Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-11-2009, 03:54 PM
CINEASTE
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9
Mercedes BUYING advice?

Hello all.

As you can see at the bottom of this page, I am on my 4th Merz. I am looking sell it. I am starting a videography company in Austin TX and I am budgeting for a company vehicle. Since driving the '93 300e, I have become accustomed to the classy styling and elegant interior over the vintage ensemble of the older Mercedes. However, I am not into the cheaper looking and less reliable newer Mercedes either.

I am thinking for a classy, reliable, and sound company vehicle.. a 1993 300SD.

Does anyone have any comments or thoughts.. or maybe another model for reccommendation?

Cheers!

David

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Walnut Creek, CA & 1,150 miles S of Key West
Posts: 4,874
The 3.5L that came in the W140 diesel was known as the "rod bender".
__________________
Terry Allison
N. Calif. & Boca Chica, Panama

09' E320 Bluetec 77k (USA)
09' Hyundai Santa Fe Diesel 48k (S.A.)
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-11-2009, 04:35 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 3,789
I've heard conflicting things about W140's. Most will tell you to avoid the rodbender diesel. I've also heard quite a few people say to avoid W140's altogether. Others say as long as you get one that has been well maintained and is in good condition, you'll be ok.

Edit: Any particular reason you're getting rid of your 300E?
__________________
Whoever said there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes never had a cheap Jaguar.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 367,xxx miles
08 Triumph Street Triple 30,xxx miles, lowered 10mm in front, Pirelli Angel GT tires, EBC HH brake pads, otherwise stock.
88 Jaguar XJS V12 93,xxx miles. I should be in the garage now.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-11-2009, 04:40 PM
POS's Avatar
POS POS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 2,506
The w140s can be brutally expensive because they are very complex cars; certainly the 3.5 diesel engine ("rod bender") should likely be avoided. My suggestion is that you do what I did at one time - sell the w124 and upgrade to the w210. In terms of drivability, the w210 is light-years ahead of the w124 in terms of comfort and modern conveniences, while repairs-wise they're both in the same ballpark figures. And since you're a videographer, I'd suggest the wagon variant for hauling your stuff - a good w210 wagon can easily be had for under $10,000. Go test drive one.
__________________
- Brian


1989 500SEL Euro
1966 250SE Cabriolet
1958 BMW Isetta 600
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-11-2009, 05:34 PM
CINEASTE
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
Edit: Any particular reason you're getting rid of your 300E?

I posted a thread regarding the issues I am having with the car. General consensus is a blown headgasket. Here's the link top my symptoms:

'93 300e bogging down.. Misfiring? Oil leak.. And blowing white smoke?!

Also, I am taking a trip to Los Angeles for the summer and when I get back will have a new company. Wise decision would be to sell the car, use the money whilst in LA, and upon my return.. use the business plan to attain a company vehicle. Something that is Mercedes/RELIABLE/classy/comfortable/i.am.picky.haha
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-11-2009, 05:38 PM
CINEASTE
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by POS View Post
The w140s can be brutally expensive because they are very complex cars; certainly the 3.5 diesel engine ("rod bender") should likely be avoided. My suggestion is that you do what I did at one time - sell the w124 and upgrade to the w210. In terms of drivability, the w210 is light-years ahead of the w124 in terms of comfort and modern conveniences, while repairs-wise they're both in the same ballpark figures. And since you're a videographer, I'd suggest the wagon variant for hauling your stuff - a good w210 wagon can easily be had for under $10,000. Go test drive one.
Very smart reply, thank you. However, I've heard nothing but unreliable stories regarding the w210's. Have I been misinformed? Basically any model that has been made after Daimler threw in his 2 cents.... if that's the case, should I stay with an 80's model? If so, the 300sd?

Cheers bud.

David
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-11-2009, 05:52 PM
compress ignite's Avatar
Drone aspiring to Serfdom
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: 32(degrees) North by 81(degrees) West
Posts: 5,554
New (to you) ride

The w210s were designed and assembled in Myanmar.[by 8 year olds.]
(Think about it.)
Spring Perch Failure,Etc.,Etc.,Etc.

The W140 Chassis has it's own nightmares...
Buying one with the 3.5 diesel is Masochism.
If how ever you could remedy all the W140s ills (especially the Electrics) AND
install the OM606 engine [as a few owners have done] You would have the best MB produced in the last 50 years!
__________________
'84 300SD sold
124.128
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-11-2009, 06:15 PM
The Swede's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 286
You're starting a new business? Fix the existing car and worry about a new car later on.
__________________
'17 Subaru WRX STI
'13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
'13 Orbea Carpe 9-speed

Currently Benzless
Formerly: 300TD, S600, E55, 560SEL

---= The forest breathes, listen.
-Native American elder
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-11-2009, 06:27 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Phoenix
Posts: 3,726
An S350D would be an especially bad choice for the reasons mentioned. In that class a 95 or 96 short S320 would be a good choice. They are decontented, very reliable, lots of room to work on things, and also get excellent gas mileage.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-11-2009, 06:59 PM
CINEASTE
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Swede View Post
You're starting a new business? Fix the existing car and worry about a new car later on.
FWIW, even if I fix the blown headgasket, there are other things that would go wrong with it, that would end up costing (over time) as much as a newer car.

I don't know what to do man.. everyone has an opinion, but I'm looking for facts. What model will last the longest but still retain that charisma you get when you pull up to a client in a Benz..? In my opinion, a '95 c230 wouldn't get my rocks off if I were the client.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 PM
The Swede's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 286
I was thinking to wait a year and see goes.
__________________
'17 Subaru WRX STI
'13 Subaru Outback 3.6R
'13 Orbea Carpe 9-speed

Currently Benzless
Formerly: 300TD, S600, E55, 560SEL

---= The forest breathes, listen.
-Native American elder
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,307
Concentrate on the business, heck with the car.


But if you insest I'd look for a 2000-02 E320 wagon or sedan over a W140. Thats about as sorted of a MB as your going to find.
__________________
2020 GMC Sierra Denali
2007 Tiara 3200
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 3,789
I'm not sure what kind of clients you're after, but a Mercedes may send the wrong message. Many people don't know that an older Mercedes can be cheaper to own and operate than a new Kia. Depending on who your prospective clients are, they might see the Benz and think, "Well, this business must be quite successful to be using a Mercedes as a company car, they must do good work-I want to hire them." On the other hand, the thought process can just as easily go, "Hmm, a Mercedes for a company car. This must be some Gucci-crew outfit that charges ridiculous prices and soaks their customers, I don't trust them."
__________________
Whoever said there's nothing more expensive than a cheap Mercedes never had a cheap Jaguar.

83 300D Turbo with manual conversion, early W126 vented front rotors and H4 headlights 367,xxx miles
08 Triumph Street Triple 30,xxx miles, lowered 10mm in front, Pirelli Angel GT tires, EBC HH brake pads, otherwise stock.
88 Jaguar XJS V12 93,xxx miles. I should be in the garage now.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:18 PM
Skid Row Joe's Avatar
PRESIDENT DONALD J. TRUMP
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: #KeepingAmericaGreat!
Posts: 6,911
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbertolami View Post
Hello all.

As you can see at the bottom of this page, I am on my 4th Merz. I am looking sell it. I am starting a videography company in Austin TX and I am budgeting for a company vehicle. Since driving the '93 300e, I have become accustomed to the classy styling and elegant interior over the vintage ensemble of the older Mercedes. However, I am not into the cheaper looking and less reliable newer Mercedes either.

I am thinking for a classy, reliable, and sound company vehicle.. a 1993 300SD.

Does anyone have any comments or thoughts.. or maybe another model for reccommendation?

Cheers!

David


Yeah......buy a Hyundai.....

Cheers!
__________________

06 E320 CDI - PEWTER/CHARCOAL
2017 C7 Stingray Vert /M7-speed manual trans/3LT/FE2 - Arctic White / Jet Black interior
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Inna-propriate-da-vida
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
I'm not sure what kind of clients you're after, but a Mercedes may send the wrong message. Many people don't know that an older Mercedes can be cheaper to own and operate than a new Kia. Depending on who your prospective clients are, they might see the Benz and think, "Well, this business must be quite successful to be using a Mercedes as a company car, they must do good work-I want to hire them." On the other hand, the thought process can just as easily go, "Hmm, a Mercedes for a company car. This must be some Gucci-crew outfit that charges ridiculous prices and soaks their customers, I don't trust them."

Or, it may be "Look at that awesome 83 300SD!! I love those old diesels!! Hire this guy"

Or, maybe not.

I love my SD

__________________
On some nights I still believe that a car with the fuel gauge on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio. - HST

1983 300SD - 305000
1984 Toyota Landcruiser - 190000
1994 GMC Jimmy - 203000

https://media.giphy.com/media/X3nnss8PAj5aU/giphy.gif
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page