Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-11-2008, 10:43 PM
nate300d's Avatar
What did I just do?
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Edgerton OH 43517
Posts: 366
Music Tastes

I turn 44 tomorrow. Musically I tend to be out-of-date with my own generation. I grew up listening to Glen Miller, The Andrews Sisters, and Spike Jones. I so enjoy listening to the Andrews Sisters. Just curious if there are any other Andrews Sisters fans.

__________________
Current:
1985 300D aka Miss Margaret
1991 300SE aka Alarice
1995 SL320 aka Samantha
1997 K1500 Silverado
Past:
1999 E300 ex-wife got it and let her son ruin it
1984 190 2.3 ex-wife got it and let her son destroy a great car
1985 300D (CA version) aka Maybelline lost to deer at high speed.
1981 300D aka Madeline (went to salvage at near 400k) rusty, yet best car I ever drove
Wishlist:
McFarlan TV6 (only a few privately owned)
ReVere with Rochester engine
1917 Premier (only one left)
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-12-2008, 01:17 AM
djugurba's Avatar
say: Jook-Ur-Pah
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lake Boon, MA
Posts: 987
Yikes, reminds me of my ex-wife- she was raised on Joni Mitchell and Don McLean and never developed a taste for anything remotely new. Ugh, I hope I never hear American Pie again.

When I was teaching, I used to learn the lyrics to popular music to use it on the kids. It blew their minds- they would hear the familiar phrases, but I'd deliver them deadpan, as though in a conversation. "You all are going to make me lose my mind, up in here. Up in here!"

But, I enjoy lots of classical music and big band music too in addition to everything from the Shins, Ben Folds, Guster, Fiona Apple, to Thievery Corporation to Pet Shop Boys and the Sundays. As long as the lyrics and music are interesting and not 2 chords and screaming, I give it a shot.
__________________
Cannondale ST600 XL
Redline Monocog 29er
2011 Mini Cooper Clubman
2005 Honda Element EX

www.djugurba.com
www.waldenwellness.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-12-2008, 05:05 AM
rickg's Avatar
User friendly
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Utah!!
Posts: 4,494
There is no dark side of the moon.
__________________
past MB rides:
'68 220D
'68 220D(another one)
'67 230
'84 SD
Current rides:
'06 Lexus RX330
'93 Ford F-250
'96 Corvette
'99 Polaris 700 RMK sled
2011 Polaris Assault
'86 Yamaha TT350(good 'ol thumper)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-12-2008, 06:05 AM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,260
Rum and coca-cola.....
__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-12-2008, 08:04 AM
Jordan G's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugurba View Post
Yikes, reminds me of my ex-wife- she was raised on Joni Mitchell and Don McLean and never developed a taste for anything remotely new. Ugh, I hope I never hear American Pie again.

When I was teaching, I used to learn the lyrics to popular music to use it on the kids. It blew their minds- they would hear the familiar phrases, but I'd deliver them deadpan, as though in a conversation. "You all are going to make me lose my mind, up in here. Up in here!"

But, I enjoy lots of classical music and big band music too in addition to everything from the Shins, Ben Folds, Guster, Fiona Apple, to Thievery Corporation to Pet Shop Boys and the Sundays. As long as the lyrics and music are interesting and not 2 chords and screaming, I give it a shot.
Nice - I concur. I highly, highly recommend Fiona's stuff with Jon Brion....search "River, stay away from my door" on youtube.....it blew me away. That woman puts a spell on me.

I'm strange though. I like the WuTang Clan and Glenn Miller and Tommy Dorsey too. If it's interesting, I'll listen to it. Wilco has been my current obsession.

I would have fallen off my chair had a professor dropped a Ludacris line on me like that.

EDIT: search "Tonight, you belong to me" too if you wander over to youtube.....she's great in that song too, with Nickel Creek, I believe? Not to be confused with the mindnumbingly annoying Nickelback.
__________________
1981 240d - 135k - Arlene

Last edited by Jordan G; 03-12-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
Benzless Scoutmaster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan G View Post
EDIT: search "Tonight, you belong to me" too if you wander over to youtube.....she's great in that song too, with Nickel Creek, I believe? Not to be confused with the mindnumbingly annoying Nickelback.
Wow. That was like seeing Fiona Apple at one of the family reunions we used to attend when I was a kid. I'm not a big fan of bluegrass or country, but I can get into it occasionally.
__________________
Chad
2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
1985 300CD - Gladys
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-12-2008, 08:57 AM
SwampYankee's Avatar
New England Hick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,501
I'll listen to just about anything, well except dance or pop. Metal, country, rockabilly, punk, classic rock, ska, reggae, while I don't like rap per se I do like the Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Tone Loc (yes H.S. flashbacks), Eminem, bagpipes, Rat Pack, Buffett, 50's-60's surf music, ocassionally Big Band era. I love having Sirius because of all of the choices of genres and songs within those genres that I might not otherwise catch.

Although daily listening does lean towards metal and country, it generally just depends on what mood I'm in.
__________________

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
Benzless Scoutmaster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
I'll listen to just about anything, well except dance or pop. Metal, country, rockabilly, punk, classic rock, ska, reggae, while I don't like rap per se I do like the Beastie Boys, Run DMC, Tone Loc (yes H.S. flashbacks), Eminem, bagpipes, Rat Pack, Buffett, 50's-60's surf music, ocassionally Big Band era. I love having Sirius because of all of the choices of genres and songs within those genres that I might not otherwise catch.

Although daily listening does lean towards metal and country, it generally just depends on what mood I'm in.
Being near Philly, most people around here are shocked that country music is the most widely listened to music across our county. Whenever I leave my area I'm surprised how many country stations are available and how few rock/alternative/urban there are.
__________________
Chad
2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
1985 300CD - Gladys
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 AM
SwampYankee's Avatar
New England Hick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad300tdt View Post
Being near Philly, most people around here are shocked that country music is the most widely listened to music across our county. Whenever I leave my area I'm surprised how many country stations are available and how few rock/alternative/urban there are.
It is pretty amazing. Back when I had to listen to terrestrial radio our local country station, 92.5, was routinely tops in the ratings in suburban central CT. Yet not many would admit to listening to it, too embarassed to come out of the closet I guess. They play too much of the new, pop-ish country for my taste but they still pulled in the listeners and the advertising revenue. Although my kids will often listen to it on their own if they have a radio on and it's not on Radio Disney.

We used to have a good classic rock, a heavier rock and an alternative station(s) in Hartford. The alternative and classic stations are now mixed, work-safe listening. The other rock station, WCCC, is now the only choice for rock/alternative in the area. Fortunately they are pretty damn good and, almost amazingly in this day and age, remain an independent station. I do miss having a classic rock station for the background in the warehouse, though.
__________________

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM
Kuan's Avatar
unband
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: At the Birkebeiner
Posts: 3,811
I like huge orchestral pieces, played loud, with scotch.
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows - Robert A. Zimmerman
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-12-2008, 10:48 AM
G-Benz's Avatar
Razorback Soccer Dad
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dallas/Fort-Worth
Posts: 5,711
I'm still a "smooth jazz" kind of guy, but I have recently taken an interest in Dance, Electronica, and "Ambient". Can't listen to those genre for much more than an hour, but I switch over to one of them on streaming radio when I grow weary of smooth jazz.

I like some of the artists that my daughter listens too, but for the most part, I cannot stand the "rap" crap that she plays! I can't believe that form of art has degraded to the level it is today!
__________________
2009 ML350 (106K) - Family vehicle
2001 CLK430 Cabriolet (80K) - Wife's car
2005 BMW 645CI (138K) - My daily driver
2016 Mustang (32K) - Daughter's car
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: NW OKlahoma
Posts: 410
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate300d View Post
I turn 44 tomorrow. Musically I tend to be out-of-date with my own generation. I grew up listening to Glen Miller, The Andrews Sisters, and Spike Jones. I so enjoy listening to the Andrews Sisters. Just curious if there are any other Andrews Sisters fans.
I'm out of date also. I love Big Band music and can honestly say if I had to listen to one type of music and no other, that's what it would be.
Don't get me wrong, I like nearly every type of music, but if they dropped the Forties on Four off the XM menu, I'd consider dropping my subscription.
__________________
1983 M-B 240D-Gone too.
1976 M-B 300D-Departed.

"Good" is the worst enemy of "Great".
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
Benzless Scoutmaster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,001
Quote:
Originally Posted by nate300d View Post
I turn 44 tomorrow. Musically I tend to be out-of-date with my own generation. I grew up listening to Glen Miller, The Andrews Sisters, and Spike Jones. I so enjoy listening to the Andrews Sisters. Just curious if there are any other Andrews Sisters fans.
By the way ... Happy Birthday in advance Nate!
__________________
Chad
2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
1985 300CD - Gladys
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-12-2008, 02:22 PM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuan View Post
I like huge orchestral pieces, played loud, with scotch.
That sounds like Mahler and almost anthing Wagnerian.

the scotch is ( obviously) single malt?
__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-12-2008, 02:27 PM
Kuan's Avatar
unband
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: At the Birkebeiner
Posts: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
That sounds like Mahler and almost anthing Wagnerian.

the scotch is ( obviously) single malt?
Yeah I like single malts, though I'm perfectly happy with a white label. I also like big choral works, B minor mass for example, Mozart's requiem, some Sam Barber, etc. Recently I've been listening to Ahvo Part.

__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows - Robert A. Zimmerman
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page