Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 137
abondonded red 560 Sl near university of oregon law school

The car has a tow notice on it now. It looks very nice in terms of paint etc. I wonder what the deal with it is. Maybe I should leave a note on it and say I want to buy it. If it gets towed, will I have a way of buying it from there? Hope they don't send it to the crusher.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-15-2007, 05:50 PM
Larry Delor's Avatar
What, Me Worry?
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Sarasota, Fl.
Posts: 3,112
Probably broke a chain rail, and ate at least the left bank.
__________________
It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so. Robert A. Heinlein


09 Jetta TDI
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-15-2007, 06:13 PM
BENZ-LGB's Avatar
Strong, silent type
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,663
Before you offer to buy it, check for a dead body in the trunk. Not the first time that an "abandoned" Benz turns out to be part of a crime scene.
__________________
Current Benzes

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Delor View Post
Probably broke a chain rail, and ate at least the left bank.
Hmm so assuming that was the case, why not buy a ruff bodied 560 sel and transplant the motor into the sl? Direct swap right?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-15-2007, 10:32 PM
Larry Delor's Avatar
What, Me Worry?
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Sarasota, Fl.
Posts: 3,112
Pretty much... mounts probably different - have to swap them too. I'd make sure the year and month match really really close.
__________________
It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so. Robert A. Heinlein


09 Jetta TDI
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 PM
Jim B.'s Avatar
Who's flying this thing ?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California./ N. Nevada
Posts: 3,611
If you want it

The towing company that tows it away will have a towing and storage lien on it. The fees will build up fast, for the storage.

Find out which towing company dragged it away (after it is gone) and find out what the process would be for getting it through the towing comany's lien sale. Sealed bid or public auction, or what, ask them how it works. Be sure and inquire if all parking tickets get wiped out, if their are any lienholders on title, and if back registration fees are owed - all those things add up, and you are not sure you would even get a car that ran!!!

I am guessing that at least a month will need to go by (with storage fees incereasing) while the Police and/or Towing company give the last owner a chance to redeem and reclaim the car, via certified letters to the last registered owner of record.

Best case scenario would be if you can somehow get the plates run, with an "in" and the police department, (hard to do), and try to contact the last owner, and arrange a transfer of title, and get the keys (they are expensive) yourself, and pay off the lien yourself and get it out of the yard.

You will need to act fast. If you want it, try and figure out who the owner is, and contact him BEFORE it gets hauled off to the yard.

Seldom are they allowed to sit over 72 hours after the "abandoned car" notice goes onto the windshield. When it goes to that point, they will get towed off pretty quickly after that.

It is a gamble, because cars liked that are often abandoned for good reasons,
if the owner simply walked away from them on the street.

Now, if the car was abandoned at the long term parking lot, at the airport, that would be another story - and a pretty interesting one, that the authorities don't want you to know about - it's a way to get REALLY good abandoned cars, really really cheap, that ALL ran when parked.
__________________
1991 560 SEC AMG, 199k <---- 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV ...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)

Last edited by Jim B.; 11-16-2007 at 01:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-16-2007, 01:12 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Eugene, OR
Posts: 137
Hmm temtation is to see if it is unlocked and look at the registration for a name, but that would not be legal. I have no other way of contacting the owner as I have tried to do this with a Volvo a few years ago, and the DMV said they could not give out this infomation. Any other ideas?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-16-2007, 01:47 AM
Jim B.'s Avatar
Who's flying this thing ?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California./ N. Nevada
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by nh500sl View Post
Hmm temtation is to see if it is unlocked and look at the registration for a name, but that would not be legal. I have no other way of contacting the owner as I have tried to do this with a Volvo a few years ago, and the DMV said they could not give out this infomation. Any other ideas?
You did NOT read this here:

If you have no friends in LE to run a 10-28 on the plates,

Time can be bought by your removing the parking tickets and notice on the windshield, and then using a wet paper towel, to rub out any chalked marks put on the tires, or pebbles on top of the tires, by the ticketing agency. Do it quickly, with no one around watching. 10 seconds max.

If the car is unlocked, with disposable rubber gloves on your hands, get in and out of the car REAL quick, a fast search of the glovebox, side door pockets, and console area and under the seats looking.for evidence of registration to copy down, do it fast with no witnesses, as technically it might be considered a 2nd degree auto burg. if the wrong person saw you do it.

You need to do it fast, with nobody watching, it would be like a tree falling in the forest that nobody saw or heard and worth it if you got the information you needed.
__________________
1991 560 SEC AMG, 199k <---- 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV ...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZ-LGB View Post
Before you offer to buy it, check for a dead body in the trunk. Not the first time that an "abandoned" Benz turns out to be part of a crime scene.

Don Arronow's murder scene had to be the biggest of the big in that department
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-16-2007, 11:36 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B. View Post
You did NOT read this here:

If you have no friends in LE to run a 10-28 on the plates,

Time can be bought by your removing the parking tickets and notice on the windshield, and then using a wet paper towel, to rub out any chalked marks put on the tires, or pebbles on top of the tires, by the ticketing agency. Do it quickly, with no one around watching. 10 seconds max.

If the car is unlocked, with disposable rubber gloves on your hands, get in and out of the car REAL quick, a fast search of the glovebox, side door pockets, and console area and under the seats looking.for evidence of registration to copy down, do it fast with no witnesses, as technically it might be considered a 2nd degree auto burg. if the wrong person saw you do it.

You need to do it fast, with nobody watching, it would be like a tree falling in the forest that nobody saw or heard and worth it if you got the information you needed.

Felonious advice from an obviously disturbed individual.

Getting your cop friends to run plates is now a felony too, thank you Patriot Act for those wh
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-16-2007, 12:21 PM
TX76513's Avatar
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Brandon, Mississippi
Posts: 5,203
PM me the plate number
__________________
BENZ THERE DONE THAThttp://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...c/progress.gif
15 VW Passat TDI
00 E420
98 E300 DT
97 E420 Donor Car - NEED PARTS? PM ME!
97 S500
97 E300D
86 Holden Jackaroo Turbo D
86 300SDL
(o\|/o)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-16-2007, 12:51 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 101
Violation of the user agreement for the search, United States Code, its all the same. No big deal.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-16-2007, 12:58 PM
Dee8go's Avatar
Senor User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 7,190
My oh my, the range of advice and "help" available here is staggering.

If you want to be law-abiding, press one now, If you wish to violate the law, press two now. If you speak English, press three . . .
__________________
" The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But, unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do."- Warren Buffett

OBK #55

1998 Lincoln Continental - Sold
Max 1984 300TD 285,000 miles - Sold
The Dee8gonator 1987 560SEC 196,000 miles - Sold
Orgasmatron - 2006 CLS500 90,000 miles
2002 C320 Wagon 122,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-16-2007, 02:08 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
I'd get in touch with the owner by having one of my cop friends run the plates.
__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-16-2007, 02:09 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee8go View Post
My oh my, the range of advice and "help" available here is staggering.

If you want to be law-abiding, press one now, If you wish to violate the law, press two now. If you speak English, press three . . .
Ahh there are so many gray area's of the law.

__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page