Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
New reality!

This is scary! I was browsing the classified section of Yachting magazine. Which sucks BTW, Power & Motor Yacht is much better but I got Yachting for free for a year so couldn't pass it up. Anyway a lot of the boats have the little "E" in front of the asking prices!(remember these are used boats, most are in this country as well...) That sucks, a lot of boats just got a lot more expensive for Americans! First time I have ever noticed this. The price increases on all the European boats and parts are going to be shocking!

Man my dream Swan just went up in price.

__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2008, 01:06 AM
djugurba's Avatar
say: Jook-Ur-Pah
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lake Boon, MA
Posts: 987
Actually, your internet browsing habits are being monitored and your periodicals adjusted for accessibility. The cognoscenti offering yachts for sale are privy to your Toby Kieth interest, and are using their web savvy to make any/all desirable yachts cost prohibitive for you. On Nantucket, where they flit in and out over the summer with day trips over to Marblehead and up to Castine, Camden and Bar Harbor, Toby Kieth is not welcome - musically or in dress code (though his politics might be welcome). Now, if you want a pontoon boat in Lake Powell, I'm sure a deal can be made.

The Greenback is taking a big beating. It's interesting that it's not a bigger deal in the press, because oil prices aren't really skyrocketing solely due to higher oil prices... they're rising because it takes more of our floundering dollars to buy the same amount at the same cost. Chart the cost vs. a stronger currency for the same period and it will look much more reasonable. But, that's un-american... and Toby Kieth probably wouldn't like it...

There are places in NYC taking only Euros these days. I've got some Lire in a drawer... too bad it's defunct!
__________________
Cannondale ST600 XL
Redline Monocog 29er
2011 Mini Cooper Clubman
2005 Honda Element EX

www.djugurba.com
www.waldenwellness.com
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2008, 08:19 AM
SwampYankee's Avatar
New England Hick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,501
Thankfully those of us who do their boat daydreaming in Northeast Boating, and to a lesser extend Soundings, are seeing the exact opposite. The nature of the current economy, its effects on those closer to retirement and fuel prices are making for some pretty favorable pricing in the bourgeois sub-40' market. If things stay the same come October, and it probably will, there might be a bigger boat in the yard.
__________________

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2008, 09:52 AM
POS's Avatar
POS POS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,506
Boats depreciate worse than cars, and I can use the cars more often.
__________________
- Brian


1989 500SEL Euro
1966 250SE Cabriolet
1958 BMW Isetta 600
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2008, 09:56 AM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS View Post
Boats depreciate worse than cars, and I can use the cars more often.
Cars are boring you can't go anywhere.
__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
Thankfully those of us who do their boat daydreaming in Northeast Boating, and to a lesser extend Soundings, are seeing the exact opposite. The nature of the current economy, its effects on those closer to retirement and fuel prices are making for some pretty favorable pricing in the bourgeois sub-40' market. If things stay the same come October, and it probably will, there might be a bigger boat in the yard.
Yep I have been noticing that trend. You can probably pick up a 40ft diesel Egg for under $100k these days.
__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2008, 10:54 AM
SwampYankee's Avatar
New England Hick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy View Post
Yep I have been noticing that trend. You can probably pick up a 40ft diesel Egg for under $100k these days.
My father picked the worst possible time to downsize except for the possibility that guys with 40's may be looking to get into 33's. Although he'd be the first to admit he got his money's worth of enjoyment out of it. It's just too big for he and my mother to handle if they don't have someone else cruising with them now that they've put some more years under the belt. He's looking for a trailerable 26-28' but isn't going to start looking until his current one is sold, he listed it with Peter Fisher @ Fish Yacht Sales in Niantic early in the winter and has started getting some action on it now that we're creeping closer to spring.

A little more in my neighborhood, if you come across any older 11' Whalers in your travels along the shore let me know. I'm looking for one for my kids to learn with. A 13' would make more sense but I can get away with putting an 11' at the dinghy dock and not have to get a slip. They aren't very easy to find, at least without looking too hard.
__________________

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2008, 10:57 AM
SwampYankee's Avatar
New England Hick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS View Post
Boats depreciate worse than cars, and I can use the cars more often.
I look at it as my waterfront property, which I could never afford, with the ability to move it wherever I want. Don't crush my little rationalization.
__________________

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2008, 12:02 PM
djugurba's Avatar
say: Jook-Ur-Pah
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lake Boon, MA
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
Thankfully those of us who do their boat daydreaming in Northeast Boating, and to a lesser extend Soundings, are seeing the exact opposite. The nature of the current economy, its effects on those closer to retirement and fuel prices are making for some pretty favorable pricing in the bourgeois sub-40' market. If things stay the same come October, and it probably will, there might be a bigger boat in the yard.
Interesting- do you think it's a supply/demand issue? With housing values having declined in many areas, it seems it could be that overextended folks with boats paid for with home equity might be quick to the liquidation market. Hence the lower demand, which would seem to lower the prices even further. There are certainly a ton of boats for sale for cheap on the cape and south coast this year.
__________________
Cannondale ST600 XL
Redline Monocog 29er
2011 Mini Cooper Clubman
2005 Honda Element EX

www.djugurba.com
www.waldenwellness.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 PM
djugurba's Avatar
say: Jook-Ur-Pah
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Lake Boon, MA
Posts: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
I look at it as my waterfront property, which I could never afford, with the ability to move it wherever I want. Don't crush my little rationalization.
When looking for our current house, I found a boat I could afford at a nice marina in Charlestown across the water from Boston. Amazing views, year-round amenities and the gentle sloshing sound by which to fall asleep. The fiancee is exceptionally cool, but I couldn't get her anywhere near it to take a look. I thought live-aboard might be fun to try for a while, but after the winter this year, I think maybe I'll wait on that until retirement when I can flee New England seasonally. Caymans? Tobago?
__________________
Cannondale ST600 XL
Redline Monocog 29er
2011 Mini Cooper Clubman
2005 Honda Element EX

www.djugurba.com
www.waldenwellness.com
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugurba View Post
Interesting- do you think it's a supply/demand issue? With housing values having declined in many areas, it seems it could be that overextended folks with boats paid for with home equity might be quick to the liquidation market. Hence the lower demand, which would seem to lower the prices even further. There are certainly a ton of boats for sale for cheap on the cape and south coast this year.
Nah boats are always the first thing people stop buying when the economy looks iffy. Its EXTREMELY expensive to keep a boat, home equity may be how you buy the thing but thats the cheap part. A 40ft Egg would cost you $10k a year just sitting at the dock looking pretty, thats before you do anything to it or turn the key.

As for living aboard its fun, but you have to really want it. Other than a few cloths and some books you have to get rid of everything else you own.
__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-22-2008, 06:05 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
My father picked the worst possible time to downsize except for the possibility that guys with 40's may be looking to get into 33's. Although he'd be the first to admit he got his money's worth of enjoyment out of it. It's just too big for he and my mother to handle if they don't have someone else cruising with them now that they've put some more years under the belt. He's looking for a trailerable 26-28' but isn't going to start looking until his current one is sold, he listed it with Peter Fisher @ Fish Yacht Sales in Niantic early in the winter and has started getting some action on it now that we're creeping closer to spring.

A little more in my neighborhood, if you come across any older 11' Whalers in your travels along the shore let me know. I'm looking for one for my kids to learn with. A 13' would make more sense but I can get away with putting an 11' at the dinghy dock and not have to get a slip. They aren't very easy to find, at least without looking too hard.

I know of a super mint 11ft Whaler, I think they want like $4k for it. New paint, trailer, engine, varnish, everything.

You should have bought my Grandfathers 315 Commander, you could have bought it for a song. That was a nice boat, a poor mans Bertram 31 or Blackfin.
__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-22-2008, 08:28 PM
rickg's Avatar
User friendly
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Utah!!
Posts: 4,494
Just buy a pair of "personal watercrafts"(Seadoo, ect). They hold their value real good for 3 or 4 years, then drop like a rock.
__________________
past MB rides:
'68 220D
'68 220D(another one)
'67 230
'84 SD
Current rides:
'06 Lexus RX330
'93 Ford F-250
'96 Corvette
'99 Polaris 700 RMK sled
2011 Polaris Assault
'86 Yamaha TT350(good 'ol thumper)
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-23-2008, 10:05 AM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickg View Post
Just buy a pair of "personal watercrafts"(Seadoo, ect). They hold their value real good for 3 or 4 years, then drop like a rock.
After watching how people, mostly little kids beat those things to within an inch of their life, I can understand why they become worthless. Buying a used one would be scary!

__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page