Avatar
roflmonster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hella NorCal
Posts: 3,313
What brand is the drive?
__________________
-Justin

91 560 SEC AMG - other dogs dd
01 Honda S2000 - dogs dd
07 MB ML320 CDI - dd
16 Lexus IS250 - wifes dd

it's automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-23-2007, 09:17 PM
rg2098's Avatar
Detailing Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 2,415
The first one I don't know. I sold the thing before I dropped kicked it out the window. This one is a Toshiba.

I know Dell doesn't product hard-drives. But their name is on the machines that failed. If a module in a car goes bad, its not Delphi, or Bosch that gets blamed, its the name on the product, Volkswagen, Buick, etc..
__________________
Adam Lumsden
(83) 300D
Vice-President of the MBCA International Stars Section
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
I buy cheap computers and toss them after four years, they don't last.
__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-23-2007, 10:09 PM
TheDon's Avatar
Ghost of Diesels Past
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,217
Toshiba's are known to fry.. I fried one in my Toshiba laptop...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-2007, 10:21 PM
cmac2012's Avatar
Renaissance Dude
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 22,358
My first laptop was a Dell and it had the infamous Me (Millenium Edition) operating system.

I dunno, I didn't like it for several reasons. My hard-drive died after about 3 or 4 years.

My current Gateway costs a few hundred less and is much better.
__________________
cmac

1986 300SDL, 351K
1984 300D, 133K
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-23-2007, 10:33 PM
Jorn's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: TheFlyingDutchManInHollywood
Posts: 5,799
Every drive in a Lap-top, MacBook will go bad over time. I used to have a stack of five bad drives on my desk from the last 6 years! With apps. like Final-Cut and PS they will die sooner or later. I cant wait 'till they come out with flash drives in the MacBooks pro.
__________________
Black on Black 1979 300CD (sold), 1990 Black 300SE, Silver 1989 Volvo 780, 1988 300CE
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 PM
rg2098's Avatar
Detailing Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 2,415
I'm not saying the Macs are perfect. I have had a few minor problems over the years, but nothing as bad as these damn PC's.
__________________
Adam Lumsden
(83) 300D
Vice-President of the MBCA International Stars Section
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-24-2007, 12:23 AM
iwrock's Avatar
roflmonster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hella NorCal
Posts: 3,313
w00t!


1337!


Anyways, I had a Hitachi Deathstar go bad on me. Pissed me off too, as it was one of them new 1 terabyte drives.



I got a lenovo laptop. Everything about it is sweet. It has hard drive protect if i move it around too much too.
__________________
-Justin

91 560 SEC AMG - other dogs dd
01 Honda S2000 - dogs dd
07 MB ML320 CDI - dd
16 Lexus IS250 - wifes dd

it's automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-24-2007, 02:03 PM
rg2098's Avatar
Detailing Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rochester Hills, MI
Posts: 2,415
120gb Seagate for $80 went back into the machine. I am writing the disk image back to the new drive right now.
__________________
Adam Lumsden
(83) 300D
Vice-President of the MBCA International Stars Section
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: North Central Kentucky
Posts: 1,068
lessee, you have an 8 year old mac. How big is the drive? How big was the drive in the laptop (and think about physical size too)? As the density of data increases, the odds of failure increase for any given format. Yeah, we all have 500 MB drives sitting around that will still run. Wanna use them? The idea that you can get 40 gigs of data on a drive barely larger than a credit card is still unbelieveable. Different drive makers push the envelope with their manufacturing and sometimes that doesn't work too well downthe line. Dell, being one of the biggest PC companies out there seem to get more failures because they have more PCs out there. Sometime they do cheap out or have a bad design and it bites them. Dell had a problem with motherboards a few years back and wound up taking a $150M charge-off for warranty work. Oh, and as I recall, when MAC had all the battery troubles, they were real quick to point out THEY did not make the batteries.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-24-2007, 03:36 PM
diametricalbenz's Avatar
The Crowbar of Embriage
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 3,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg2098 View Post
120gb Seagate for $80 went back into the machine. I am writing the disk image back to the new drive right now.
Seagates are good, they're just noisy.

Oh yes and if you run the Momentus 7200RPM drives you can cook eggs on them.

Last edited by diametricalbenz; 10-24-2007 at 03:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 42,041
We've been having problems with terabyte drives, especially LaCie. Not enough to be statistically meaningful, but still.... Western digitals have been holding-up better for us. Dunno why.

I'm about to buy a 1.2 TB RAID 1 HD sys (two drives, each at about 700 GB, mirroring) so at least I'll have back-up for when the thing self-destructs. I'll continue to use the internal drive for working files and back-up the working file to the RAID. We have 14 TB (RAID'd and weekly tape back-up) on our LAN but if we get more than a handful of files squirting through the system it really groans. The IT guys are supposed to be testing an upgraded system that will once again, wait for the computers rather than the computer waiting for the network.

It's the ol' nature abhors a vacuum thing. When throughput groans under a 50 gig transfer you limit file sizes to under 50 gig. When they upgrade to a faster system everybody will start shuffling 500 Gig files like it ain't nuthin'. Then we'll start moving into petabytes of storage ......

B
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-24-2007, 03:45 PM
iwrock's Avatar
roflmonster
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Hella NorCal
Posts: 3,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
We've been having problems with terabyte drives, especially LaCie. Not enough to be statistically meaningful, but still.... Western digitals have been holding-up better for us. Dunno why.

I'm about to buy a 1.2 TB RAID 1 HD sys (two drives, each at about 700 GB, mirroring) so at least I'll have back-up for when the thing self-destructs. I'll continue to use the internal drive for working files and back-up the working file to the RAID. We have 14 TB (RAID'd and weekly tape back-up) on our LAN but if we get more than a handful of files squirting through the system it really groans. The IT guys are supposed to be testing an upgraded system that will once again, wait for the computers rather than the computer waiting for the network.

It's the ol' nature abhors a vacuum thing. When throughput groans under a 50 gig transfer you limit file sizes to under 50 gig. When they upgrade to a faster system everybody will start shuffling 500 Gig files like it ain't nuthin'. Then we'll start moving into petabytes of storage ......

B


Are you gigabit in your office?


We have a huge lan here at my work. Everything is in Raid 0+1 (i think). Its fast, and there is security.



I love Western Digital Drives. They refuse to die. I have a scorpio in my lenovo laptop, and it works great with my active protection.


I have also found the larger the drive, the more problems it has. I have never had a problem with a drive under like 500 gigs. Anything larger, and your asking for trouble.
__________________
-Justin

91 560 SEC AMG - other dogs dd
01 Honda S2000 - dogs dd
07 MB ML320 CDI - dd
16 Lexus IS250 - wifes dd

it's automatic.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 42,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by W124.090 View Post
Are you gigabit in your office?


We have a huge lan here at my work. Everything is in Raid 0+1 (i think). Its fast, and there is security.



I love Western Digital Drives. They refuse to die. I have a scorpio in my lenovo laptop, and it works great with my active protection.


I have also found the larger the drive, the more problems it has. I have never had a problem with a drive under like 500 gigs. Anything larger, and your asking for trouble.
Yes, gigabit currently, going to 24 gigabit, IIRC (and I probably don't, ain't my thing. If it's important I can find out in a 5 seconds). Same experiences as you on HD. The ones that have been crashing on the medium side (300 -500 GB) are Maxtors.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page