Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 11-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Gurkha's Avatar
Satyameva Jayate Ad vitam
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boondocks
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
The question then is why they do go overseas. Is it an age or race issue?

Good point.........I wonder that myself.

__________________
99 Gurkha with OM616 IDI turbo

2015 Gurkha with OM616 DI turbo

2014 Rexton W with OM612 VGT
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-06-2007, 09:23 AM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Good point.........I wonder that myself.
I was told that if you wanted a healthy white infant, it would be very difficult. Are the kids your wife volunteers for mostly black and/or older?
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Gurkha's Avatar
Satyameva Jayate Ad vitam
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Boondocks
Posts: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
I was told that if you wanted a healthy white infant, it would be very difficult. Are the kids your wife volunteers for mostly black and/or older?
Yes, mostly hispanic or black older as well as young, also few whites.
__________________
99 Gurkha with OM616 IDI turbo

2015 Gurkha with OM616 DI turbo

2014 Rexton W with OM612 VGT
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-06-2007, 09:43 AM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha View Post
Yes, mostly hispanic or black older as well as young, also few whites.
That might explain why people are going overseas
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-06-2007, 10:26 AM
Kuan's Avatar
unband
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: At the Birkebeiner
Posts: 3,811
Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia. We're seeing a lot of adoptees from those countries these days. I guess John McCain started a trend.
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows - Robert A. Zimmerman
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-06-2007, 10:28 AM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuan View Post
Somalia, Eritrea, Ethiopia. We're seeing a lot of adoptees from those countries these days. I guess John McCain started a trend.
That part might be from people who want to be seen doing the "good" thing and helping out places in need. Just like people who try make contributions in BFE but ignore the needs of the local areas. Makes a bigger splash.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:13 AM
Kuan's Avatar
unband
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: At the Birkebeiner
Posts: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
That part might be from people who want to be seen doing the "good" thing and helping out places in need. Just like people who try make contributions in BFE but ignore the needs of the local areas. Makes a bigger splash.
Emphasis on might. McCain's adoption was hardly publicized. It was only during the 2000 primaries that the flyers condemning McCain for adopting a black baby were circulated.
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows - Robert A. Zimmerman
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 101
Having been involved in the adoption process quite a bit, some adoptive parents are advised to go out of the country because quite frankly of the future complications of the biological parents change of heart and or circumstances and the possibility that the child wants to reunite at some stage. State adoption laws are very clear on the subject regarding the bio parents but do not speak to hampering the child's efforts at all. The results of such reunions whether with or without the consent of the adoptive parents are more often than not, devastating for every one involved.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-06-2007, 11:37 AM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuan View Post
Emphasis on might. McCain's adoption was hardly publicized. It was only during the 2000 primaries that the flyers condemning McCain for adopting a black baby were circulated.
Wasn't speaking of McCain. Just people in general. Might not be the total motive but I have a feeling it plays into the equation.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-06-2007, 01:02 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Doe View Post
Having been involved in the adoption process quite a bit, some adoptive parents are advised to go out of the country because quite frankly of the future complications of the biological parents change of heart and or circumstances and the possibility that the child wants to reunite at some stage. State adoption laws are very clear on the subject regarding the bio parents but do not speak to hampering the child's efforts at all. The results of such reunions whether with or without the consent of the adoptive parents are more often than not, devastating for every one involved.
Good point, makes sense.
__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-06-2007, 01:14 PM
Kuan's Avatar
unband
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: At the Birkebeiner
Posts: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by aklim View Post
Wasn't speaking of McCain. Just people in general. Might not be the total motive but I have a feeling it plays into the equation.
I can guarantee you that people do not adopt to make a splash. Your feeling doesn't make it true for others.
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows - Robert A. Zimmerman
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-06-2007, 02:54 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuan View Post
I can guarantee you that people do not adopt to make a splash. Your feeling doesn't make it true for others.
No, I am saying that it does parallel cases where people run overseas to do charitable work when there is much work to be done locally. I think that they adopt to have a kid because they cannot have one themselves. However, I tend to believe that PART of the reason they adopt from sinkholes of the world is that it might make a bigger splash than adopting locally. I don't know. Maybe it is just my lack of trust for people but somehow, I feel that it makes a contribution to the equation and cannot be ignored.

Kinda like this:

Adopt Focally = Have the kid
Adopt Foreign = Have the kid + feel good about saving someone from hardship
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-06-2007, 04:30 PM
The Swede's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 286
My wife is Asian, so that's one of the reasons why we want might want to adopt from China. Other than that, I'd just assume adopt here in the US.
__________________
'17 Subaru WRX STI
'13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
'13 Orbea Carpe 9-speed

Currently Benzless
Formerly: 300TD, S600, E55, 560SEL

---= The forest breathes, listen.
-Native American elder
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swede View Post
My wife is Asian, so that's one of the reasons why we want might want to adopt from China.
She didn't go over there to find a husband, but you did to find a wife, so it would seem to me that if you aren't pushing the issue of foreign adoption and wish to go US that the case is closed
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-06-2007, 05:37 PM
The Swede's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 286
Doesn't matter to me either way. I wouldn't mind going to China however.

__________________
'17 Subaru WRX STI
'13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
'13 Orbea Carpe 9-speed

Currently Benzless
Formerly: 300TD, S600, E55, 560SEL

---= The forest breathes, listen.
-Native American elder
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page