Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
Nova: Intelligent Design tonight

Promises to be a decent show and it doesn't conflict with Boston Legal in our time zone.

__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-13-2007, 10:11 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 41,513
Saw it. Well done.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-13-2007, 11:28 PM
lietuviai's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: SW WA
Posts: 5,741
My biggest question regarding the theory of evolution is why are there still apes around or for that matter why are all the other animals still around that we supposedly evolved from?
__________________
DJ


84 300D Turbodiesel 190K with 4 speed manual sold in 03/2012
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
Interview with Phillip E Johnson, one of the powerhouses in Intelligent Design:

http://www.arn.org/docs/johnson/le_berkeleysradical.htm

It's pretty clear from the interview that his motivation is religious. (Although it might be argued, given his predilection for C.S. Lewis that his basic motivation is to return to traditional pre-scientific societies. I don't think this necessarily translates into religion.)

Seems odd to me that he doesn't address the issue that a conservative Hindu might make the same arguments against naturalism from the point of view of traditional Hinduism.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13

Last edited by kerry; 11-14-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2007, 12:17 AM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by lietuviai View Post
My biggest question regarding the theory of evolution is why are there still apes around or for that matter why are all the other animals still around that we supposedly evolved from?
Thats just because you don't understand how life works. When something new comes along, the other does not automatically have to die out. That's why there are so many variates of the same species all over the world.

There is no judgment of ID, it's religion plain and simple, its not science and it has no place in ANY public school. You have to be deaf and blind not to see that.

It's very simple. You want your kids to be "educated" in a religious environment? There are many private schools all over the country that would be happy to do it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2007, 12:24 AM
Matt SD300's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Saw it. Well done.
Quoting from Genesis ....were they?........
__________________
Matt (SD,CA)

1984 300SD.. White/Chrome Bunts..Green

1997 2500 Dodge Ram 5.9 Cummins 12 Valve 36 PSI of Boost = 400+hp & 800+tQ .. ..Greenspeed

2004 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Quad Cab Cummins 5.9 H.O "596hp/1225tq" 6 spd. Man. Leather Heated seats/Loaded..Flame Red....GREENSPEED

Global warming...Doing my part, Smokin da hippies..

Fight the good fight!......
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2007, 01:55 AM
veggihatetank's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 52
Saw it and turned it off when I saw how biased it was to promote evolution.There are lots of flaws in the theory and it cant be taught as fact for many good reasons.If they were true scientists they would agree but instead hold on to their religion and blindly attack any and all opposing views
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2007, 02:06 AM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Just as you are right now.

You say evolution full of holes as if ID isn't like a cheese grater itself. Any TRUE scientist can see that ID is a plain wrapped attempt to push their almighty "god" as fact when it's pure faith and stories from an old book with no basis on fact at all.

Here is a quick overview of ID: "I don't know what made it, I guess God made it. The end."

Last edited by ForcedInduction; 11-14-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2007, 03:25 AM
veggihatetank's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 52
:

You say evolution full of holes as if ID isn't like a cheese grater itself. Any TRUE scientist can see that ID is a plain wrapped attempt to push their almighty "god" as fact when it's pure faith and stories from an old book with no basis on fact at all.

Here is a quick overview of ID: "I don't know what made it, I guess God made it. The end."[/QUOTE]

There are many scientists that disgree with the evolution theory but don't receive the airplay as the pro evolutionists.The so called overview of ID just shows ignorance of the entire debate.If you really want to see both sides from a fair and open minded perspective just read from a few of the web sites. If you want to debate the two at least do it with real issues instead of that "God did it " cliche

http://emporium.turnpike.net/C/cs/index.htm

http://www.creationscience.com/onlinebook/

Last edited by veggihatetank; 11-14-2007 at 03:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-14-2007, 03:34 AM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggihatetank View Post
If you really want to see both sides from a fair and open minded perspective just read from a few of the web sites.[/URL]
Religion and open-minded are kind of oxymoronic.

There is no point in egging on the ID junk. It's not based on science, it's based on religion.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-14-2007, 03:43 AM
veggihatetank's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
Religion and open-minded are kind of oxymoronic.

There is no point in egging on the ID junk. It's not based on science, it's based on religion.
instead of name calling and false assumptions why not try to argue on any specific point? Then again it' seems to be alot easier to just make up a bunch of labels and say anyone that disagrees with the theory of evolutuion must be a fundamentalist.IMHO the teaching of evolution has become a sacred cow and any and all theories need to be open to fair and open debate.

Here's one for you,evolution assumes that change in the living world is unlimited. Obviously, anyone who wants to derive elephants and octopuses and butterflies all from an initial one-celled organism has to assume that biological change is virtually unlimited.

The trouble is, all the changes we have actually observed are limited. Farmers can breed for sweeter corn, bigger roses, or faster horses, but they still end up with corn, roses, and horses. No one has ever produced a new kind of organism. What evolutionists do is take these small-scale changes and extrapolate them: They speculate what might happen if minor changes are added up and extended millions of years into the misty past.

Now, there's nothing wrong with extrapolation per se, but this particular one is unsound. The variation induced by breeding does not continue at a steady rate through each generation. Instead, it is rapid at first and then levels off. Eventually it reaches a ceiling that breeders cannot cross

Last edited by veggihatetank; 11-14-2007 at 03:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-14-2007, 03:57 AM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggihatetank View Post
instead of name calling and false assumptions why not try to argue on any specific point?
I'm not making ANY false assumptions AND I'm making my point. ID/Creationism IS religion. Therefore, it is not suitable to teach in government operated schools. Plain and simple.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-14-2007, 04:02 AM
veggihatetank's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
I'm not making ANY false assumptions AND I'm making my point. ID/Creationism IS religion. Therefore, it is not suitable to teach in school. Plain and simple.
If you want to erase any contribution that any scientist has made that believes in creation then you would need to do away with everything Issac Newton taught along with many others.Why not just teach the two along side each other in public school and let the students form their own opinion.The reason why evolutionists don't want that to happen is they know their humanistic religion cant hold up to any fair debate.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-14-2007, 04:27 AM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
I don't give a rats behind what they think. It's their right as Americans to think it if they want. You do not understand WHAT I am trying to say and have been saying for the last hour: My stance is to keep it from being taught in public schools where it is constitutionally forbidden.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 AM
veggihatetank's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcedInduction View Post
I don't give a rats behind what they think. It's their right as Americans to think it if they want. You do not understand WHAT I am trying to say and have been saying for the last hour: My stance is to keep it from being taught in public schools where it is constitutionally forbidden.

The U.S. Constitution only states that “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.” Our founding fathers, who acknowledged the Creator in many places, including the Declaration of Independence, did not want a national religion such as the Church of England. (The phrase “separation of church and state” is not in the Constitution. Nor is the word “separation” or the word “church.”)

A few evolutionist organizations, the ACLU, and many media outlets have propagated that myth. The Supreme Court said that the scientific evidence for any theory of origins, including creation, has always been legal in the classroom. “Moreover, requiring the teaching of creation science with evolution does not give schoolteachers a flexibility that they did not already possess to supplant the present science curriculum with the presentation of theories, besides evolution, about the origin of life.

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page