Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help




Go Back   PeachParts Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Discussions > Off-Topic Discussion

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-04-2009, 01:23 PM
tompaah7503's Avatar
Parts may fall off
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Sweden
Posts: 255
What Finland can teach America about true luxury

http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20090501/cm_csm/ycorson

Excerpt below, click link for full article
Quote:
What is true luxury? Just when I thought I'd settled on my answer – a flat-screen TV the size of Kansas and a leather-upholstered car that can travel at triple the speed limit – I made several visits to Finland.

Strolling the streets of Helsinki, the capital, I noticed a lack of grand architecture and opulent homes, and an abundance of modest cars. Helsinki was a nice enough city, and it had some gems of modern design, but part of me felt that Finland was a bit dull.

Finland seemed even duller on my next visit in July. The weather was glorious, but Helsinki felt like a ghost town. I learned that most Finns take a five-week summer vacation, and that many of them disappear for the entire time to tiny, bare-bones cottages in the woods. Curious, I wrangled an invitation to visit one of these secluded cabins. It was meticulously cared for, but lacked any creature comforts. I quickly realized that there was nothing to do and no one to see.
I don't know much about Americans but it's very true that going a few weeks to a remote cabin in the woods IS relaxing. Pick berries and fruits if there is any, chop wood, relax in the sun, take a nude bath in a small lake, cook great food.. and don't forget to fire up the sauna a couple of times a week.
As long as there's fresh water available (creek, well or tap) much more isn't needed. It's a bliss to get away from heavy traffic, screaming tv sets, computers and whatnot.
__________________
Tomas, Sweden
1966 Mercedes Benz 230S with OM617.912, automatic. Disk brakes from W108
1983 Mercedes Benz 300TD grey, OM617.912 and 5-speed manual
1983 Mercedes Benz 300TD blue 7-seater, OM617.912 and 5-speed manual
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-04-2009, 01:30 PM
Mistress's Avatar
No crying in baseball
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Inside a vortex
Posts: 624
luxury means different things to different people.
__________________
"It's normal for these things to empty your wallet and break your heart in the process."
2003 S430- "Yolanda"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-04-2009, 03:07 PM
SwampYankee's Avatar
New England Hick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaah7503 View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20090501/cm_csm/ycorson

Excerpt below, click link for full article


I don't know much about Americans but it's very true that going a few weeks to a remote cabin in the woods IS relaxing. Pick berries and fruits if there is any, chop wood, relax in the sun, take a nude bath in a small lake, cook great food.. and don't forget to fire up the sauna a couple of times a week.
As long as there's fresh water available (creek, well or tap) much more isn't needed. It's a bliss to get away from heavy traffic, screaming tv sets, computers and whatnot.
That sounds pretty darn good to me! As long as everyone is well-versed in the shrinkage phenomenon. 2 weeks would be good for me, though.
__________________

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Hatterasguy's Avatar
Zero
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Milford, CT
Posts: 19,306
Sounds interesting, but I'm glad we are the way we are.

I rather have a cabin in the woods and a super charged G55 to get to it.
__________________
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ
2007 Tiara 3200

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
-Thomas Jefferson
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-04-2009, 04:31 PM
aklim's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Location: Greenfield WI, USA
Posts: 8,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaah7503 View Post
I don't know much about Americans but it's very true that going a few weeks to a remote cabin in the woods IS relaxing. Pick berries and fruits if there is any, chop wood, relax in the sun, take a nude bath in a small lake, cook great food.. and don't forget to fire up the sauna a couple of times a week.
As long as there's fresh water available (creek, well or tap) much more isn't needed. It's a bliss to get away from heavy traffic, screaming tv sets, computers and whatnot.
Not if I have to chop wood and pick berries for meals. I'd rather go to a catered event like maybe a cruise.
__________________
01 Ford Excursion Powerstroke
99 E300 Turbodiesel
91 Vette with 383 motor
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-04-2009, 04:39 PM
awsrock's Avatar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Tinley Park, IL
Posts: 624
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy View Post
Sounds interesting, but I'm glad we are the way we are.

I rather have a cabin in the woods and a super charged G55 to get to it.
I'm sure there are a few Finns that do! Others might just take their 450 hp 603s there
__________________
Dan
1987 300SDL s200g, Herlevi pump, Elbe manifold, 722.6 collecting dust - 185k
Past: 1987 300D - 264k
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Kuan's Avatar
unband
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: At the Birkebeiner
Posts: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompaah7503 View Post
http://news.yahoo.com/s/csm/20090501/cm_csm/ycorson

Excerpt below, click link for full article


I don't know much about Americans but it's very true that a few weeks to a remote cabin in the woods IS relaxing. Pick berries and fruits if there is any, chop wood, relax in the sun, take a nude bath in a small lake, cook great food.. and don't forget to fire up the sauna a couple of times a week.
As long as there's fresh water available (creek, well or tap) much more isn't needed. It's a bliss to get away from heavy traffic, screaming tv sets, computers and whatnot.
That's what Minnesotans love to do. Add Jagermeister and you have the perfect vacation.
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows - Robert A. Zimmerman
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-04-2009, 08:19 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 578
My two favorite vacation spots...
A now defunct "hotel" on the Caribbean coast of the Yucatan. About 25 thatched roof huts with tents with beds under them and hammocks hung out front. No phones. No electricity. Gourmet meals served by lantern light in a large dining "room" (another very large thatched roof.) Eating 4-star meals with your toes in the sand. Self-service honor system bar (with ice in an ice chest). Every morning the chambermaids sweep the sand out of your tent and make your bed. Every evening the staff goes around and refills and lights the tiny oil lamps that mark the pathways in the sand to the dining room and bathrooms. (Plenty of hot water). Every morning the evening's menu is posted at the dining room. If you don't want what they're serving you can order fish instead. If you order fish and walk along the beach at about 4:00, you'll see someone from the kitchen staff whirling a fishing line around his head and flinging it out into the surf. What he catches is what you are eating that night. Activities: Walk along the beach 1 mile one way to the lagoon where an underground river comes hurtling out into the ocean... ice cold, deliciously sweet, and crystal clear. Walk about 4 miles the other way to the town. You'd see about three other people on the walk. Snorkel or scuba dive off the largest barrier reef outside Australia. Drive to the Mayan ruins, or just explore the Mayan countryside and meet some of the friendliest and gentlest people ever. At night... campfires, guitars... lay on the beach and watch for shooting stars. Skinny dip. Sleep so well. Lose total track of time and never want to go back to the rat race, because the beach has become home forever.

Unfortunately, this pristine 40 mile expanse of undeveloped beach has become the "Mexican Riviera," complete with captive dolphins and high rise hotels one after another. Very, very sad.

My other favorite place is my friend's cottage in Wellfleet, Cape Cod. It has electricity and phone, but barely so. It's very rustic. Activities: Sailing, swimming, oystering in the morning to get our dinner appetizer. Biking. Socializing with friends, drinking, eating, going into P-Town for an upscale dinner to remind ourselves of why we don't do that more often.

Simple, and nothing is more luxurious than simplicity compared to the lives most of us live.
__________________
1987 W201 190D
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-04-2009, 09:56 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Walnut Creek, CA & 1,150 miles S of Key West
Posts: 4,874
JonL - You'd like Plantation Beach Resort at Cayos Cochinos, Honduras; especially if you dive. I kick myself for not buying one of the smaller Cay's in the early 90's for $25K before it became a state owned park. Winters in Honduras and summers in AK.
__________________
Terry Allison
N. Calif. & S. of Key West

09' E320 Bluetec 77k
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 AM
SwampYankee's Avatar
New England Hick
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CT
Posts: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
My two favorite vacation spots...
A now defunct "hotel" on the Caribbean coast of the Yucatan. About 25 thatched roof huts with tents with beds under them and hammocks hung out front. No phones. No electricity. Gourmet meals served by lantern light in a large dining "room" (another very large thatched roof.) Eating 4-star meals with your toes in the sand. Self-service honor system bar (with ice in an ice chest). Every morning the chambermaids sweep the sand out of your tent and make your bed. Every evening the staff goes around and refills and lights the tiny oil lamps that mark the pathways in the sand to the dining room and bathrooms. (Plenty of hot water). Every morning the evening's menu is posted at the dining room. If you don't want what they're serving you can order fish instead. If you order fish and walk along the beach at about 4:00, you'll see someone from the kitchen staff whirling a fishing line around his head and flinging it out into the surf. What he catches is what you are eating that night. Activities: Walk along the beach 1 mile one way to the lagoon where an underground river comes hurtling out into the ocean... ice cold, deliciously sweet, and crystal clear. Walk about 4 miles the other way to the town. You'd see about three other people on the walk. Snorkel or scuba dive off the largest barrier reef outside Australia. Drive to the Mayan ruins, or just explore the Mayan countryside and meet some of the friendliest and gentlest people ever. At night... campfires, guitars... lay on the beach and watch for shooting stars. Skinny dip. Sleep so well. Lose total track of time and never want to go back to the rat race, because the beach has become home forever.

Unfortunately, this pristine 40 mile expanse of undeveloped beach has become the "Mexican Riviera," complete with captive dolphins and high rise hotels one after another. Very, very sad.
That sounds awesome! That's a shame it fell victim to "progress".

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonL View Post
My other favorite place is my friend's cottage in Wellfleet, Cape Cod. It has electricity and phone, but barely so. It's very rustic. Activities: Sailing, swimming, oystering in the morning to get our dinner appetizer. Biking. Socializing with friends, drinking, eating, going into P-Town for an upscale dinner to remind ourselves of why we don't do that more often.

Simple, and nothing is more luxurious than simplicity compared to the lives most of us live.
That's what I used to love about our camp on Sebasticook Lake in ME when we used to go up at the same time with the same group of friends and their families. We kids all grew up together and eventually everyone kind of went in different directions as marriages came and families expanded and those responsibilities came into play. I really miss those days and would love give my kids the same sort of experience. It really made me appreciate the simple pleasures and I think my kids would benefit from a reprieve from the "keep up with or out-do the Joneses" world their friends' parents place them in.
__________________

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-05-2009, 08:41 AM
R Leo's Avatar
Stella!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: En te l'eau Rant
Posts: 5,393
Quote:
Strolling the streets of Helsinki, the capital, I noticed a lack of grand architecture and opulent homes, and an abundance of modest cars. Helsinki was a nice enough city, and it had some gems of modern design, but part of me felt that Finland was a bit dull.
This guy hit the nail on the head. Helsinki is beautiful almost anywhere you look (except for the Soviet-style apartments) but overall the people struck me as quite humorless unless they had been drinking.
__________________
Never a dull moment at Berry Hill Farm.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-05-2009, 10:50 AM
mgburg's Avatar
"Illegal" 3rd Dist. Rep.
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Onalaska, WI.
Posts: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Leo View Post
... is beautiful almost anywhere you look (except for the Soviet-style apartments) but overall the people struck me as quite humorless unless they had been drinking.
Sorta' sounds like you're describing college!
__________________
.

.
M. G. Burg
'10 - Dakota SXT - Daily Ride / ≈ 172.5K
.'76 - 450SLC - 107.024.12 / < .89.20 K
..'77 - 280E - 123.033.12 / > 128.20 K
...'67 - El Camino - 283ci / > 207.00 K
....'75 - Yamaha - 650XS / < 21.00 K
.....'87 - G20 Sportvan / > 206.00 K
......'85 - 4WINNS 160 I.O. / 140hp
.......'74 - Honda CT70 / Real 125

.
“I didn’t really say everything I said.”
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ~ Yogi Berra ~
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 578
Check out this link if interested in the Mexican paradise... Apparently they've moved and been blown away by hurricanes, but may reopen once again. There's not too much involved in rebuilding the place.
__________________
1987 W201 190D
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-05-2009, 12:35 PM
Kuan's Avatar
unband
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: At the Birkebeiner
Posts: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Leo View Post
overall the people struck me as quite humorless unless they had been drinking.
Describes Northern Minnesota exactly.
__________________
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows - Robert A. Zimmerman
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-05-2009, 02:38 PM
R Leo's Avatar
Stella!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: En te l'eau Rant
Posts: 5,393
Something weird is going on here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuan View Post
Describes Northern Minnesota exactly.
Hmmm...Finland and Minnesota have just about the population.

Finland-5,244,749
Minnesota-5,220,393

It gets abysmally cold in both places.

Minnesotans speak an unfathomable language...so do Finns.

Finland is really far north...so is Minnesota.

It's gotta be Bush's fault.
__________________
Never a dull moment at Berry Hill Farm.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Peach Parts or Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page