Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 0
New movie: Expelled > Oxymoron: Intelligent design

Ben Stein makes a fool out of himself by refuting evolution and Darwinism.

Worlds most ridiculous movie! In promoting the creationist propaganda film Expelled, Ben Stein managed to stick his foot in his mouth over and over again, issuing what seemed to be a ceaseless stream of ignorant, offensive, and just plain daffy claims.

http://www.skeptic.com/eskeptic/08-04-17.html#part1

http://www.expelledexposed.com/


Last edited by Idolotor; 05-11-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-11-2008, 03:51 PM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,238
You do not find the lack of freedom of speech a bit disturbing? I thought it showed a chilling atmosphere. I always had thought that there was freedom to explore ideas within the realm of academe; guess it is a closed society.
__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2008, 04:30 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 2,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
You do not find the lack of freedom of speech a bit disturbing? I thought it showed a chilling atmosphere. I always had thought that there was freedom to explore ideas within the realm of academe; guess it is a closed society.
I haven't seen the movie, so I might be missing your point. If you are saying that the expulsion of Intelligent Design from science curricula is a restriction of free speech, then I have to disagree, because Intelligent Design is not science at all.

The thinking behind Intelligent Design is similar to the thinking behind Fox News' "Fair and Balanced" slogan. They have twisted the concept of balance to mean that the media must report both sides of every issue, no matter how silly one side may be.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-11-2008, 04:37 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
This may be an overly broad statement, but I'm guessing that every Philosophy of Religion class at every university in the US discusses the teleological argument for God's existence which is the traditional name for ID arguments. The fact that this occurs by itself seems to disprove the claim that freedom of speech is being denied to ID'ers. The fact that ID is not discussed in Economics classes, or Calculus classes or Biology classes has nothing to do with a lack of freedom of speech and everything to do with the division of labor in the modern university. It's been many decades since scientists were expected to teach metaphysics.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-11-2008, 04:39 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
You do not find the lack of freedom of speech a bit disturbing? I thought it showed a chilling atmosphere. I always had thought that there was freedom to explore ideas within the realm of academe; guess it is a closed society.
The people that say they were fired or discriminated against, really weren't! Read the links! Stein is a hoax! These people are hiding behind I.D. for the reason of their firings, when they were not advanced for a variety of other reasons.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 40,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
This may be an overly broad statement, but I'm guessing that every Philosophy of Religion class at every university in the US discusses the teleological argument for God's existence which is the traditional name for ID arguments. The fact that this occurs by itself seems to disprove the claim that freedom of speech is being denied to ID'ers. The fact that ID is not discussed in Economics classes, or Calculus classes or Biology classes has nothing to do with a lack of freedom of speech and everything to do with the division of labor in the modern university. It's been many decades since scientists were expected to teach metaphysics.
Amen.
__________________
'Government is like a baby:
An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and
no sense of responsibility at the other'
- Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-11-2008, 07:23 PM
MS Fowler's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Littlestown PA ( 6 miles south of Gettysburg)
Posts: 2,238
Stein's movie is a polemic; it was not represented to the "fair and balanced".
__________________
1982 300SD " Wotan" ..On the road as of Jan 8, 2007 with Historic Tags
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-11-2008, 08:04 PM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Creationism is not science, thats why they are pushed out of REAL science classes.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-11-2008, 08:19 PM
BoomInTheTrunk's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rancho Cucamunga, California
Posts: 713
Just remember that evolution is just a theory. Scientist have proved that Darwinism can not be true, they just cant get over the fact. They all say just give it time and anything can happen. Well tell me this if you put a watch that was dismantled into a paper bag and leave it be will that watch every go back together, no. Another thing from Darwinism how could we come from the ape if there are still apes living today? What Ben Stein had to say about the movie was all within his judgment.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-11-2008, 08:23 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 40,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS Fowler View Post
Stein's movie is a polemic; it was not represented to the "fair and balanced".
Clearly.

Like Michael Moore.

Easily ignored.

B
__________________
'Government is like a baby:
An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and
no sense of responsibility at the other'
- Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Botnst's Avatar
What knockers!
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: There castle.
Posts: 40,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomInTheTrunk View Post
Just remember that evolution is just a theory. Scientist have proved that Darwinism can not be true, they just cant get over the fact......
Oh my. Can you point me to information on when organic evolutions as proven incorrect? I need to know.

B
__________________
'Government is like a baby:
An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and
no sense of responsibility at the other'
- Ronald Reagan
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-11-2008, 08:26 PM
ForcedInduction
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomInTheTrunk View Post
Just remember that evolution is just a theory. Scientist have proved that Darwinism can not be true, they just cant get over the fact. They all say just give it time and anything can happen. Well tell me this if you put a watch that was dismantled into a paper bag and leave it be will that watch every go back together, no. Another thing from Darwinism how could we come from the ape if there are still apes living today? What Ben Stein had to say about the movie was all within his judgment.
That is the typical response from people with no scientific understanding.

Quote:
Well tell me this if you put a watch that was dismantled into a paper bag and leave it be will that watch every go back together, no.
Problem 1: The watch is not alive.
Problem 2: There is nothing to put the watch back together. Lets turn that around on you: Did God make the watch in the first place or put the watch back together? no.

Quote:
Another thing from Darwinism how could we come from the ape if there are still apes living today?
That is called evolution. Simply because one group branches off does not mean that the original branch cannot exist on its own.

Quote:
What Ben Stein had to say about the movie was all within his judgment.
A very limited judgment at that.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,263
Quote:
Another thing from Darwinism how could we come from the ape if there are still apes living today?
There's a more serious problem with this line. Nobody claims that we descended from apes. What is claimed is that humans and apes have a common ancestor. Clearly that ancestor is long dead.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-11-2008, 08:35 PM
Ara T.'s Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botnst View Post
Oh my. Can you point me to information on when organic evolutions as proven incorrect? I need to know.

B
Uh... how about BoomInTheTrunk as an example?
__________________
1985 CA 300D Turbo , 213K mi
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbus OH
Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomInTheTrunk View Post
Just remember that evolution is just a theory.
So's gravity. I guess I can't complain to you when I fall down into the sky.

__________________
1984 300TD
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page