Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:25 AM
Mistress's Avatar
No crying in baseball
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Inside a vortex
Posts: 624
There's A Hole In That Jet!

WTH?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25843853/

__________________
"It's normal for these things to empty your wallet and break your heart in the process."
2003 S430- "Yolanda"
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:30 AM
SwampYankee's Avatar
New England Hick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
I just heard the report on the radio. They said it was about a minivan-sized hole and it looks to be about that. Any speculation on causes yet?
__________________

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:32 AM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
Benzless Scoutmaster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,001
Wow ... that would be pretty scary.

My scariest flight was on my way to Jamaica. The pilot had a heart attack during the flight and the plane started diving. The the flight attendants started panicking and running from the front to the back of the plane. The passengers were left wondering what was going on for several minutes and this happening shortly after 9/11 didn't help. There were people crying out loud and praying. The co-pilot took over while the captain was laid out in the isle just outside the cockpit and they performed CPR. We made an emergency landing and the captain was taken to a local hospital and we heard later that he was doing OK.

No holes in the plane but plenty exciting.
__________________
Chad
2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
1985 300CD - Gladys
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Mistress's Avatar
No crying in baseball
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Inside a vortex
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
I just heard the report on the radio. They said it was about a minivan-sized hole and it looks to be about that. Any speculation on causes yet?
I'm waiting for WVO or DJ to chime in.
__________________
"It's normal for these things to empty your wallet and break your heart in the process."
2003 S430- "Yolanda"
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 18,355
"The passengers will be given hotel accommodation while the aircraft is being repaired, said Alfonso Cusi, the airport’s general manager."



We got it fixed, jump back on and we'll be on our way to London.
__________________
1977 300d 70k--sold 08
1985 300TD 185k+
1984 307d 126k--sold 8/03
1985 409d 65k--sold 06
1984 300SD 315k--daughter's car
1979 300SD 122k--sold 2/11
1999 Fuso FG Expedition Camper
1993 GMC Sierra 6.5 TD 4x4
1982 Bluebird Wanderlodge CAT 3208--Sold 2/13
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampYankee View Post
I just heard the report on the radio. They said it was about a minivan-sized hole and it looks to be about that. Any speculation on causes yet?
The only possibility that I see is corrosion that was not properly inspected or repaired. That airplane does suffer from corrosion issues and they need to keep on top of it.

I really like this statement:

"The passengers will be given hotel accommodation while the aircraft is being repaired, said Alfonso Cusi, the airport’s general manager"


They had better rent some apartments...........that airplane isn't going anywhere for at least three months.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-25-2008, 10:00 AM
LUVMBDiesels's Avatar
Dead on balls accurate...
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Red Lion,Pa
Posts: 2,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Carlton View Post
The only possibility that I see is corrosion that was not properly inspected or repaired. That airplane does suffer from corrosion issues and they need to keep on top of it.

I really like this statement:

"The passengers will be given hotel accommodation while the aircraft is being repaired, said Alfonso Cusi, the airport’s general manager"


They had better rent some apartments...........that airplane isn't going anywhere for at least three months.

Nah, It is in Manila. A few flattened aluminum beer cans, some duct tape and a couple strings of Christmas lights and it will be good as new
__________________
"I have no convictions ... I blow with the wind, and the prevailing wind happens to be from Vichy"

Current
Monika '74 450 SL
BrownHilda '79 280SL
FoxyCleopatra '99 Chevy Suburban
Scarlett 2014 Jeep Cherokee
Krystal 2004 Volvo S60
Gone
'74 Jeep CJ5
'97 Jeep ZJ Laredo
Rudolf ‘86 300SDL
Bruno '81 300SD
Fritzi '84 BMW
'92 Subaru
'96 Impala SS
'71 Buick GS conv
'67 GTO conv
'63 Corvair conv
'57 Nomad
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-25-2008, 10:10 AM
Fulcrum525's Avatar
Sing Blue Silver
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 2,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
"The passengers will be given hotel accommodation while the aircraft is being repaired, said Alfonso Cusi, the airport’s general manager."



We got it fixed, jump back on and we'll be on our way to London.

Yes nothing a piece of plywood and some nails won't fix...


At least the damage was mostly in the cargo hold, anyone remember this one?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aloha_Airlines_Flight_243
__________________
1982 300GD Carmine Red (DB3535) Cabriolet FOR SALE
1990 300SEL Smoke Silver (Parting out)
1991 350SDL Blackberry Metallic (481)

"The thing is Bob, its not that I'm lazy...its that I just don't care."
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-25-2008, 10:11 AM
SwampYankee's Avatar
New England Hick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad300tdt View Post
Wow ... that would be pretty scary.

My scariest flight was on my way to Jamaica. The pilot had a heart attack during the flight and the plane started diving. The the flight attendants started panicking and running from the front to the back of the plane. The passengers were left wondering what was going on for several minutes and this happening shortly after 9/11 didn't help. There were people crying out loud and praying. The co-pilot took over while the captain was laid out in the isle just outside the cockpit and they performed CPR. We made an emergency landing and the captain was taken to a local hospital and we heard later that he was doing OK.

No holes in the plane but plenty exciting.
Yeah, that's a little too much excitement for my liking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUVMBDiesels
Nah, It is in Manila. A few flattened aluminum beer cans, some duct tape and a couple strings of Christmas lights and it will be good as new
Bah, beat me to it!
__________________

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-25-2008, 10:52 AM
jlomon's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 310
Even with a minivan-sized hole in the side of the plane, Qantas still remains the only major world carrier without a crash. That is simply amazing.
__________________
Jonathan

2011 Mazda2
2000 E320 4Matic Wagon
1994 C280 (retired)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-25-2008, 07:09 PM
WVOtoGO's Avatar
Up & Over
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Usually, in the skies above you.
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistress View Post
I'm waiting for WVO or DJ to chime in.
Well, if your “mini van” is a really weird shape with a rough dimension of around 2.5’x3.5’ in size, I guess that part of the story is accurate.

The big green area is just the fuselage surface area behind the wing to body fairing that blew off when the fuselage skin failed.

I’m with BC on this one as far as possible cause goes.

I will add, that had that failure occurred a bit higher up on the fuselage and ruptured that R2 doorway. This story may not have had such a happy ending. They probably still would have landed, but more than likely missing a few pax.
__________________
1980 300D - Veggie Burner !

Last edited by WVOtoGO; 07-25-2008 at 07:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-25-2008, 08:27 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVOtoGO View Post
They probably still would have landed, but more than likely missing a few pax.
As you know........that's happened before with that airplane...........
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Medmech's Avatar
Gone Waterboarding
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 117
Remember that Air Hawaii jet that opened the sunroof?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Point, NY
Posts: 25,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post
Remember that Air Hawaii jet that opened the sunroof?
Aloha 243........was an old B-737-200...........didn't you google it........???
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Chad300tdt's Avatar
Benzless Scoutmaster
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Wales, PA
Posts: 4,001
In post #8 Fulcrum525 linked a wiki page that has a photo of the Aloha Flight 243 with the roof ripped off and the passengers still in their seats.

__________________
Chad
2006 Nissan Pathfinder LE
1998 Acura 3.0 CL
OBK#44
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work." - Aristotle (384-322 B.C.)

SOLD
1985 300TD - Red Dragon
1986 300SDL - Coda
1991 - 300TE
1995 - E320
1985 300CD - Gladys
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page