Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Mistress's Avatar
No crying in baseball
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Inside a vortex
Posts: 624
Cohiba's On The Way?

Raul is alittle nicer...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23611590/

__________________
"It's normal for these things to empty your wallet and break your heart in the process."
2003 S430- "Yolanda"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-13-2008, 04:01 PM
Jordan G's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 389
That reminds me.....still sitting shiva? I thought the ban was lifted last week?
__________________
1981 240d - 135k - Arlene
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-13-2008, 04:12 PM
Dee8go's Avatar
Senor User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 7,190
OMG! Raul is allowing the citizens of Cuba to purchase rice cookers, bicycles, TVs and other "dangerous" items. All hell is going to break loose now, boy!
__________________
" The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But, unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do."- Warren Buffett

OBK #55

1998 Lincoln Continental - Sold
Max 1984 300TD 285,000 miles - Sold
The Dee8gonator 1987 560SEC 196,000 miles - Sold
Orgasmatron - 2006 CLS500 90,000 miles
2002 C320 Wagon 122,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-13-2008, 05:02 PM
OldPokey's Avatar
0-60 in 10 minutes flat
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Middletown MD
Posts: 527
It's easy to open the door to imports when hardly anybody actually has the means to purchase said "dangerous" items!
__________________
1984 300TD

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-13-2008, 05:07 PM
BENZ-LGB's Avatar
Strong, silent type
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
Raul is alittle nicer...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23611590/
Let's hold off judgment on little Raul until he does something that is really worthwhile.

With Orwellian logic the Cuban government writes:

"Based on the improved availability of electricity the government at the highest level has approved the sale of some equipment which was prohibited," said an internal government memo seen by Reuters.

It listed computers, video and DVD players, 19-inch and 24-inch television sets, electric pressure cookers and rice cookers, electric bicycles, car alarms and microwaves that can now be freely bought by Cubans.


Did you all catch that? Due to improved availability of electricity, the Cuban people may now buy things like .... car alarms!

Hmmm??? Car alarms that run on A/C electricity? Really?

As usual, the Communist regime is interested in only one thing: preserving the status quo at all costs.

There is more (from an MSNBC blog):

Thursday’s measures list computers, video and DVD players, 19-inch and 24-inch television sets, electric pressure cookers and rice cookers, electric bicycles, car alarms and microwaves as items that Cubans will now be allowed to buy.

While some people here will rejoice in the changes, you have to remember that most working people earn the equivalent of about $25 a month and can barely make ends meet. All retail is run by the government and averages a 240 percent markup as legislated by Cuban law.


An average Cuban, making about $25/month now has the privilege of buying a 19" TV set, at a 240% government mandated mark-up, just so he can watch the two channels of government control TV currently available.

Progress indeed!

Mistress, thanks for sitting Shiva for me and for the "other" lawyer. You are a true friend. As soon as I legally can, you will get a box of Cuba's finest cigars, especially made for you -- rolled on the thighs of virgins!
__________________
Current Benzes

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-13-2008, 05:10 PM
BENZ-LGB's Avatar
Strong, silent type
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan G View Post
That reminds me.....still sitting shiva? I thought the ban was lifted last week?
Yes it has.

I was waiting to make a grand entrance, with some long and witty posting about the life of the exiled.

But you guys kept baiting me with all of these stories about Cuba that I had no choice but to make my entry this way.

But the thread on the life of the banned-exiled will be up soon. I plan to call it Memoirs from the SF Gulag!

Mistress, you are henceforth released from your shiva duties. Go forth and crack that whip !
__________________
Current Benzes

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Dee8go's Avatar
Senor User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 7,190
Welcome back, Ernesto!
__________________
" The market, like the Lord, helps those who help themselves. But, unlike the Lord, the market does not forgive those who know not what they do."- Warren Buffett

OBK #55

1998 Lincoln Continental - Sold
Max 1984 300TD 285,000 miles - Sold
The Dee8gonator 1987 560SEC 196,000 miles - Sold
Orgasmatron - 2006 CLS500 90,000 miles
2002 C320 Wagon 122,000 miles
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-13-2008, 05:18 PM
BENZ-LGB's Avatar
Strong, silent type
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee8go View Post
Welcome back, Ernesto!
Gracias!
__________________
Current Benzes

1989 300TE "Alice"
1990 300CE "Sam Spade"
1991 300CE "Beowulf" RIP (06.1991 - 10.10.2007)
1998 E320 "Orson"
2002 C320 Wagon "Molly Fox"

Res non semper sunt quae esse videntur

My Gallery

Not in this weather!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Jim B.'s Avatar
Who's flying this thing ?
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. California./ N. Nevada
Posts: 3,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZ-LGB View Post
.

Progress indeed!

Mistress, thanks for sitting Shiva for me and for the "other" lawyer. You are a true friend. As soon as I legally can, you will get a box of Cuba's finest cigars, especially made for you -- rolled on the thighs of virgins!

^^^^^ TMI !!!!


Un gran abrazo!!! Welcome back Ernesto!!!

Are you coming up to the Diesel Drive 3/29?

My car is coming out of 3 weeks in the paint and resto shop tomorrow, and it should be all cleaned up in time.
__________________
1991 560 SEC AMG, 199k <---- 300 hp 10:1 ECE euro HV ...

1995 E 420, 170k "The Red Plum" (sold)

2015 BMW 535i xdrive awd Stage 1 DINAN, 6k, <----364 hp

1967 Mercury Cougar, 49k

2013 Jaguar XF, 20k <----340 hp Supercharged, All Wheel Drive (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-13-2008, 07:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZ-LGB View Post
Let's hold off judgment on little Raul until he does something that is really worthwhile.

With Orwellian logic the Cuban government writes:

"Based on the improved availability of electricity the government at the highest level has approved the sale of some equipment which was prohibited," said an internal government memo seen by Reuters.

It listed computers, video and DVD players, 19-inch and 24-inch television sets, electric pressure cookers and rice cookers, electric bicycles, car alarms and microwaves that can now be freely bought by Cubans.

Did you all catch that? Due to improved availability of electricity, the Cuban people may now buy things like .... car alarms!

Hmmm??? Car alarms that run on A/C electricity? Really?

As usual, the Communist regime is interested in only one thing: preserving the status quo at all costs.

There is more (from an MSNBC blog):

Thursday’s measures list computers, video and DVD players, 19-inch and 24-inch television sets, electric pressure cookers and rice cookers, electric bicycles, car alarms and microwaves as items that Cubans will now be allowed to buy.

While some people here will rejoice in the changes, you have to remember that most working people earn the equivalent of about $25 a month and can barely make ends meet. All retail is run by the government and averages a 240 percent markup as legislated by Cuban law.

An average Cuban, making about $25/month now has the privilege of buying a 19" TV set, at a 240% government mandated mark-up, just so he can watch the two channels of government control TV currently available.

Progress indeed!

Mistress, thanks for sitting Shiva for me and for the "other" lawyer. You are a true friend. As soon as I legally can, you will get a box of Cuba's finest cigars, especially made for you -- rolled on the thighs of virgins!

It's a reprise of Cold-War-era Russia, where you had to commit three years of income to buy a roll of toilet paper, which was on a four-year waiting list...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-13-2008, 09:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 3,789
240% markup at the government store?!?! Who are the capitalist pigs now?

I noticed the part about the improved availability of electricity. What did you expect them to say? "Sorry, we've been idiots by prohibiting a lot of harmless stuff, so here you go."
__________________
Whoever said there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes never had a cheap Jaguar.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 367,xxx miles
08 Triumph Street Triple 30,xxx miles, lowered 10mm in front, Pirelli Angel GT tires, EBC HH brake pads, otherwise stock.
88 Jaguar XJS V12 93,xxx miles. I should be in the garage now.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 AM
Jordan G's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZ-LGB View Post
Yes it has.

I was waiting to make a grand entrance, with some long and witty posting about the life of the exiled.

But you guys kept baiting me with all of these stories about Cuba that I had no choice but to make my entry this way.

But the thread on the life of the banned-exiled will be up soon. I plan to call it Memoirs from the SF Gulag!

Mistress, you are henceforth released from your shiva duties. Go forth and crack that whip !
The Mshop world finally makes sense again. We still need Carleton back though....that crazy bugger's been AWOL for what seems like an eternity.

I suppose JD is making us wait with antici..........pation?
__________________
1981 240d - 135k - Arlene
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-17-2008, 03:12 PM
Mistress's Avatar
No crying in baseball
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Inside a vortex
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENZ-LGB View Post
Yes it has.

I was waiting to make a grand entrance, with some long and witty posting about the life of the exiled.

But you guys kept baiting me with all of these stories about Cuba that I had no choice but to make my entry this way.

But the thread on the life of the banned-exiled will be up soon. I plan to call it Memoirs from the SF Gulag!

Mistress, you are henceforth released from your shiva duties. Go forth and crack that whip !
I am very pleased you are back, but alas my whip will remain still until the return of JD...i promised shiva for the both of you. On any note we are very glad your back....now get in there and stir up the ant pile will ya?

__________________
"It's normal for these things to empty your wallet and break your heart in the process."
2003 S430- "Yolanda"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page