Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-13-2008, 12:12 AM
Emmerich's Avatar
M-100's in Dallas
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 678
Fence building question

Is there a gizmo that can *easily* be used to brace fence posts while concrete is hardening? Setting stakes and boards is a pain and I was wondering if there was some sort of device the pros use to do this. Being able to adjust them after staking would be ideal. I would think if such a device exists, it would need to be cheap because a pro would need to use several at the same time.

Fred

__________________
MB-less
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-13-2008, 12:46 AM
veggihatetank's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmerich View Post
Is there a gizmo that can *easily* be used to brace fence posts while concrete is hardening? Setting stakes and boards is a pain and I was wondering if there was some sort of device the pros use to do this. Being able to adjust them after staking would be ideal. I would think if such a device exists, it would need to be cheap because a pro would need to use several at the same time.

Fred
Ive seen where people just use other fence posts laying horizontally on the ground. when the concrete dries you just hit them to break off any excess concrete.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2008, 02:04 AM
mgburg's Avatar
"Illegal" 3rd Dist. Rep.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Onalaska, WI.
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggihatetank View Post
Ive seen where people just use other fence posts laying horizontally on the ground. when the concrete dries you just hit them to break off any excess concrete.
1 post-level (two bubble-levels, 90° separate from each other on an "L-frame") 3 small stakes, 120° part and about 1/2 the height of the post from the the base, then enough twine/string/wire to form 3 loops, one loop per stake and back to the post.

Set the height of the 3 loops of twine/string/wire about 1/2 way up the post, then using a stick in each loop (about 6" from the high side), twist the corresponding "loop" to the point that the post is vertical/plumb, then "capture" the stick in its final position to keep it from unwraveling...

Once the concrete has set, remove the loops and stakes and move on to the next post...let the concrete set 24 hours, then start attaching the cross-pieces.
__________________
.

.
M. G. Burg
'10 - Dakota SXT - Daily Ride / ≈ 172.5K
.'76 - 450SLC - 107.024.12 / < .89.20 K
..'77 - 280E - 123.033.12 / > 128.20 K
...'67 - El Camino - 283ci / > 207.00 K
....'75 - Yamaha - 650XS / < 21.00 K
.....'87 - G20 Sportvan / > 206.00 K
......'85 - 4WINNS 160 I.O. / 140hp
.......'74 - Honda CT70 / Real 125

.
“I didn’t really say everything I said.”
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ~ Yogi Berra ~
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Emmerich's Avatar
M-100's in Dallas
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dallas
Posts: 678
I like this idea since it works with metal posts as well. I was wondering if there was some sort of turnbuckle device that could be used for adjusting.

thanks
Fred



Quote:
Originally Posted by mgburg View Post
1 post-level (two bubble-levels, 90° separate from each other on an "L-frame") 3 small stakes, 120° part and about 1/2 the height of the post from the the base, then enough twine/string/wire to form 3 loops, one loop per stake and back to the post.

Set the height of the 3 loops of twine/string/wire about 1/2 way up the post, then using a stick in each loop (about 6" from the high side), twist the corresponding "loop" to the point that the post is vertical/plumb, then "capture" the stick in its final position to keep it from unwraveling...

Once the concrete has set, remove the loops and stakes and move on to the next post...let the concrete set 24 hours, then start attaching the cross-pieces.
__________________
MB-less
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2008, 08:56 AM
TheDon's Avatar
Ghost of Diesels Past
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 13,217
people?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2008, 09:51 AM
mgburg's Avatar
"Illegal" 3rd Dist. Rep.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Onalaska, WI.
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmerich View Post
I like this idea since it works with metal posts as well. I was wondering if there was some sort of turnbuckle device that could be used for adjusting. ... thanks ... Fred
Yep, there are...but in order to use them, you have to know pretty much the exact dimensions (distance from the base of the post to put the stake - distance up the post to wrap the string/wire around, etc.) so that you can "tweak" in the turnbuckle to set the post vertical.

I guess you could use a slide-adjuster for the line coming down to the stake to help take up/add the slack you'll have/need, then turn-buckle the post to vertical, but you'll still want to have 3 sets of each item to set the thing up...

__________________
.

.
M. G. Burg
'10 - Dakota SXT - Daily Ride / ≈ 172.5K
.'76 - 450SLC - 107.024.12 / < .89.20 K
..'77 - 280E - 123.033.12 / > 128.20 K
...'67 - El Camino - 283ci / > 207.00 K
....'75 - Yamaha - 650XS / < 21.00 K
.....'87 - G20 Sportvan / > 206.00 K
......'85 - 4WINNS 160 I.O. / 140hp
.......'74 - Honda CT70 / Real 125

.
“I didn’t really say everything I said.”
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ~ Yogi Berra ~
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page